Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 11:01 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,131,653 times

Advertisements

Last time I checked, which was last week, only 25 percent of NEW grads had jobs. That's terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 01:16 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,891,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You are right. Personal examples are so small they don't hold weight. You clearly missed my point which was exactly that by me saying all my friends from college have jobs to show your personal example means very little.

4.5% nationally does though. You may chose not to believe it since you don't have a job but that is the reality overall for college graduates.
still don't buy it, besides a job could be target or an executive

you dont realize the irony in what you said

Old 05-22-2011, 03:24 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,863,380 times
Statistics can be made on the spot, and jobs can be fickle. You might be employed right now... but who's to say you can be laid off in the next week, or month?

It can depend on the field. Remember when Graphic and Web Design was "in demand" in the 90's? Or so the commercials and ads led us to believe. Before the end of that decade it's become so oversaturated and even now any 13 year old with an average computer and Photoshop/Illustrator/Dreamweaver can do the job some adult got paid 45k a year almost 20 years ago.

I'm hearing Law and Nursing are filling up fast... so what's left? Seems every time I hear a field is in demand it's filled up by the time you finish that degree.

Or perhaps this is the lie we're sold to get us to go to college.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:05 PM

10,823 posts, read 14,898,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Meanwhile those convinced that college is waste of time can go be one of the 100,000 who apply for McDonald's.

All those who romanticize the trades and consider college a waste of time should think about what it's like to be 55 and on a roof in the middle of winter because that's your only option.
I got to rep you for this.

Over the years I owned my own company and sometimes being very short handed I would help out by "going to the field" for a week or two of hanging pipe. On average I would do this for maybe two or three weeks out of every year.

It isn't bad, kind of fun really, until you hit 40 when the fun stops. At 50 it starts to hurt and at 60 you can't anymore. At 60 your body starts going downhill regardless of what you do you just can't move like you used to.

The last time I did this I was 57 and it about killed me. Took off at 4:00 AM with the crew, got to the job site at 7:30 and worked with 1" through 6" pipe until 4:00 when we went to the motel room. Ever make up a 21' joint of threaded sch. 40 with a pipe wrench 20' in the air?

At 4:30 I laid fully clothed (dirty) on bed from where I did not move for 13 hours because I couldn't. I got done with the week but I knew my days of "helping out" were over.

And being a plumber? 90% of a plumbers work is cleaning other peoples poo poo out of pipes and drains. This is not romantic and to call it dirty work is an understatement.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:09 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,965,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I know no one from college that doesn't have a job. Personal examples don't really hold much weight when you are talking about a huge population like this.
I tried making a similar point on another thread. The argument was trying to be made that the new norm in America is that young adults are moving back in with parents. So, because Bob has a couple of cousins with engineering degrees (from where, may I ask?) who bag groceries, it's horrible for ALL engineers. I hate, hate, hate when people use this silly logic.

Granted, it is tough out there. I've been struggling to find a job, but only for a week or so. I'm currently employed, have a supposedly in demand degree from a top school, have some experience now and nobody's biting on my resume. That's not to say everyone I know with similar credentials has had just as hard of a time.

Last edited by Z3N1TH 0N3; 05-22-2011 at 04:55 PM..

Old 05-22-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
Last time I checked, which was last week, only 25 percent of NEW grads had jobs. That's terrible.
What source were you referring to?

Old 05-22-2011, 05:42 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,175,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
So, because Bob has a couple of cousins with engineering degrees (from where, may I ask?) who bag groceries, it's horrible for ALL engineers. I hate, hate, hate when people use this silly logic.
It is very common on this forum, people discounting multiple sources of information because they know someone with whatever degree and they currently work in fast food.

They'll take the assumptions that statistics are made up because of the tiny slice sample set they see in front of their eyes.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
It is very common on this forum, people discounting multiple sources of information because they know someone with whatever degree and they currently work in fast food.

They'll take the assumptions that statistics are made up because of the tiny slice sample set they see in front of their eyes.
Well, when you're in a tight spot, it's easier to see the world as they do. Like I said, I'm job searching now and there's not much out there. I have an economics degree from a pretty decent university. After submitting about 40 apps so far in the past couple months, I haven't had a single interview. I make alright money now, I'm just looking for a place that will offer more room to grow down the road. So, I'm not quite as desperate and/or discouraged as those on here who are unemployed and have been for an extended period of time. I can understand their biased world view.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:01 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,175,851 times
I know your situation, and like I said before I'd be looking too. Seems bad now could you imagine five years from now if the stagnation you've mentioned persists?

Good luck, you seem like a smart guy I'm sure you'll find your way and find success.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:50 AM

880 posts, read 1,795,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Meanwhile those convinced that college is waste of time can go be one of the 100,000 who apply for McDonald's.

All those who romanticize the trades and consider college a waste of time should think about what it's like to be 55 and on a roof in the middle of winter because that's your only option.
You clearly have no idea what your talking about, have you ever heard of the IT industry, Electrician, Auto tech? I guarantee many college grads were the ones apply at McDonalds and the difference between them and the others is about 30k in student loan debt. In fact, that's probably one of the main employers provided to get the rate to 4.5%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment