Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:39 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I have over 30 years experience doing administrative support work and I'm a male. I was never made to feel that my role was inferior at any of the many companies I've worked for. It seems to me that the people who asked you what you do for a living are shallow and not worth your time, simple as that. Also, in this economy, be VERY grateful that you have a job, because some of us do not and would love the chance to work again. I was laid off from my last job back in mid-December and being that I live in a state with the second-highest unemployment rate in the country, finding ANY job (even fast food and retail) is next to impossible.
Seriously. This thread is so stupid it makes me think a 19-year old wrote it. I just cannot relate and I'm not offended by any comments about office support, etc. I'm more like scratching my head...like seriously? Wtf?

I'm choosing to make a career out of it. I'm an anal perfectionist and LOVE organizing and dealing with execs, etc. It just comes naturally to me and feels like really easy and straightforward work. I have no problem anticipating the needs of my boss, etc. but I can see why many people wouldn't want to do administrative work and that is SOOOO ok with me..more opportunities for me and the less people that go into it the better it will keep the pay lol.

It seems many people despise admin. type of work and are dying to get out of it. I suppose that's why there are people like me to fill in those spots!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 07:59 AM

56 posts, read 210,604 times
[quote=pinkybumpkin;19332680]Seriously. This thread is so stupid it makes me think a 19-year old wrote it. I just cannot relate and I'm not offended by any comments about office support, etc. I'm more like scratching my head...like seriously? Wtf?

You cannot relate? I thought I can relate to EVERYONE ON THIS PLANET.
Get out of this thread - ure so negative - go away!
This thread is so stupid, yet you're still on it a week later. To think of it tho, u must be an ugly person, I bet u have 6 cats.
Rest my case.

Last edited by Lucy29; 05-27-2011 at 08:14 AM..

Old 05-27-2011, 11:59 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,746 times
u must be an ugly person, I bet u have 6 cats.

^^Here comes the OP. As we all can tell, she's a sharp cookie.

Rest MY case. LOL

Last edited by BingCherry; 05-27-2011 at 01:20 PM..

Old 05-27-2011, 12:49 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy29 View Post
I meet people in bars, a movie theater, or simply going to a baseball game, and Ive just been not getting the positive/ friendly response once they find out "im just an admin". That's all. And yes, you are right, I would never want to hang out with people who care only about what you do for living and how much you make, its just it seems that that is all thats around, in NY at least.
Welcome to the new economy. 40 years ago, one of the greatest sources for social mobility was through marriage. Since women all stayed at home or worked in low paid female professions then, men didn't really care about the job prospects of their partners. They cared more about looks and how good of a mother their partner would be.

Since women started entering the work force and due to loss of purchasing power in the new globalized economy, the middle class standard of living now needs two incomes to stay afloat. More and more men are marrying women with the same earning power as themselves. They still care about looks and how good of a mother you would be, but now they also care about your income potential. What this means is that existing social inequality may become even more permanent as the well-off marry the well-off.

For example, 50% of American medical students are female today versus just 10% four decades ago. Physicians today are much more likely to marry other physicians, whereas 40 years ago they married more nurses, hospital techs and admins, etc. You had much more blended income/class families in the past than you do today.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:54 AM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
Awesome post.

The admins in my office KICK AZZ.......there is no way we could function without them. One thing I know about admins, be nice to them...they know EVERYTHING and will tell you the truth about the comings and goings in the office. We love our admins and when I get to travel, I try to bring them gifts back to let them know I appreciate what they do and don't take their work for granted. These people do things I don't have time to do and they have helped me do some of my project work when I needed help which is totally out of scope of their work. I have always told them that when the performance rating time comes around to mention the extra stuff they have done plus I always give their supervisors good reports on them.

In my opinion, the admin is the BRAIN of the office....they might not have all the intricate details but I guarantee you...THEY KNOW!
I started out working as a SECRETARY--now there's a job title you don't see much anymore. I've gone into various management positions now after being where I am for 32 years, but I still know that if you want to find out something , your best bet is to contact the admin staff, whether in an internal department or an outside company. They are the keepers of all the information.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:33 PM

299 posts, read 1,132,135 times
I agree with most posters that if someone rejects you because you are an admin, they aren't worth your time.

I have been and admin for many years and I am growing quite tired of it. I have a degree in communications and I got the job right out of college because I was desperate for money. I have worked at VERY large companies and the general attitude of these companies is that admins are second class citizens in the organization. It's a shame because without us, most of these people would barely know how to turn on their computers.

I would love to change careers but you get this stigma (like the girl being a stripper on the earlier post) that you can't get out of. It's a dead end job, so there really is no place to go in this field. If one is happy doing the same repetitive tasks day in and day out, then more power to them. I'm just not challenged anymore. BUT, I do have a job, pay my bills and I am happy to be employed considering what is going on out there.... Maybe some day I will be able to change careers....

Old 05-29-2011, 04:38 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,778 times
Dentists look down on dental assistants, lawyers look down on paralegals and secretaries, pharmacists on the techs, etc. We're living in a world of hierarchy. Most low tier jobs are dead end. If you're happy, do it well and continue doing it. If not and you have other options, take them. In this economy, I would be very happy to have any office job. No matter what you do, there will always be somebody out there who will criticize it, look down on you or put you down. It's called being a snob.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:43 AM

166 posts, read 442,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy29 View Post
Got a question for everyone out there who works in the field of assistants, and not only living in NY. I have been going out on dates/ meeting people and each time Im asked about "What do you do for living" I get embarrassed by stating what I do. I am a college graduate and I do like my job, but being an administrative assistant/ receptionist/ office manager...whatever you call it, people often dont take you seriously, and Ive been made to feel on several occasions that Im not smart enough/ worth their time because Im not saving lives or work as an accountant for that matter. Any thoughts? Anyone with similar or maybe totally oposite experience? Would love to hear from you.

My partner would love to have your job, at 57 it has been very hard to find work. Somewhere out there, there has to be a boss that will hire a hard working, never gets sick woman; instead of a young blond thing that is clock watching and waiting for Friday to hit the bars and party the weekend away.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:37 PM

912 posts, read 1,331,574 times
If you don't like your job quit someone else who has been out of work for a year plus will gladly take it . College graduate or not will happily take it .

Old 05-31-2011, 03:06 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,777,607 times
I know the feeling! I am an administrative assistant and I absolutely hate it. BA degree, currently in graduate school. GROSSLY underpaid. However I can't quit because I need to eat. Go figure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment