Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 05:27 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
I know the feeling! I am an administrative assistant and I absolutely hate it. BA degree, currently in graduate school. GROSSLY underpaid. However I can't quit because I need to eat. Go figure!
What the hell kind of job did you think you're going to land with a BA?
Also, you can wait tables. There are options. We're all underpaid. To hate it is one thing, but to be embarrassed by it seems really strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 12:30 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy29 View Post
quote=h0tmess;19326008]Perhaps the problem that Americans rely too much on their stupid job title rather than have their own identity.

Your job/job title =/= Who you are.

This is definitely true in this country or maybe in certain areas like NY especially. But reading all these responses positive or negative has totally changed my attitude, kinda...woke me up. So true, so many ppl are out of jobs bc this damn economy sux beyond understanding, and I must be meeting doushebags so change of scenary is what I need.
I dont understand why this mentality is so fricking imbedded in our society, that being happy, being "someon" is the type of work one does. Im on the train, bus, in a coffee shop...wherever...all I hear is damn work work work, how I did this and I did that, and Im going to be this and Im going to be that. Same boring conversations everywhere I turn, I hate it. Why do we live to work vs work to just live.
Very NY trait. Many other parts of the country are not so nutso on work work work!

Old 06-01-2011, 12:53 PM

346 posts, read 498,076 times
NOTHING wrong with being an Administrative Assistant.

I am one and work for a great firm. Good money and we are valued. I'm also with the others who say be glad you have a job.

As for anyone looking down on you- eff them!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent- Elanor Roosevelt

Old 06-03-2011, 11:52 AM

346 posts, read 498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
u must be an ugly person, I bet u have 6 cats.

^^Here comes the OP. As we all can tell, she's a sharp cookie.

Rest MY case. LOL
Furthermore OP, I wouldn't be so quick to knock those with 6 cats. People I know with that many cats are usually the finest people I know- they rescue animals and have amazingly big hearts. They care. You don't want others judging you for being an Admin, don't make quick judgements of them.

Pinky was just saying it was stupid to be embarassed to be an Admin Assistant, and that's correct. Doesn't make one an "ugly person."

Old 06-03-2011, 12:09 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip8056 View Post
Furthermore OP, I wouldn't be so quick to knock those with 6 cats. People I know with that many cats are usually the finest people I know- they rescue animals and have amazingly big hearts. They care. You don't want others judging you for being an Admin, don't make quick judgements of them.

Pinky was just saying it was stupid to be embarassed to be an Admin Assistant, and that's correct. Doesn't make one an "ugly person."
I honestly have to say that I LOL'd at that comment. I GENUINELY found it hilarious. Not even in a vicious kind of way. I burst out laughing because it was SO entertaining and I just cannot take the OP seriously. She doesn't seem to be the brightest crayon in the box.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:32 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
There's a difference between being an animal lover and rescuer, and being a sick hoarder. How can you confuse the two? I have always found that people who hate animals whether cats or dogs, there's something wrong with them. I'd rather see a lonely person with YES< 6 cats than have that lonely person commit suicide, take drugs or do something destructive. I own a cat who saved my life after I was in a car accident and thought I would end up being a cripple in 2006.She followed me endlessly everywhere in the apartment for a month while I recuperated and tolerated unbearable pain that on some days medication wouldn't ease.She was by my side 24/7. And I won't get into the stories about the cats on Animal Planet/Discovery Channel who alert people to dangers, get lost miles away and find their way home, and the news story many years ago about a cat who nearly burned to death after she jumped into a fire to rescue all of her newborn kittens.People were fighting to adopt her and her brood. Cats are amazing. You have a problem with them or the people who love them? Keep it to yourself. You lost points from me.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:46 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I'd be happy to take another Administrative Assistant job if one was offered to me. I'm tired of not working, and would love to go back to work. And I only have one cat, well my cat is an inside cat, but his friends that I feed stay outside.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:46 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I'd be happy to take another Administrative Assistant job if one was offered to me. I'm tired of not working, and would love to go back to work. And I only have one cat, well my cat is an inside cat, but his friends that I feed stay outside.
I started out as a secretary, and then became an administrative assistant when they stopped calling them secretaries. Eventually I was promoted into management, and now I can afford to feed my four cats.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:53 PM

38,862 posts, read 22,849,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
You and me both. I would really welcome the opportunity to be gainfully employed again.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:21 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,134,928 times
I'm a college student, and I work as an Office Assistant. It is a okay job, but some of my colleagues drive me off the wall, and the pay is so low...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment