U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 04:28 PM

27 posts, read 104,334 times

Advertisements

I don't want them contacted even after an offer has been extended or after I start working... my employer is going to be PISSED I am leaving and just don't want any contact whatsoever as they could really screw things up.....hopefully you guys are right...sounds like you are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 02:47 PM

70 posts, read 166,886 times
I believe its typical for current employment to go unverified....

Old 06-01-2011, 03:01 PM

4,237 posts, read 4,801,227 times
Can you give them a current coworker as a reference?

Old 06-01-2011, 03:24 PM

27 posts, read 104,334 times
I could give them a colleague who left the company who I used to work with...but no one at the company as we are quite small

Old 06-01-2011, 08:29 PM

4,614 posts, read 5,087,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettleblack View Post
I did say "not to contact" but I am worried they come back to me and say they have to in order to hire me
Given what you stated in your initial post, I would not be that concerned. if you meet the criteria for the job, and have solid references, it likely will not be an issue. When I have switched companies in the past, I have always said "do not contact" my current employer and it was never an issue.

I think most companies understand that doing so could get you into hot water at your current job and are pretty cool with that. If they're not interested in seriously considering you for the job, its a moot point. If they are interested, then they don't want to put you in an awkward position. At least that's been my experience.

With that, if you have a manager or someone else who worked with you at your current company and is no longer there, I find that that can be a plus, because it gives them a reference from your previous company without them contacting the company directly.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:24 PM

70 posts, read 166,886 times
good point tober...

Old 06-02-2011, 08:21 AM

359 posts, read 708,624 times
It's never a good idea to let your current employer know that your looking elsewhere for work.
They may find a reason to fire you before you are even offered a new job.
Then you have no job past or present.
Keep your intentions quiet until you are ready to leave.
Then give your two week notice once you are hired for a new position.
That isn't to say a perspective employer won't contact them anyway.
I once applied for a new position with no consent given to contact my employer at the time.
A few days later my supervisor came up to me and asked me why I wanted to work at so-n-so's.
I was totally floored by this lack of respect from my perspective new employer.
I was forced to explain my reasons that this other employer payed substantially better, etc., etc.
Fortunately he respected my decision and I made en easy transition.
For that reason alone you may want to consider leaving your current
employer off your application altogether.

Last edited by GM1258; 06-02-2011 at 08:32 AM..

Old 06-02-2011, 11:04 AM

3,534 posts, read 1,903,448 times
It goes without saying to keep your current employer out of the loop. Suppose you're not successful in getting the new job, how uncomfortable will it be around your office with the knowledge that you're looking elsewhere? Even if your employer doesn't follow you, they may 'get back at you' by overlooking you come promotion-time, or whatever. Yes many employers are that petty.... in today's job market, the employee is expected to show loyalty to the company, but apparently the door doesn't swing both ways.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:58 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,701,095 times
This brings in another point. I also don't want my current employer contacted. I would want a job offer, beforehand and to actually be working at my new job...but then at that point it would almost be unnecessary to contact my old job.

I've heard of people making offers to a candidate and later retracting them because their background check did not go through. Generally I have heard it's because a) they didn't pass their drug test, b) they were outright lying about having a degree and didn't or c) they (once in a while) have a pretty bad felony on their record.

I just feel like it would be awkward to contact my current employer at all..and then if I am offered a position..wouldn't that employer conduct a background check before I start working? I'm ok with that..just not contacting my employer, so how does one get around that and then start a job?

Sorry..afternoon "lazies" and I'm feeling sleepy...dunno if I make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment