Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:41 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times

Advertisements

Depends on where you live... Where I'm at (central coast of California) that's pretty good, Which is sad considering out ridiculously high cost of living. I make the most out of all my friends and I don't make much more than that.. With a BS and 2 AA degrees. The glut of college students means wages are severely depressed around here and always have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 05:50 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,221 times
That's pretty absurd that they are only offering an MBA level position with 5 years experience 35K a year. All they will get with that are people who need a landing pad while they look for other work. They can't expect anything different with that pay level. You'd be justified in doing that, but perhaps it isn't time to settle yet. Only you truly know your situation.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:05 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
I would be thrilled to accept 35,000. There are people with masters degrees working at Walmart. There is a woman with a masters degree working at my local Walmart. At least 35,000 isn't below the federal poverty level and isn't minimum wage.

If you stay unemployed for a real long time, you will be subject to mass scrutiny by employers. By then, you may be forced to accept minimum wage. It will be much tougher to get a job as a 99er than as a 26er.

Take whatever job you can get and look for other work while employed.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:10 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
MBA is not a great thing these days. You better take it rather than sitting idle.

Has everyone ever realized that secret, muted axiom that finding a new job is easier when you are employed rather than unemployed
No kidding. When you are unemployed, people judge.

MBA is not a good thing anymore. Many people have MBAs. A relative of mine worked with a CNA who had an MBA. A CNA job is the only job she could get.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:15 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
That's pretty absurd that they are only offering an MBA level position with 5 years experience 35K a year. All they will get with that are people who need a landing pad while they look for other work. They can't expect anything different with that pay level. You'd be justified in doing that, but perhaps it isn't time to settle yet. Only you truly know your situation.

Yep I agree TheEconomist, that's why I suggest to the OP take the job and keep looking in the meantime. At least you will have some income while still looking. I know I would jump at that salary.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:17 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
No kidding. When you are unemployed, people judge.

MBA is not a good thing anymore. Many people have MBAs. A relative of mine worked with a CNA who had an MBA. A CNA job is the only job she could get.
There was a time when MBA and PMP and CPA were like WOW. Sadly, they are a dime and dozen these days. Even a Harvard MBA is not that great, unless you are exceptionally awesome. Then you always have these offshore MBA

It will help you get your buns into the lobby for an interview, but it does not guarantee a career. I took one semester of MBA and dropped out..... best decision I ever made

Old 05-25-2011, 11:18 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,472,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchargers View Post
Hi,

I used to work for a F100 company and left because I moved to California to be closer to my family. I am looking for a new position and I declined an interview for a position today because the salary seemed way too low.

I have a MBA in Marketing and around 5 years of experience in marketing. Am I being too greedy in this tough job market by refusing 35k per year or is this just way too low given my education and experience?

What salary range should I aim for in your opinion? I live in CA too which is a very expensive state!

Thanks for your input!
Too bad you declined the interview. I think in today's market, you have to take what you can and keep looking while you have a job.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:24 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Too bad you declined the interview. I think in today's market, you have to take what you can and keep looking while you have a job.
Exactly. There's nothing like getting paid a FT salary while you job hunt. It's better than doing it on U/E rates. Just sayin'

Old 05-25-2011, 07:03 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times
Easy answer= HELL YES

It's WAY too low, but if you need it, you will have to take it and continue to interview. If you can afford to hold off, I totally would. That's sickening.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:42 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
Easy answer= HELL YES

It's WAY too low, but if you need it, you will have to take it and continue to interview. If you can afford to hold off, I totally would. That's sickening.
I meant HELL YES as in --that is WAY TOO LOW.

I would NOT accept it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment