Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 06:10 PM

43 posts, read 358,240 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I used to work for a F100 company and left because I moved to California to be closer to my family. I am looking for a new position and I declined an interview for a position today because the salary seemed way too low.

I have a MBA in Marketing and around 5 years of experience in marketing. Am I being too greedy in this tough job market by refusing 35k per year or is this just way too low given my education and experience?

What salary range should I aim for in your opinion? I live in CA too which is a very expensive state!

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 06:17 PM

217 posts, read 553,947 times
It all depends what your financial situation is. If you can hold off, I would. I'm job hunting now (I have a job though) and I've seen some pathetic ranges for what I do and no way in heck id take some of what I've seen offered. If I was broke, id be all over it though. I'm sure Cali is like NY where I'm from and that's definately considered low. All depends on your situation like I said earlier.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:17 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
Were the job responsibilities that of which required an MBA, or were you applying for an entry-level job (i.e. marketing assistant)? If it required a MBA AND it's in California, I'd say that'd be an awful company to work for. If I were you, I'd be focusing on the $60k/yr.+ jobs. Just make sure that you're searching for jobs that require a MBA, that way you should avoid the lower, entry level salaries.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
That's really not much to live on in CA, but if it's all you can find you might want to take it. Not that much available these days and too long a gap
will look bad to other potential employers.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:20 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchargers View Post
Hi,

I used to work for a F100 company and left because I moved to California to be closer to my family. I am looking for a new position and I declined an interview for a position today because the salary seemed way too low.

I have a MBA in Marketing and around 5 years of experience in marketing. Am I being too greedy in this tough job market by refusing 35k per year or is this just way too low given my education and experience?

What salary range should I aim for in your opinion? I live in CA too which is a very expensive state!

Thanks for your input!
What job are you applying for that would have this salary range?

If you have an MBA in Marketing but are applying for an AP clerk then no, the salary is not too low.

It is all relative to what job this is. We need more information.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:53 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,138 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for your input!
If you live in certain areas of California, sure 35k could get you by. But, if you have a family, and judging by your screen name you live near SD, then 35k is way to low. If that's 35 gross, you might be looking at under 30 after taxes and health insurance, etc, so while turning down a job is unheard of these days, it is definitely not a good situation.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:00 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
The thing is, if you accept a low salary with the intent of continuing to look for something better, and are required to submit salary history for future job apps, you could be hurting yourself by having such a low salary on your record.

IMO, companies like this are bottom feeders. I see them all the time here in DC too, which is also a very expensive place to live. $35k is considered 'very low income' here and qualifies a household of one to qualify for housing subsidy. A person with a masters degree should not have to live in subsidized housing, and any company that pushes the cost of their employees' living expenses onto public assistance is not worth working for.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:23 PM

43 posts, read 358,240 times
Thanks a lot for your answers. It's a "Marketing Analyst" position, they ask for a B.S in Business and experience in Marketing so it's not even an entry level position.

I am happy that I decided not to pursue this position. Marketing Analysts in San Diego (this is where I'm living) earn 50k minimum from what I've researched so 35k is not even close.

I have been applying for Marketing Manager positions mostly but just to increase my chances, I've also applied for Analyst positions and never thought the salary for that kind of position would drop down to 35k.

I've paid off all college debt and my car loans and I have an emergency fund so I don't desperately need this job but I'm definitely growing impatient...

Old 05-23-2011, 08:45 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for your input!
MBA is not a great thing these days. You better take it rather than sitting idle.

Has everyone ever realized that secret, muted axiom that finding a new job is easier when you are employed rather than unemployed

Old 05-23-2011, 10:39 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
MBA is not a great thing these days. You better take it rather than sitting idle.

Has everyone ever realized that secret, muted axiom that finding a new job is easier when you are employed rather than unemployed
This guy's already had one more interview than me this year and I AM employed.

I'm guessing that axiom holds some truth, but I'm certainly not seeing it so far in my job search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment