Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 12:18 PM

25,578 posts, read 56,455,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think perhaps you are like many others that value staus too much really. Not too uncommon even for those at bottom;status seen as inportant.
Y'all do know the OP hasn't been back to this board since June 2011. So, any comments addressed to him are falling on deaf ears, so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 01:55 PM

2,531 posts, read 3,096,958 times
I pick up dog **** during the course of my day. That is not embarrassing to me in the least.
What WAS embarrassing was being spied on, interrogated, humiliated, and under-paid by former bosses. Now I'M the boss and those old men can go swallow Anthrax.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:05 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Hey, don't hold back! Tell us what you really feel!
(Are you a dog-walker petsitter person? Hey, I pick up poop to keep my yard clean, from my hobby of adopting the less-adoptable dogs).

Old 03-09-2012, 05:58 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budfox10 View Post
I do agree w/ one of the later posts, that no job is embarrassing, but there are limits and everyones situation is different. I have a professional degree in business and currently work in retail for a bunch of uneducated morons, that are incompetant. So, yes, I have a job, and yes I am embarassed when people/friends come into my work and are surprised that I, of all people have ended up in a retail position that requires no educational background, not even a high school degree.
I'm in a very similar situation (except I don't work at FedEx).

For me, it isn't about being a snob, or being 'above' a job. It just kinda feels like I let a lot of people down, like my family, friends, professors, etc, who expected more out of me. Not including letting myself down.

A bit of an anecdote:

Every year my university holds a fairly well-attended regional real estate conference. As a student, I attended for the 3 years in a row. Because I wasn't a student, I couldn't attend this year because paying a couple hundred to attend the conference was out of my means (though, it would have made a great networking opportunity).

As people were leaving the latest conference, attendees had to walk buy my current place of business to get to the various parking garages. I was so scared that one of them would see and recognize me that I went and hid in the back office for like half an hour.

I know it seems silly, but hey, I'm just being honest.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:34 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
I never looked down at people doing low level jobs, - if they didn't do it then who would? We need people working at Wendy's to serve us our food!

But the low level jobs I've taken [car & bike messenger driver, 2 weeks as a factory sink polisher] - people laughed at me for doing these jobs.

And I guess I don't have luck in my career and God doesn't bless me so I just enjoy living on my monthly SSDI, improving job skills, job hunting, and playing video games.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:39 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I never looked down at people doing low level jobs, - if they didn't do it then who would? We need people working at Wendy's to serve us our food!

But the low level jobs I've taken [car & bike messenger driver, 2 weeks as a factory sink polisher] - people laughed at me for doing these jobs.

And I guess I don't have luck in my career and God doesn't bless me so I just enjoy living on my monthly SSDI, improving job skills, job hunting, and playing video games.
I think you are pretty blessed with SSDI and being able to play video games all day. Sounds like a sweet deal to me.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:41 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
I work in manufacturing. I just look at products all day and make sure everything looks good. Extremely boring, but sure as heck beats McDonald's!!!! I don't know why more unemployed college grads aren't applying for jobs in manufacturing and are going to fast food and retail.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:27 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I think some people who are embarrassed about survival jobs might never have worked them as students, or summer jobs, or transition jobs. This surprises me. In my very middle-class high school, a lot of kids got after-school jobs, and virtually everyone tried for summer jobs. (I waitressed and worked a snack bar at Howard Johnson's- Exit 4 on the Jersey Turnpike!). When I dropped out of my two years of college, I waitressed, tried a couple of factories (the frozen onion ring factory, anyone?!) and had a couple of horrible office jobs. Yes, I understand that going "back" to these jobs after a more professional career might feel bad, but I do think a lot of people who feel bad about having these jobs never had them when they were younger. Or maybe, they don't come from the blue-collar world like I do, and to me, they're "jobs," not a comedown. Work is work, honest work is honest work.
I so see new college grads who never had any kind of job, summer, during school, nothing. They are rather confused about what should come their way now.
Honest work is honest work. Frankly, some "survival jobs" have a lot more integrity (but not income) than some of the "wheelin', dealin' and stealin'" that constitutes many "professional" jobs.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:48 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I think you are pretty blessed with SSDI and being able to play video games all day. Sounds like a sweet deal to me.
Yeah, I admit getting SSDI is lucky. If there was a permanent cure for my Schizophrenia disability I wouldn't take it. I suffered a whole month of being a Chicago downtown bike messenger and probably only made $850. Didn't make much as a driver either. Min wage jobs and pay suck. If I ever worked at a fast food restaurant I would study their processes so maybe I can open up a restaurant one day too.

If I wanted to I can play video games all day, but mostly it's 30 min to 1:15 hrs per day video gaming. Job hunting and applying and investing in stocks takes my time. Plus I gotta freshen up my CAD and Eng knowledge for a job. Then I want to write an ebook and do web design.

I'm still lucky my Parents are alive and pay the bills and that I pay no rent. My only monthly bills are car insurance, internet, and Netflix. If both my Parents died I would still collect SSDI but I would work a job at a max of $1000 / month to supplement the SSDI. In the meantime I would look for a good paying job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment