Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 04:44 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times

Advertisements

For those bashing unions... Even if you do not belong to a union, they benefit every worker. At one time, union labor rates set the scale for everyone else. You might do a similar job, but if the union was offering a high wage, more than likely you could find that high wage minus a buck or two. Since unions no longer set the payscale, everyone's wages go down the toilet. So go ahead and destroy the unions fools!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 07:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
For those bashing unions... Even if you do not belong to a union, they benefit every worker. At one time, union labor rates set the scale for everyone else. You might do a similar job, but if the union was offering a high wage, more than likely you could find that high wage minus a buck or two. Since unions no longer set the payscale, everyone's wages go down the toilet. So go ahead and destroy the unions fools!
Exactly. Look at Florida which is a very anti-union state. The salaries from teachers, to police officers, to office workers are shockingly low compared to other states.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:19 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasmin503 View Post
I would hate to see anyones benefits taken away by any company and see Americans fall to poverty level so a company who makes billions can contiue to make billions while middle America suffers.

To your first point - benefits are not a "right". A person agrees to work for an employer for which they are provided with (usually contracted for) compensation. If the employer has a legal right to modify the terms of the compensation, then they can do so - if the employee doesn't like it, they can quit.

To your second point - the primary purpose of a company is to maximize profits for its shareholders or owners. Period. That is the primary reason for being for any company.

Do I wholeheartedly agree with this from a moral standpoint? No, I do not - just pointing out a simple reality.

Quote:
You might do a similar job, but if the union was offering a high wage, more than likely you could find that high wage minus a buck or two. Since unions no longer set the payscale, everyone's wages go down the toilet.
Neither unions (nor anyone else) has any business telling a company what wages they should give. If I own a company, I should be able to choose to pay my workers $1 per hour, if I want to. Don't like it, don't work for me. Granted, I'd likely never have any employees and be out of business in no time if I did such a foolish thing - but the bottom line is employers should be able to run their businesses the way they see fit (as long as it is within the confines of the laws on the books), which includes benefits and compensation. People can choose whether or not they want to work there. People have a right to quit and go work for someone else.

That aside, I don't have a big issue with unions (except for when striking workers engage in violence as a form of temper tantrum) my only issue is situations in which joining a union is mandatory. Does your field / job have a union and you want to join it - fine. If you co-worker does not want to join it, he should have that right too. I know I would likely never pay anyone "dues" for the right to earn a paycheck in the first place.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:03 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasmin503 View Post
It's sad that in this day and age most people don't care about thier fellow Americans working a decent job to support thier families. My husband works for one of the largest Grocery chains in So Cal. and by the way he is college educated , and he works over forty eight hours most weeks. I understand some union workers may not project a certain image to you, but for the most part they are hard working like my husband and many of them have been with the company they work at for decades. I would hate to see anyones benefits taken away by any company and see Americans fall to poverty level so a company who makes billions can contiue to make billions while middle America suffers.
I almost laughed out loud at this. Do you think that is a lot? Here in Corporate America, most of us work 50ish hours/week when things are light, up to 75 hrs/week during busy times.

I am shocked a union would fly in a grocery store at all...most of that is completely unskilled labor.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:31 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
This all comes down to increasing the amount that the employees pay in health care benefits from $9 an week to $21 a week. Why would anyone go on strike for a $624 increase in insurance costs for a year? We are talking an extra $12 a week and they plan on striking over it. I would guess that the stores had to renegotiate with the insurance companies over the cost of insurance and the employee is being asked to pay because chances are the company is also paying more.

Don't many of those people make more than $624 a week? Doesn't make sence to give up pay, go on stike, and fight to save that small amount especially when many of those union people are still trying to recover from the last strike. Makes no sence at all.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:29 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Don't many of those people make more than $624 a week? Doesn't make sence to give up pay, go on stike, and fight to save that small amount especially when many of those union people are still trying to recover from the last strike. Makes no sence at all.
But the union leaders tell them to - so they have to. Can't refuse and be a scab - you might get hurt.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:22 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
But the union leaders tell them to - so they have to. Can't refuse and be a scab - you might get hurt.
Oh please, your assessments of the unions is based on things you probably heard somebody say. Unions do many wonderful things, like making sure the worker gets their fair share of the pie too. There are plenty of unions in successful European countries like Switzerland, Sweden and Norway. They are much better compensated, and the companies are successful. Now we have Ikea moving production to the United States because WE are the new slave wage nation. Look up how that situations has been going, and how Americans are being EXPLOITED by foreign companies. See what happens when union busting is cheered?

Old 08-22-2011, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,054 times
Default 100 a week? I seriously doubt it will be that much!

I actually work for one of the big 3 and I just want you all to know that I voted against the strike. I barely make over 150 a week as it stands. Maybe its because I've only been employed at the store for a couple of years but as far as I'm concerned my wages are **** poor, I have to share my meager earnings with the union and I don't want to strike. I remember the last strike and I'm fairly certain that shoppers were the only ones that benefitted. Am I the only one that was consistently undercharged for my groceries? It was great! Every time I shopped the undertrained and overwhelmed scabs were consistently careless. When a scab checker didnt know produce codes they would charge me a flat rate of 99 cents, sometimes I was only charged 25 cents for a big old watermelon, pineapple and artichokes. In addition items were frequently unscanned. Sure it was my bad for letting them undercharge me but since the strike was such an inconvenience to consumers I did not care and still dont. Guess what else. I figured these careless scab might also overcharge me so I was very watchful during the checking process. Here's the weird part, I was never overcharged.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:11 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I almost laughed out loud at this. Do you think that is a lot? Here in Corporate America, most of us work 50ish hours/week when things are light, up to 75 hrs/week during busy times.

I am shocked a union would fly in a grocery store at all...most of that is completely unskilled labor.
48 hours a week is a lot, especially for blue collar labor. It's unfortunate you are forced to work up to 75 hours a week (although the overtime pay is probably fantastic). My wife is fortunate that her company is based in California and places a high emphasis on quality of life outside the job as well and knows it contributes to worker happiness. My own job offers significantly more time off than the average working person, hard to quantify in hours worked per week but generally 15-16 days off a month.

I have worked the equivalent of 75 hours a week and while the money was good (I'm paid hourly) it was not sustainable for the long term.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:41 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Oh please, your assessments of the unions is based on things you probably heard somebody say. Unions do many wonderful things, like making sure the worker gets their fair share of the pie too. There are plenty of unions in successful European countries like Switzerland, Sweden and Norway. They are much better compensated, and the companies are successful. Now we have Ikea moving production to the United States because WE are the new slave wage nation. Look up how that situations has been going, and how Americans are being EXPLOITED by foreign companies. See what happens when union busting is cheered?
Where is Ikea moving here from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment