U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 11:22 AM

13 posts, read 110,294 times

Advertisements

Do you know what the typical schedule is like for a Macy's Retail Support Associate? How early do they usually start work on an average week? Anything else you can tell me would be great, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 12:11 AM

7,972 posts, read 8,009,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddgreen View Post
Do you know what the typical schedule is like for a Macy's Retail Support Associate? How early do they usually start work on an average week? Anything else you can tell me would be great, thanks.

I work for macys here in Tennessee and I used to work for Macys in Seattle. Our days always start at 9.45 am and we close at 9.00 pm or 10 pm, depending what region you work in.
When I worked up in Seattle, our store closed at 9 pm but we were out of there at 9.30. Here in Tennessee the store closes at 10 pm and we leave at 10.15. Also our schedules are different depending on what region you work in. In Seattle, or the Pacific North West region, we all had set schedules, down here in the south our schedules varies every week.
A full time person works a minimum of 34 or 35 hours per week.
Really, what do you want to know. I have worked for this company for too long. I can tell you every thing.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I work for macys here in Tennessee and I used to work for Macys in Seattle. Our days always start at 9.45 am and we close at 9.00 pm or 10 pm, depending what region you work in.
When I worked up in Seattle, our store closed at 9 pm but we were out of there at 9.30. Here in Tennessee the store closes at 10 pm and we leave at 10.15. Also our schedules are different depending on what region you work in. In Seattle, or the Pacific North West region, we all had set schedules, down here in the south our schedules varies every week.
Really, what do you want to know. I have worked for this company for too long. I can tell you every thing.
My questions would be:

> I'm interested in a retail support position, which says receiving/processing or merchandising. Is that what you do? I always thought the back of house employees probably came into work much earlier than 9:45 a.m.

> I'd be interested to know what the difference is between the receiving/processing position and the merchandising position.

> Also, how much lifting is involved, and how often? (40, 50, 100 pounds?).

> If I get hired as a flex team person, how many hours do the flex people usually average per week? I'm actually interested in PT or FT, but not sure if they have any available.

Any information you can give I'd appreciate! Thanks!

Old 05-29-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
My questions would be:

> I'm interested in a retail support position, which says receiving/processing or merchandising. Is that what you do? I always thought the back of house employees probably came into work much earlier than 9:45 a.m.

> I'd be interested to know what the difference is between the receiving/processing position and the merchandising position.

> Also, how much lifting is involved, and how often? (40, 50, 100 pounds?).

> If I get hired as a flex team person, how many hours do the flex people usually average per week? I'm actually interested in PT or FT, but not sure if they have any available.

Any information you can give I'd appreciate! Thanks!

Yes, they usually make it in by 4 to 6 am and get off no later than 2 pm. Usually no weekends but sometimes it happens.
The difference between receiving and merchandise position is that the receiving people unload the trucks and prepare the merchandise to be put out on the floor. The merchandise team actually put the stock on the floor, do mark downs etc.
Im not sure how much lifting is involved or the hours for flex position.

I work as a sales associate

Old 05-30-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, they usually make it in by 4 to 6 am and get off no later than 2 pm. Usually no weekends but sometimes it happens.
The difference between receiving and merchandise position is that the receiving people unload the trucks and prepare the merchandise to be put out on the floor. The merchandise team actually put the stock on the floor, do mark downs etc.
Im not sure how much lifting is involved or the hours for flex position.

I work as a sales associate
Thanks. One other thing, do you know what all a 'floor move' entails? Is it moving those big heavy display tables around?

Old 06-15-2011, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks. One other thing, do you know what all a 'floor move' entails? Is it moving those big heavy display tables around?

An all floor move is as far as I understand moving around departments. Mens polo moving to another end of the store and dresses moving to another end. So it would contain moving large displays as well.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 34,567 times
Quote:
HI!!! What is a typical schedule for a full time sales associate??? I am about to start as an associate at Impulse ( by the way how is the department?), they offer me a full time with no more than 38 hours, my question is: My day will start at the store at 9 am and I will be at at 9:45 pm everyday?? what about weekends? maybe is a stupid question, what kind of shoes are wearing to work???? how hard is to wear black everyday? are you struggling getting ready to work??? how do you sell the macy's card? it is hard to do that?

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!

Old 07-13-2011, 11:13 PM

10,363 posts, read 13,703,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattylovesatx View Post
HI!!! What is a typical schedule for a full time sales associate??? I am about to start as an associate at Impulse ( by the way how is the department?), they offer me a full time with no more than 38 hours, my question is: My day will start at the store at 9 am and I will be at at 9:45 pm everyday?? what about weekends? maybe is a stupid question, what kind of shoes are wearing to work???? how hard is to wear black everyday? are you struggling getting ready to work??? how do you sell the macy's card? it is hard to do that?

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!
I jumped in here and really don't understand the questions that you have.

Let me answer what I do understand about retail and I have put in my time over the years.

What is a typical schedule for a full time sales associate???
Depending on your store and location working hours will vary. You could have the same schedule during the week. You could have a schedule where you come in at 9am and work till 3pm. You could have a schedule where you come in at 3pm and work till 9:45pm. You could have a schedule that rotates during the week.

they offer me a full time with no more than 38 hours, my question is: My day will start at the store at 9 am and I will be at at 9:45 pm everyday??
Your schedule as I mentioned above will probably change from time to time. Chances are you can speak to your manager and let them know the hours that you prefer.
what about weekends?
Its retail. Guess when most people like to shop? I would say that in retail working weekends is a given.
maybe is a stupid question, what kind of shoes are wearing to work????
Comfortable dress shoes.
how hard is to wear black everyday?
It is a dress code thing. Why would that be a problem?
are you struggling getting ready to work???
This question I don't even understand. How is it a struggle to get ready for work?
how do you sell the macy's card? it is hard to do that?
I am sure that they will teach you this but look at it this way, you have a captive audience and they are allready people that shop at Macy's.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:19 AM

1 posts, read 26,976 times
Today I was hired at macys as a seasonal sales associate flexible what does that mean to be flexible, how many hours will I get to work per week?

Old 11-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Status: "Sorry looks back, worry looks around, faith looks up." (set 1 day ago)

1,614 posts, read 1,413,652 times
You will probably get more hours than you want, due to the holidays and many other specialty sales (Black Friday, for one). Take advantage of the hours, do what you are needed/hired to do, and you may find that after the holidays there are a few full time positions available and offered to those who are interested.

I say this because I, too, just got hired for a seasonal retail job at a high-end department store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment