Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 04:38 PM

3 posts, read 6,260 times

Advertisements

Graduated with a degree in poly sci in 2008 and haven't been able to find steady work since. Worked at a restaurant, then had a few temp gigs in the city that didn't last more than a couple months a piece...I just don't know what to do. As we speak I'm jobless, and have been for the last 6 months.

Is there some field I'd have better prospects in? I feel like my political science degree is completely worthless. With no experience, how the hell am I ever going to get a job? So frustrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 05:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
A friend of ours recently graduated with the same degree and is making $70,000 in DC. He went to George Washington University and did summer internships for experience.That degree is really good if you are going into politics, or working for a politician. Being in DC was a definite advantage.
Some state legislatures will have internships for graduates, have you looked into that?

Old 05-28-2011, 05:03 PM

156 posts, read 318,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnit View Post
Graduated with a degree in poly sci in 2008 and haven't been able to find steady work since. Worked at a restaurant, then had a few temp gigs in the city that didn't last more than a couple months a piece...I just don't know what to do. As we speak I'm jobless, and have been for the last 6 months.

Is there some field I'd have better prospects in? I feel like my political science degree is completely worthless. With no experience, how the hell am I ever going to get a job? So frustrated.
Wow, I'm just a year younger than you and our stories seem very similiar, except my useless liberal arts degree is in Criminology. When I started college back in 2004, the economy was still relatively stable and there were jobs in my field available. Not the greatest paying, but enough to live decently. Unfortunately, after I graduated in 2008, the economy totally collapsed, agencies cut jobs, cut salaries, and for the few jobs left, they either require years of experience and/or have hundreds of people trying to beat down the door to get them. In short, I've also never made it into my field of study. I don't know if I can give any advice on what fields to go into, but I'm headed back to school in a few weeks to work on getting a degree in the IT field. Hopefully it works out better than my last degree.

Best of luck to you!

Old 05-28-2011, 05:11 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
What would you LIKE to do?

Old 05-28-2011, 08:19 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnit View Post

When you selected your political science major, what did you intend to do with that degree? Why did you select that particular major?

Old 05-28-2011, 08:30 PM

3 posts, read 6,260 times
I don't know, thought maybe I might go to law school or something. Also, the fact that I didn't have to take any math was attractive.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:52 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Law school, wow, what a great idea...more years of school, I know attorneys now who are fighting like dogs over meat for jobs making $60,000 a year.

Why not actually get a CDL, and do truck driving for awhile? There are always jobs for long haul truck drivers. A truck driver with experience who has a Haz-mat certification, and a cert to drive 3 trailers can easily make more than a lawyer these days, and get a job easier...oh yeah, no math.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Sales.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:25 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Law school, wow, what a great idea...more years of school, I know attorneys now who are fighting like dogs over meat for jobs making $60,000 a year.
For lawyers there is an endless parade of opportunity.

http://www.****lawjobs.com/

Jobs like this one.

Quote:
Foreclosure defense attorney job in Chicago

Small law firm, specializing in foreclosure defense and debt collections seeking a skilled, licensed and dedicated attorney to work in fast paced environment in downtown Chicago. Hours will vary but generally will require 8-8 M-F and two full weekends per month. Candidate should be a natural rainmaker with an excellent professional network.

Candidate will have to work off own laptop in our office. Laptop needs wi-fi connection and candidate should have their own broadband card. Candidate should also have working knowledge of wireless internet. We prefer candidates with an active Westlaw or Lexis-Nexis account. Spanish fluency is also preferred. Job may require travel to collar counties, thus candidate must have a car.

Pay starts at $11/hour, and after 6 months of satisfactory work, we will pay for parking and increase your compensation to $12/hour. No additional benefits available. Prefer top 10% and law review. Please include LSAT score and class rank. Please cut and paste your resume, along with a letter of interest, into the body of the e-mail.
Imagine paying $500/month on a student loan with that income in the Chicago area no less.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:49 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,807 times
Charles made a good point with sales. I have friends with degrees like yours. They made good money in sales. Nicet4 is right on about the market for lawyers it sucks. It is flooded and has been for years. Almost all fields are flooded beyond words. If you could get into a niche trade like Nicet4 is your best option. The CDL is a real good call. There are 15 to 25 million underemployed people just like you. With another 15 million unemployed so things will be bad for years to come. If you can get into the Navy do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment