U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-29-2011, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 459 times
Unhappy Resume Blues

Here's the problem...I relocated a few years back to be closer to family after 25 years in the apparel industry. I thought it would be easy finding a new career with a decent income. I've grown up in sales and marketing and consistently performed well above the norm.

Well I was out of work for almost six months when I moved, then had to take a job selling cars (yuck) to put food on the table. Since then I've been hopping from job to job...not necessarily on purpose...some were layoffs, bad timing (real estate, financial market), or attempts to better my situation.

I finally got a dream job in a field I was interested in and a salary I could actually live on. Three months in and my boss gets into a spitting match with the client and they pull the account...leaving me out in the cold.

Now my resume shows I change jobs almost as often as I change the oil in my car.

I won't lie on a resume, but does anyone have any advice on how to make it look more attractive to potential employers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 10:25 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,097,593 times
I would try the functional resume format or a combination of chrono and functional. That will downplay the dates (job hopping) and sell your skills and achievments (function) as it relates to the job you're applying for.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:50 AM

4,806 posts, read 11,431,947 times
You may also want to leave some of the jobs off your resume, if they were very short term (less than six months). Most people live in fear of the gap, but particularly in this economy, it's not unusual for people to have a few months in between jobs, and in your case I think it will look better to have a few gaps than many years of job hopping. Remember, a resume is a marketing tool, not a job application. You aren't required to itemize every minute of your life. You are supposed to use it to sell those skills and qualifications that best recommend you for the job to which you are applying. If you were at a job for only a few months, it's not likely that you acquired any special new skills or qualifications, at least not well enough that an employer will consider them. So there's nothing to be gained by including a short-term job, other than the fear of the gap.

Now, beyond the resume, you may want to consider what types of questions you are asking the employer before you accept a job offer. Try to suss out what their situation is. Ask questions like what is the average tenure of their employee, have they had any layoffs, what is the reason they are hiring for this position, what is their marketplace position/who are their competitors, what their short and long term company goals are, how employee performance is evaluated, etc. Steer clear of jobs where they are hiring just for one account or project, obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment