U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-29-2011, 05:43 PM

1,563 posts, read 1,578,672 times
Tender a professional letter of resignation, give them an appropriate amount of notice...and then don't let the door hit you in the hindside.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 06:01 PM

2,155 posts, read 2,258,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I have to quit my job soon. It pays less then the local minimum since its out of state and I need more money.

Problem is I have only been working there for about a month.

Whats the proper way to quit it?
Just tell your boss "I quit." It's as simple as that.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:14 PM

14,718 posts, read 16,677,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I have to quit my job soon. It pays less then the local minimum since its out of state and I need more money.

Problem is I have only been working there for about a month.

Whats the proper way to quit it?
Last year, I quit a job I worked at three weeks by giving a typed notice the day before I last worked there. Just give the written notice and go. I had a five month unemployment gap before that, I had nothing to lose by not giving a proper notice.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:02 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,146,372 times
I would just tell them it isn't working out and leave. If you leave after only a month, you're not going to get a good reference anyway. You're probably not going to be eligible for rehire.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,226,172 times
I would tell them that you cannot support your family on the small wage you recieve and must therefore leave.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:57 PM

10,005 posts, read 12,863,839 times
You have been there a short time. I am thinking you were looking for a job when they hired you a month or so ago. I bet you had looked into more places than this place for employment. Speak to your boss and tell him that another job offer has come up. Tell him that you like working with him, your current employer, but you have been offered more money at another place. Give him the option to see if they can match the offer. Nothing personal here, it is all about money. Your boss will understand. He may be upset, but that is because they have spent some time getting you up to speed at their facility. He will also have to fill that position again and that is costly to do. If you like working there you could use that as a bargaining chip.

You also mentioned that they don't pay the miunumum in your area. Is that for your field or the minumum wage, Or what? If it is a minumum wage issue they are required by law to follow the state standard. California's minumum wage is $8 an hour. NO employer can pay less than that an hour.

If it is an amount that most people in your field expect then I don't know what to do about that. Still you could use that as a bargaining chip as well. I would sit down and right out exactly what you want and show your boss how they can make a change to keep you there. They can only say no.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:37 PM

2,529 posts, read 2,625,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You have been there a short time. I am thinking you were looking for a job when they hired you a month or so ago. I bet you had looked into more places than this place for employment. Speak to your boss and tell him that another job offer has come up. Tell him that you like working with him, your current employer, but you have been offered more money at another place. Give him the option to see if they can match the offer. Nothing personal here, it is all about money. Your boss will understand. He may be upset, but that is because they have spent some time getting you up to speed at their facility. He will also have to fill that position again and that is costly to do. If you like working there you could use that as a bargaining chip.

You also mentioned that they don't pay the miunumum in your area. Is that for your field or the minumum wage, Or what? If it is a minumum wage issue they are required by law to follow the state standard. California's minumum wage is $8 an hour. NO employer can pay less than that an hour.

If it is an amount that most people in your field expect then I don't know what to do about that. Still you could use that as a bargaining chip as well. I would sit down and right out exactly what you want and show your boss how they can make a change to keep you there. They can only say no.

I live in connecticut and the job is in massachusetts. Connecticut's minimum wage is only a quarter more then massachusetts however ct jobs pay more. On top of that the entry level jobs I'm considering pay 10 - 12$/hr starting and the job I am currently at only pays 8$/hr.

Basically I'm trying to become a master automotive technician in 2-3 years time so while its about money its also about doing what I love and moving my career forward as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment