Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 03:44 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,695,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You always have the option to look for a better job somewhere else that does have paid lunches and breaks.
This.

if you don't like the "break" policy, or any other policy or any benefits (or lack thereof) provided by a company, you can either choose to go elsewhere, or choose to accept them by taking the job.

I have turned down job offers in the past because I simply did not like what they had to offer and / or the environment / rules of the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Nut View Post
Slavery's back?
If it was "slavery" then that would mean that you would not have the option to look elsewhere for another job. Since you do have that option, you are not a slave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I find it unreasonable (to say the least), that an employer wouldn't offer a "breather' once in a while.

"Pee break Boss?"
And, chances are, that type of employer will likely not attact and / or keep the best possible employees. They will likely move on to another employer who provides a more hospitable working environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 640 times
Ohio precision molding in barberton only gives 15 minutes for lunch. Thats 15 mins total time and not the actual time your sitting at the table (11 mins) try eating a meal in 11 mins the break rom looks like a bunch of starving animals rescued from the humane society.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:42 AM

303 posts, read 595,391 times
In the state of California, there are rules mandating 30 minute lunch break for every five hours worked, and 10 minutes rest for every 3.5 hours.

In the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia, there are no such laws. I used to work 12 hour shifts and not nary an official lunch or break to be seen.

In none of these cases are the lunch break required to be PAID in full or in part.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:49 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,382,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I deal with this too. I work 12 hour night shifts and I can leave to get food but I dont actually have an official break time to do it. Some nights it gets so busy with phones ringing literally all 12 hours, and I either dont have time to get anything or I dont have time to eat what I bought. I guess thats just how it goes though.
Yes, that is how it goes in businesses that aren't run properly. I also work 12 hour shifts. And I don't have that specific problem at my job, but I'm required to work through my preset breaks every now and then because someone "up top" made a promise to a customer that the workers in general can't keep.

Competence is only required of those on the bottom, you know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment