Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:56 AM

994 posts, read 1,830,774 times

Advertisements

So I applied for a job that I am really getting good vibes from (haha or just wishful thinking). The only thing the worries me is the education requirement.

The job description says that the applicant should have a B.A. in Marketing, Advertising or Journalism. I don't have one in that, mine is in Geography and Sociology, however, all of my experience matches up with what they are looking for. I worked in Marketing, Advertising and Journalism since 2007. Also I don't think they will be getting as many applicants for 2 reasons:

1) They posted the job on Thursday May 26 and the closing date for the applications is tomorrow June 1st tomorrow. So basically only about a week they have given, and then throw in memorial day weekend which I am sure less people might have been applying for jobs over the weekend, esp. if they went out of town.

2) Furthermore, they require a recommendation along with the cover letter and resume. I know sometimes it can be hard to get a recommendation in time, especially if you found this job posted either yesterday, today or on the weekend, getting that recommendation on time might be harder to get. I mean I emailed 5 people for recommendations on Friday. Heard back from one person on Friday who sent a recommendation, and two just got back to me today. Haven't heard from the other 2 yet.

So basically I meet all their needs/qualifications except for education, I am just wondering how much of a negative effect this might have. Did I waste my time applying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 12:09 PM

My bad, please move this to Work and Employment.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:48 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,239 times
I think the only way you might be negatively affected is if another candidate had all the requirements met PLUS the educational requirements. It depends on the person reviewing the resumes also. Everyone has a different view on requirements and how candidates should match up. Some managers will hold out for the perfect candidate, while others might take candidates who match up with at least 75% of the requirements.

In sum, it depends on the pool of candidates they have to choose from. If you're one of the only candidates to match up with the majority of the requirements, you should have a pretty good chance of getting an interview. It also depends on how anal the manager is who is selecting candidates to interview. Sometimes they will want the perfect match, and sometimes they're willing to choose a less than perfect match. My view is this: unless it's a highly technical job or one that requires a lot of experience you don't have, always give it a shot. What do you have to lose besides 15-25 minutes?

Old 05-31-2011, 02:28 PM

Yeah that's what I figured. It's probably going to depend on who is reviewing it.

Hopefully the pool of candidates will be poor or small. I think the simple fact that they are only giving a week to send applications, that it was memorial day weekend within that week and that you need a recommendation, that it really might help the pool be much smaller. We will have to see what happens.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
In normal times this would not be an issue, however these days, even on short publicity, they are likely to get many applicants meeting and exceeding the requirements. Hopefully luck will be with you and prove me wrong!

Old 05-31-2011, 03:51 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
I don't know that recruiters really hold to deadlines they impose on applicants. But if your work experience is a good match and you have a degree, I think your resume will be in the first possible pile.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I don't know that recruiters really hold to deadlines they impose on applicants. But if your work experience is a good match and you have a degree, I think your resume will be in the first possible pile.
Well I think they will follow through with the deadline. Interviews will be next week with the chosen one starting to work on the third or fourth week of June. So I am assuming they will follow their June 1 deadline and I am sure I will probably hear back by Friday if I get the interview.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:55 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post

2) Furthermore, they require a recommendation along with the cover letter and resume. I know sometimes it can be hard to get a recommendation in time, especially if you found this job posted either yesterday, today or on the weekend, getting that recommendation on time might be harder to get. I mean I emailed 5 people for recommendations on Friday. Heard back from one person on Friday who sent a recommendation, and two just got back to me today. Haven't heard from the other 2 yet.
I provide recommendations for a flat $69 fee.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:18 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I provide recommendations for a flat $69 fee.
Funny, I do the same for $67.50.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:32 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Funny, I do the same for $67.50.

Sixty nine is my favorite

number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment