Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:56 PM

433 posts, read 1,370,125 times

Advertisements

As some of you may know, I'm unemployed right now and my dad will be giving me help finding a job this week. He gave me a list of a few companies he was in touch with when he was working at the company that shut down. He was a shipper for a printing company.

Would it be better for me to call them and let them know I'm "my dad's name"'s son, to show them I'm taking responsibility? Or would it be better for my dad to call them first, so they can get him in their mind easier, and let them know that I'm looking for work and if they would have something available? Does speaking to a job-seeker who's related to someone you used to work with really help get you a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 08:15 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Mentioning a parent when calling about a job is NOT the way to demonstrate responsibility.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:45 PM

145 posts, read 420,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
As some of you may know, I'm unemployed right now and my dad will be giving me help finding a job this week. He gave me a list of a few companies he was in touch with when he was working at the company that shut down. He was a shipper for a printing company.

Would it be better for me to call them and let them know I'm "my dad's name"'s son, to show them I'm taking responsibility? Or would it be better for my dad to call them first, so they can get him in their mind easier, and let them know that I'm looking for work and if they would have something available? Does speaking to a job-seeker who's related to someone you used to work with really help get you a job?
Really??

Old 05-31-2011, 08:56 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Your dad should call first, IMO.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:07 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Just say that you heard about them through your dad. If he has a specific contact there that he's in touch with, he can get you the person's phone number or email. Either way, contact them yourself. Having your dad contact them is kind of like having your buddy ask a girl out for you—kind of lame.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:09 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,912 times
Be...your...own...man..

Old 05-31-2011, 10:00 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,394 times
How old are you? I wouldn't even recommend having a parent call for their child even if the child was 16. That seems ridiculous to me. Yes, you're applying for this job because of your dad's connections, but under no circumstances should your dad call the company for you.

This is a job that you are applying to and you would be working. Your dad shouldn't have any part in it. When you call, I guess you could say something like "my dad, (first and last name) notified me of a possible opening in your company" but I believe that's as far as the family networking should go.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:55 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
If it's your dad's connection I'd say you should hand your resume to him and he should hand it to whoever he knows within the company and let it go from there.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:43 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post

If I knew your dad personally, I might grant you an interview, but you'd have to ace that interview.

I've done this for friends before and had to let them know little Johnny won't be working for me because he showed up in jeans and sneakers, played with a water bottle all thru the interview and was more concerned about being able to choose is own hours ( no weekend, no nights, etc) than he was about impressing the interviewer.

How old are you and why is 'daddy' calling on your behalf?

Old 06-01-2011, 06:37 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
You do not call a company and say "Hi, this is so-and-so's son...." If your father is helping you, he can speak to his connections and if they are interested, they will call you or schedule a time for you to call them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment