Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 04:06 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,462,189 times

Advertisements

I typically work 30 hours a week (around 5 hours a day, Sunday thru Friday with Saturdays off). My job is based on productivity and there is hardly ever any downtime, so I'm pretty much working the entire time for those 30 hours. The only way I can check my phone messages is if I go to the bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 12:59 PM

377 posts, read 670,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
I'm going to sound like the guy from the movie Office Space...but I get to work between....7-9, depending on the day, if I wanna come in early or late. I get to work, turn on my computer and pull my personal email and then my work email. Then I sit around and organize my day for about an hour. Then I remember where I work....and that it doesn't matter what I do, when I do, and that nobody really cares, and I'm only here for a twisted death watch and someone to blame if one of our residents really kills themself...so all in all, I do about 10 hours of work a week. SOMETIMES I do very close to 40. But most of the time, I am walking around our campus, looking for kids I need to counsel with, wasting an hour, finding them, chatting for about 10 minutes, and then I have to go walk all the way back and write a note about it. My job really is...just a waste of time. (I work at a state run correctional facility).
LOL I think I work in Office Space too.

I get to work whenever I want as long as it's before 9AM. I take a good hour to open both work and personal email, see what's in my in-box from the afternoon before, chat with my employees as they come in etc. Now it's time for 10AM break where I take a 15 minute walk.

Then I do all the work that is on my desk, box, or voice mails which brings me up to noon where I take another walk this time for 30 minutes. Then I come back and eat lunch in my office and browse the internet or whatever.

If someone needs me or I need to collect TPS reports or something lol I am always available but otherwise I am just sitting in my office reading the news, forums or doing school work or something.

Now it's 3PM break which I usually skip because I will be going home shortly anyway. 3:30-4:00PM rolls around and I am out the door, see ya tomorrow.

I probably average 12 hours of real work per week, sometimes more, sometimes less... God it gets boring though...

But no really I am also a nurse and when I go work at the hospital (I'm per diem there too) I am there busting my butt the whole time, no breaks, no lunch so I think it all evens out in the end...

Old 09-20-2016, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 403 times
Of my last 3 jobs, 2 of them have been project oriented and the most recent one has been maintenance oriented. One of the project jobs I was working at least 40 hours a week. This wasn't just being at work, this was actually working. The company expected you to work a minimum of 40, but "anything less than 45 and you're essentially stealing from the company." (Management's words during a company meeting) The next job was also project based, working 40 hours a week. Just like the previous job, I was actually spending 40 hours a week on work. No goofing off. However, this company respected your work life and didn't expect you to work more than 40. If someone did work more than 40 it showed they really cared about their project. In my current job where I'm doing more "maintenance," I'm at work for no more than 40 hours (sometimes less), and I am actually working anywhere between 1-8 hours a day. So 5-40 hours a week. During the summer work really slows down, this is usually when I work 1 hour/day. When the weather cools down, maintenance picks up. Only rarely is there enough maintenance work in one week that would require 40 hours of actual work. During the slow months we usually try to come up with some projects to work on so that we don't feel like we're wasting time, but there's only so much that can be done.

I really miss the second job I mentioned. Project oriented, but not working more than 40 hours. The days went by super quick, and I really liked the work I was doing. The first job was okay, but the atmosphere was horrible. Now, even though the work is fun, the days go by so slow. I don't get the satisfaction I used to get when I was seeing progress on a project and when I completed a project.

However, if I had the choice I wouldn't want to work at all. Who in their right mind would want to be away from their friends and family for at least 8 hours out of the day? I leave for work between 5-5:30 AM and get home around 2:30-3, and my wife gets home from work between 4:30-5. We get in bed at 9 PM, so that only leaves 4-4.5 hours of spending time together. We don't even have kids yet. For me, that's not enough. I forgot to mention me and my wife used to work together at the first job I mentioned. My goal in life is to start a small business where me and my wife can work together, and hopefully it will become somewhat self-sufficient such that we wouldn't have to come to work everyday. I personally know a few people that have done this, so I know it can be accomplished.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:25 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,405 times
40 hours a week
NO MORE NO LESS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment