U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:49 PM

18 posts, read 107,675 times

Advertisements

Found a new job thats scheduled to start in two weeks. However a vacation was planned already for 3 days out of those two weeks. That would only give the current employer a week and two days (7 business days). Is short notice better than no notice or will an employer still feel slighted or cheated at not receiving the full two weeks? Want to give enough notice but don't want to have to deal with 7 days of attitudes and bitterness b/c a full two weeks wasn't given. So is short notice any better than no notice in the eyes of an employer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 10:02 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,686,468 times
Why can't you give written as well as verbal notice tomorrow and make it an official two weeks?

The fact that you have 3 days vacation shouldn't matter, as that was scheduled in advance.

I think you're employer would appreciate the heads up as opposed to you giving them a short notice.

Besides if you want a good reference down the road I wouldn't leave them hanging like that.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:14 AM

145 posts, read 379,784 times
What sucks is they can fire you anytime they want but expect a notice when leaving the job. Double standard to me .

Old 06-02-2011, 03:19 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,865,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChris View Post
What sucks is they can fire you anytime they want but expect a notice when leaving the job. Double standard to me .
You can quit anytime without notice if you want, what's the big deal?

Old 06-02-2011, 03:46 PM

79 posts, read 113,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
You can quit anytime without notice if you want, what's the big deal?
Yeah take it from me I've quit all of my jobs without calling and without showing up. Works just fine for me.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:48 PM

379 posts, read 1,235,500 times
Why bother with any notice at this point?

My personal philosophy is that if you're not planning on returning to a previous employer, don't bother giving them any notice. Just leave.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:51 PM

1,568 posts, read 2,794,599 times
Yes, it is better. Be honest and thank your ex-employer for the opportunity.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:36 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,201,013 times
Because most new applications require professional references and your throwing that away with no notice or just walking out.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:59 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,479,215 times
Just up and quitting can burn some bridges that may be useful in later years. Also, some companies have a policy by which you will may not be paid for unused vacation time or other benefits without providing a specified amount of notice. I have employees who have worked for me leave before - no biggie - it happens. I have even served as a reference for a few of these people later in life. But if one was to up and quit with no notice - that would leave me doing a lot more work without a transition period...and they can forget ever asking me for a reference down the line.

Not sure how the vacation plays into it, but if it does in regards to benefits - you have to think about what's best for you. I was at a company from 2005-2007 that was going down the tubes at the end (the closed their doors 3 months after I left). At that place, their policy was three weeks notice for people at my level. I gave notice but had a week-long vacation in the middle. They told me that I was no longer "allowed" to take that vacation under their policy as I had given notice. I thought about this for two seconds, realized that losing a week of unused vacation was worth a lot less than losing a job with a company not sinking like the titanic and told them I was taking my vacation and it was their choice to have me come back for a final week after vacation to tie up loose ends or I could terminate my employment on the spot (they kept me around, and gave me my unused vacation to boot).

Old 06-02-2011, 08:01 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,686,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
Why bother with any notice at this point?

My personal philosophy is that if you're not planning on returning to a previous employer, don't bother giving them any notice. Just leave.
And whom do you use as references? Because doing that is going to get the "not eligible for rehire" reply when the possible new employer calls for a reference from your old job.

Which means no new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment