U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 01:07 AM

4,138 posts, read 1,975,030 times
Why doesnt he fire the people starting fights, I dont understand why the boss would tolerate a hostile work enviornment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 02:12 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,067,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I have been working in a horrible work environment for some time now.

Aside from the work itself being stressful (which I can handle most of the time), the people I work with are just unbearable and make the 8 hours I spend in the office hard to take. There are constant fights, who is taking whose side, etc. There is no HR Department, this is a very small office. The bosses have gotten involved at this point, which has just made things a million times worse.

My boss is willing to let me quit and still collect unemployment. I explained to him that I did not feel that I can continue to work in this hostile work environment.

I know it is not the smart thing to do. But honestly this job is affecting my health in many ways, I already suffer from anxiety, and depression, and this place amplifies my issues 10x over. My doctor is preparing me a letter just to document this, and he feels it would be in my best interest to leave this office too. I have been sick (phyiscally) constantly in this office, and I honestly feel itís due to the stress. I never got sick like this in my life.

I have never quit a job without having another lined up. I have several prospects that might come through, but the thought of waiting it out in this hellhole is almost too much to bear.

Would anyone here quit a job if they felt it was affecting their health?
Yes, I would quit if my health was being affected. You can always get another job but once your health goes, it's hard to get it back to normal.

If your boss is willing to let you quit and collect unemployment, do it. Also go to the Work Force close to you and find out about training while you're unemployed.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:25 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,262,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Yes, I would quit if my health was being affected. You can always get another job but once your health goes, it's hard to get it back to normal.

If your boss is willing to let you quit and collect unemployment, do it. Also go to the Work Force close to you and find out about training while you're unemployed.
Great advice...I was thinking yesterday I should really go back to school to get my certification for pharmacy technician (which I have been dying to do for quite some time) but have put off. Maybe this is my opportunity to do that.

Still a tough decision, to quit a job in this economy and without having another one lined up, but it's so true, once your health is being affected by something, it's time to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment