Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 08:48 AM

3,073 posts, read 5,482,685 times

Advertisements

I have been working in a horrible work environment for some time now.

Aside from the work itself being stressful (which I can handle most of the time), the people I work with are just unbearable and make the 8 hours I spend in the office hard to take. There are constant fights, who is taking whose side, etc. There is no HR Department, this is a very small office. The bosses have gotten involved at this point, which has just made things a million times worse.

My boss is willing to let me quit and still collect unemployment. I explained to him that I did not feel that I can continue to work in this hostile work environment.

I know it is not the smart thing to do. But honestly this job is affecting my health in many ways, I already suffer from anxiety, and depression, and this place amplifies my issues 10x over. My doctor is preparing me a letter just to document this, and he feels it would be in my best interest to leave this office too. I have been sick (phyiscally) constantly in this office, and I honestly feel it’s due to the stress. I never got sick like this in my life.

I have never quit a job without having another lined up. I have several prospects that might come through, but the thought of waiting it out in this hellhole is almost too much to bear.

Would anyone here quit a job if they felt it was affecting their health?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 10:04 AM

57 posts, read 135,257 times
I feel for you.

I just posted a thread on this subject this morning.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:05 AM

57 posts, read 135,257 times
Oh and my answer is yes, but you're lucky they will let you collect unemployment. I don't have that option.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydall View Post
Oh and my answer is yes, but you're lucky they will let you collect unemployment. I don't have that option.
Yes, I know....I hope he will stand by his word and do just that.

My only fear is that I will be unable to find a job. I have been VERY actively looking. I just haven't had any luck.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:19 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,041,487 times
If you can pay your bills on UI then quit. If not it would only increase your anxiety in the long term IMO and yes people quit for health reasons all the time, and it works out....but it is a tough call....good luck.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
If you can pay your bills on UI then quit. If not it would only increase your anxiety in the long term IMO and yes people quit for health reasons all the time, and it works out....but it is a tough call....good luck.
yes, very fortunately, I don't have a lot of debt, and my rent is split with my boyfriend. My utilities are pretty low, and we don't own a car, so I think I will have no problem making ends meet on UI.

I mean, I won't be living a life of luxury, and I won't be shopping the way I do now, but I could survive.

I am trying to figure out how long UI benefits can last in NY. I know they have extensions, but I don't know if that is still in effect....

Old 06-03-2011, 10:56 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,358,294 times
I'd be very cautious about quitting based on your employer's promise to let you collect unemployment. Why would he do that? It's in his best financial interest for you NOT to collect unemployment. If you think you're stressed now, consider how you'll feel if you're unemployed and unable to collect unemployment benefits.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:07 AM

I'm basically just going by his past actions...he had a secretary walk out and never return. She basically quit without notice leaving him totally screwed. She applied for UI and he didn't fight it, and she collected for well over a year.

We have a good relationship and he has said on more than one occasion that he liked me very much. I don't see why (especially if I have a letter from doctor stating that this environment is not good for me) he would decide to be a jerk and not let me collect.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:04 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,574,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I'm basically just going by his past actions...he had a secretary walk out and never return. She basically quit without notice leaving him totally screwed. She applied for UI and he didn't fight it, and she collected for well over a year.

We have a good relationship and he has said on more than one occasion that he liked me very much. I don't see why (especially if I have a letter from doctor stating that this environment is not good for me) he would decide to be a jerk and not let me collect.
A doctor's note will get you short term disability not unemployment benefits.

I also wouldn't take anyone at their word that if you quit they won't fight unemployment. He could change his mind or someone else might tell him that is crazy and you find out the hard way you're not getting UE benefits.

Can you wear headphones at work? To help drown out the fighting?

Old 06-03-2011, 11:44 PM

38,750 posts, read 22,735,715 times
I feel your pain. I couldn't stand my last job either, mainly because of the micro-managing going on in the department where I worked. For well over a year, I was job hunting, looking for a way to escape. There were days when I just felt like getting up and walking out.

Then last October, all of us in the department (8 of us) were notified that our jobs were being transferred to an office in another state. Inwardly, I rejoiced, because that meant I would be eligible to collect unemployment benefits.

That happened for me and 2 other people. Everyone else was able to get hired in other departments (I applied for an internal position also but never even got interviewed). The last day for me was sometime in mid-December last year. So here I am, 6 months later, trying to find work in a state with the second-highest unemployment in the country.

I wish you all the best. Hang in there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment