U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-05-2011, 05:13 PM

3 posts, read 24,894 times
Default Do I have the right to review my HR file?

I am wondering if I have the right to review my HR file. I work for General Electric. If I ask my manager or HR manager about this it might be a sticky situation so does anyone know in general what the big corporations' policies are on this? I know that there are rights given by some states that allow employees to ask for this, but in my state there is no right given....
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 05:30 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,516,986 times
Yes, just ask to see your file - not why. Just ask to look at it. You cannot make copies, etc. and if you are involved in any litigation with the company they can and will refuse your request. All items in your file must be your knowledge - meaning that you must have signed off on it in some way. There is not one state that I know of that does not allow for you to review your file. Every employee should review it from time to time, especially if you are considering applying internally for another job.

If anyone asks you specifics, just state that you had read that it was good to review your file regularly and you are taking advantage of that. Good Luck!

Old 06-05-2011, 06:43 PM

4,806 posts, read 11,606,986 times
Quote:
does anyone know in general what the big corporations' policies are on this?
There is no singular policy that all big corporations hold on this subject.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:49 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,982,843 times
Default Actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Yes, just ask to see your file - not why. Just ask to look at it. You cannot make copies, etc. and if you are involved in any litigation with the company they can and will refuse your request. All items in your file must be your knowledge - meaning that you must have signed off on it in some way. There is not one state that I know of that does not allow for you to review your file. Every employee should review it from time to time, especially if you are considering applying internally for another job.

If anyone asks you specifics, just state that you had read that it was good to review your file regularly and you are taking advantage of that. Good Luck!
Everyone has a right to copies of everthing in their personnel file. True, you may not be allowed to personally make the copies but you may request copies. There should be no reason for HR to have any problem with you viewing your file. If you have a dept Supv, they probably keep a file on you as well which you are entitled to see and have copies of all documents.
Koale

Old 06-06-2011, 01:17 PM

37,710 posts, read 11,673,146 times
It's never a good idea to list your employer's name on an online forum ... You may think you are anonymous but posts can be traced back to the user. Tread carefully...

Old 06-06-2011, 01:26 PM

21,635 posts, read 25,212,126 times
There are numerous sites dedicated to exactly this question but this gives an overview which may be of help to you:

Do Employees Have the Right to Access Their Employee Files? | Labor & Employment > Human Resources & Personnel Management from AllBusiness.com

Old 06-06-2011, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 24,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
It's never a good idea to list your employer's name on an online forum ... You may think you are anonymous but posts can be traced back to the user. Tread carefully...
Oh. Thankx. I am not go great with computers but will follow your advise.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:05 AM

10,046 posts, read 13,819,366 times
In Massachusetts, there's a statute that states you can demand to see your file (demand in writing according to the statute) and they must provide it to you within five business days. Also, referring to the statute by name and number shows that you have legal advice. A friend of mine recently did this when defending herself against an absolutely insance allegation by an underling who was mad because she refused to sleep with him. Her file showed nothing about the allegation (including the supposed written report of the allegation).
Yes, I work in a dysfunctional instituation.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:02 AM

10,426 posts, read 8,444,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
All items in your file must be your knowledge - meaning that you must have signed off on it in some way.
This is not the case in all situations. Comments can be placed in an employee's file without that employee's being aware of what was noted. And, while an employee may have the right to see his/her file, some HR departments look adversely upon such a request. Personally, I'd have to have a pretty good reason to make such a request of my HR dept.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:19 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,982,843 times
Exclamation Welll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
This is not the case in all situations. Comments can be placed in an employee's file without that employee's being aware of what was noted. And, while an employee may have the right to see his/her file, some HR departments look adversely upon such a request. Personally, I'd have to have a pretty good reason to make such a request of my HR dept.
I request a review of my HR and Supv file yearly, usually around my hire date. Only because I discovered my Dept Supv kept a separate and somewhat secret file from HR which held documents and notes that HR did not have. Seemed under-handed since I was not even aware of most of the 'anonymous' documentations in supvs file. Had not been made aware of them or had them discussed w/me. It's my right to review my files...if HR/Supv has a problem w/it they can take it up w/my Union. I've dealt w/to many idiotic and incompetent HR depts and Supv's to let this slide. I've found some pretty odd things in my file. They were questioned and subsequently removed. Especially in todays work environment it would be silly not to take care of such an important aspect of your life such as your employment files. So...the only good reason to request a review of your files is that you wish to review your files, you do not need any reason other than
that.
Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment