Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 10:42 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times

Advertisements

I have this supervisor who makes a huge deal about me seeing his computer when I come into his office to ask him questions or discuss a job I'm working with him on. He says I need to ask permission before I can view his screen.

Haha, like he has to ask permission before he sees what I'm working on. I've been nothing but kind and polite to this guy, but he finds little things like that to pick at me over. He also goes ballistic if I get to work a couple of minutes late due to traffic or whatever, even though half of the time we have hardly anything to do and he takes two hour lunches all the time.

Anyone else have the misfortune of working for a micromanaging a-hole??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 10:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
He does seem to be a prick based on the traffic and lunch things... but in all honesty, you should never go behind someone's desk unless you are requested to or that's the natural flow of the office, room, cube. It's just respectful.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:01 PM

531 posts, read 1,177,428 times
Hmmm, he is your boss so I don't blame your manager to get angry when you walk behind his desk and look at his screen. I mean, what is he is writing review about you or your coworker?

As for getting late for a few minutes, I think he shouuld be more flexible if you are only work @ the back office.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:56 AM

516 posts, read 1,350,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I have this supervisor who makes a huge deal about me seeing his computer when I come into his office to ask him questions or discuss a job I'm working with him on. He says I need to ask permission before I can view his screen.

Haha, like he has to ask permission before he sees what I'm working on. I've been nothing but kind and polite to this guy, but he finds little things like that to pick at me over. He also goes ballistic if I get to work a couple of minutes late due to traffic or whatever, even though half of the time we have hardly anything to do and he takes two hour lunches all the time.

Yes, been there!!! The place that I just got laid off from on Friday (long story) was exactly what you just said. Picking at any little thing just to take his/her anger out on and micromanaging OMG!!!!! I think the proper term for that is PARANOIA!!!!

Good luck to you.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:10 AM

505 posts, read 1,664,582 times
I think it is not right to walk behind anyone while they're working on something, it's just a matter of etiquette and you probably should have knocked or announced yourself. He is also your superior - not the other way around.

The thing is, most of us never think about these things until you are in the exact same scenario. If your position is switched someday and you are in a position of power as he was, you would most likely do the exact same thing.

How would you feel if you were writing a corporate memo that has privileged information that can get you fired when your own staff walks behind you and leaks that information later? How do you feel if your supervisor starts to dock your pay or gives you a poor review because you cannot control your staff who continually comes in late and tells you it's because of "traffic."

I used to think the same way too until I had my own staff to oversee and manage. It's not bright and sunny all the time and the ones that play the nice guy usually is in no form to lead or have people follow. It's just the way things are unfortunately and we will all do the exact same thing when in that same position.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:34 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times
Thumbs down Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

sorry to bust your bubble my friend, but he is the Supervisor...you are not.
If I had to tell you more than once not to walk behind my desk and view my computer screen I'd fire you. If you've been asked once you shouldn't have to be told a second time. I'm surprised you haven't been written up.
You should know better than to walk behind anyones desk and look at the information they may have up on their screen. This is not 'micro-managing' this is professional courtesy. Seems like you have alot to learn about the working dynamics of an office.... and you're late to work on top of it? You sound like a real piece of work. Hope you're resume' is current I have a feeling you're going to be needing it several times over.
Koale

Old 06-06-2011, 07:19 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
I take it his "office" is really a cube? Otherwise, he should be able to swing his computer around so when you enter he see his face and not the screen.

It really sounds like the guy is doing non-work related things on his computer.

What I do with coworkers (not just managers) is I come to their office and knock on their "cube" while making it out as if I'm not really looking at them. However, I'm standing in the doorway this whole time. I may look at the opposite corner of their cube/office. Usually, by the time you hear "click" and they say "Hey there Bob" that's enough time for them to have clicked off their fantasy baseball and put back up some pointless spreadsheet.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:26 AM

35 posts, read 65,810 times
People have pet peeves, being late is a common one. And personally, I can't stand it either when someone stands behind me while I am at the computer. Unfortunately, he is the boss you have to work with his personality. Believe me, if that is all he is a pain about, you got a good deal!

Old 06-06-2011, 07:32 AM

70 posts, read 299,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
sorry to bust your bubble my friend, but he is the Supervisor...you are not.
If I had to tell you more than once not to walk behind my desk and view my computer screen I'd fire you. If you've been asked once you shouldn't have to be told a second time. I'm surprised you haven't been written up.
You should know better than to walk behind anyones desk and look at the information they may have up on their screen. This is not 'micro-managing' this is professional courtesy. Seems like you have alot to learn about the working dynamics of an office.... and you're late to work on top of it? You sound like a real piece of work. Hope you're resume' is current I have a feeling you're going to be needing it several times over.
Koale
I am not sure "Hope you're resume' is current I have a feeling you're going to be needing it several times over." was on op's list of potentially helpful insight....

Everyone make note - this human being - koale- is whats wrong in the world. We all know this person....Its the colleague who sucks up to the boss, its the neighbor who calls the town bc of some minor issue on your property, the kid who tattled on a cheater.....the worst of the worst..

Old 06-06-2011, 07:34 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times
I remember when I'd walk into my past supervisor's office (not cube) and sometimes up to the side of his desk to ask him something.......he would "minimize" his screen down quickly so I'd wouldn't see what he was looking at which was generally a ESPN Sports website or something he was ordering on the Internet for himself or his wife. Didn't bother me at all that he done this since I would also do things on the Internet during work hours as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment