Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 10:59 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,430 times

Advertisements

Just a quick question: How does UI work as far as the employer goes? Is there a weekly (or monthly) form that they have to fill out by the employer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 11:13 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Just a quick question: How does UI work as far as the employer goes? Is there a weekly (or monthly) form that they have to fill out by the employer?
A report is submitted to the state quarterly. The insurance premiums are paid 100% by the employer as a percentage of payroll. The rate is determined by the past number of their former employees that collected benefits. That is why most employers fight having to pay and would rather you quit or be fired for cause.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
A report is submitted to the state quarterly. The insurance premiums are paid 100% by the employer as a percentage of payroll. The rate is determined by the past number of their former employees that collected benefits. That is why most employers fight having to pay and would rather you quit or be fired for cause.

I see. So basically, my boss would get a report four times a year to fill out to verify my unemployment?

I only ask because my boss tends to be a bit disorganized and once I leave, I don't want any kind of paperwork to get lost that would cause a problem for my unemployment.

That's why I wasn't sure if there was some kind of weekly or monthly form.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:56 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Most payroll systems have reports in them that automtically generatethe required detail , and are in the format each state requires. They must be filed with quarterly employer unemployment insurance forms and payments, Generally due the 15th of each month following a quarter-end. Next due date would be 7/15, for gross payroll by employee from 4/1 to 6/30.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I see. So basically, my boss would get a report four times a year to fill out to verify my unemployment?

I only ask because my boss tends to be a bit disorganized and once I leave, I don't want any kind of paperwork to get lost that would cause a problem for my unemployment.

That's why I wasn't sure if there was some kind of weekly or monthly form.
This is the same boss who is telling you to go ahead and quit and he won't fight the unemployment?

You're taking some chance, all he has to say is you quit and you won't be getting UE benefits.

You won't have a leg to stand on.

Sorry, from your other post he wants you out of there because you don't like the stress in the office.

I wouldn't trust anyone saying "go ahead and quit and you can go file for UE".

Old 06-06-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
This is the same boss who is telling you to go ahead and quit and he won't fight the unemployment?

You're taking some chance, all he has to say is you quit and you won't be getting UE benefits.

You won't have a leg to stand on.

Sorry, from your other post he wants you out of there because you don't like the stress in the office.

I wouldn't trust anyone saying "go ahead and quit and you can go file for UE".
No, he doesn't want me to leave at all, it was my suggestion that I leave because all the stress and tension is starting to affect my health.

He def doesn't want me out of here, as a matter of fact, he is willing to work with me to stay, but I don't think there is any fixing this situation.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:31 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Well I would try and work on the situation. Because I wouldn't take his word that he wouldn't fight you filing for unemployment if you quit.

In fact there isn't even a fight, all he has to do is tell them you quit and you're denied benefits.

You would lose if you asked for an appeal.

It is also going to be easier for you to find a new job while you're still employed.

But I would never quit a job and take someone at their word that if you try and file for UE benefits that they will go along with that(especially when they're paying for it).

Ask for that in writing and see what happens.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well I would try and work on the situation. Because I wouldn't take his word that he wouldn't fight you filing for unemployment if you quit.

In fact there isn't even a fight, all he has to do is tell them you quit and you're denied benefits.

You would lose if you asked for an appeal.

It is also going to be easier for you to find a new job while you're still employed.

But I would never quit a job and take someone at their word that if you try and file for UE benefits that they will go along with that(especially when they're paying for it).

Ask for that in writing and see what happens.
Yea, I hear you. I tend to be not trusting in these kind of situations. I only go by his past actions (he is a nice guy, in general) and he had a secretary quit once, she walked out and never came back, she subsequently filed for UI and he didn't fight it and she collected for well over a year.

I have been searching hard for a new job. No luck yet, but hopefully, soon.

I will absolutely try to get that in writing, I really don't think he will have a problem with it, but then again, stranger things have happened.

It's just honestly a difficult situation all around. I have been working straight since 1995 in various offices, and have never, EVER experienced such a negative, terrible office like this one. I have always remained friends with people in all my old offices and still keep in touch with most of them until this day. The people that work here are truly vile, horrible people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment