Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:54 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Um, no I don't curse at people just because I don't like them

And comparing this situation to a communist dictatorship isn't really a good example of why anyone would stay at a job where they feel miserable all day....
I think you need to reread. First your own OP, where you swore several times.

And then when I DIDN'T compare your work situation to a dictatorship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 07:55 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Quote:
If they are slandering; than that is illegal.
Slander is saying something that you know to be factually untrue. As an opinion is not a fact, then stating one's opinion is not slander.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:24 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
I wrote before about how I am pretty close to quitting my current job due to the hostility and toxic work environment.

There is no HR here, and all the bosses have gotten involved which has only made the situation worse (which I warned my boss would happen).

The sh*t hit the fan last week and basically now, no one speaks. Me and my co-worker (who still get along) are basically the "enemies" of the other two girls in the office, who are stupid, young and immature.

I thought maybe by this week, things would have cooled down a bit. But no, now I can hear them LOUDLY speaking about the two of us. Today I heard one of them call us a curse word in Spanish (I don't know how to spell it, but I can sound it out Bendeho??).

I mean, is this even legal? I understand if you don't want to speak or be friendly to me, but do you have to gossip and say nasty things about us OUT LOUD so we can hear???

I would suggest you and your friend talk to the boss one last time about the situation so he understands clearly what he will be left with and that having bad mouth bullies run the office is not in his best interest. If that what he likes, it is then his problem and it will happen again until he acts like a man. Best wishes to you and your friend. You could also request that people speak English at work to promote cooperation and misunderstanding.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:19 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
I guess I just don't get it.

I could care less if certain people at work didn't like me. If they want to curse out loud-- knock yourself out.

Besides-- do you speak Spanish? I am going to assume no, since you did not know how to spell ******* p-e-n-d-e-j-o --heck even City Data knows the real spelling (which seriously is not the worst thing in the world to be called). So going back to my original question-- how exactly do you know if they are speaking Spanish that they are talking about you specifically?

They could be-- but they also could not be too.

I just remember when I was living abroad-- if I was with another english speaker sometimes people around us would assume we were talking about them (I could hear them talking about us because I spoke their language fluently)-- it used to make me giggle considering most of the time we were talking about pretty mundane things like a bad date, needing to go grocery shopping, plans for the holiday, etc.

I work with many multi-nationals when I am in the office-- and people tend to speak in their native tongue-- if I were offended every time I heard a curse word in another language or if I automatically assumed that every curse word said loudly was because of me-- I would be a little nuts.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:58 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Slander is saying something that you know to be factually untrue. As an opinion is not a fact, then stating one's opinion is not slander.
Actually she stated they were gossiping; meaning they could be slandering her reputation by spreading lies. That's what I was getting out, but the OP seems to be just looking for support and excuses to quit. I'm still trying to understand how are these women stopping her from getting work done. This is not high school.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:07 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Actually she stated they were gossiping; meaning they could be slandering her reputation by spreading lies. That's what I was getting out, but the OP seems to be just looking for support and excuses to quit. I'm still trying to understand how are these women stopping her from getting work done. This is not high school.
And I go back to if they are speaking another language-- that she does not know how to spell one of the more basic curse words-- how exactly does she know if they are gossiping about her?

Personally-- it sounds all juvenile.

I could understand if there had been threats made against her or if something was said to her directly or if they were physically doing something to her or her belongings...

but because they are speaking out loud or cursing in spanish and that this could be affecting her work?? Seriously?

Old 06-09-2011, 05:21 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I think you need to reread. First your own OP, where you swore several times.

And then when I DIDN'T compare your work situation to a dictatorship.

Can you point out where I swore????

Old 06-09-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
And I go back to if they are speaking another language-- that she does not know how to spell one of the more basic curse words-- how exactly does she know if they are gossiping about her?

Personally-- it sounds all juvenile.

I could understand if there had been threats made against her or if something was said to her directly or if they were physically doing something to her or her belongings...

but because they are speaking out loud or cursing in spanish and that this could be affecting her work?? Seriously?
I might not know how to spell the word they used, but I have heard it before and I do know what it means. Of course it was directed towards me, she said oh here are the __________ and waved in our direction. How much more clear can you get? And they don't only speak in Spanish, English too.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:27 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,260 times
Quote:
Can you point out where I swore????

I think because you said "s*** hit the fan"

Old 06-09-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I think because you said "s*** hit the fan"
LOL, oh is that it??

That doesn't mean I am cursing AT someone though

Last edited by jen5276; 06-09-2011 at 08:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment