Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:56 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,056 times

Advertisements

I have to say that linkedin is not all that, I have got like 3 job offers in the last 6 months and none have been from linkedin. There are too many barriers to communication in linkedin. If they made a linkedin that had a facebook format it would likely take off like wild fire, of course it could be very dangerous as well because some companies use social networking sites with nafarious motives to try to dig up "dirt".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 11:02 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
I'd also point out that it's not Linkedin's fault that the OP is unable to properly control his / her computer inputs.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:20 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Why did you give them access to your gmail addressbook? I refuse to give any social site access to my email accounts (even though they keep asking).

I use linked in for networking and find it to be a very valuable tool.
Exactly ... My Facebook page continues to send me solicitations to search for friends using my email contacts, which I refuse to do. NEVER give any website your email password as that is just a recipe for getting your email account highjacked by scammers. My email address is used on my resume and other important things so I cannot afford to be highjacked. Just because a site CLAIMS that it does not store your password does not mean that it truly doesn't.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:05 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I'm a sr. financial analyst working in the high tech sector in the Bay area, and I find it incredibly useful. It's the first piece of social networking technology that really does something for me. In addition to keeping tabs on former co-workers and bosses who may be of use to me down the road, I've been getting about 2-4 messages from recruiters a month for about half a year now...even went through two rounds of interviews and got a job offer from a startup all thanks to connections I made through Linkedin. Ended up deciding to stay where I am. And I'm using the free version, by the way.
This. I've received multiple job offers through networking via linkedin, including one I accepted where I work now. I'm certainly not a mid-level or senior executive. If your LinkedIn profile reads like your facebook "about me" section, I know why it's not working for you.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:31 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
If your LinkedIn profile reads like your facebook "about me" section, I know why it's not working for you.
This is a good point. My Linkedin profile is essentially my e-resume - I put everything relevant to my career experience out there. I see many people whose entire profile either consists of "analyst at ABC corp" or else has a lot of unprofessional content. This doesn't give headhunters much to go on.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
Quote:
I'm a sr. financial analyst working in the high tech sector in the Bay area, and I find it incredibly useful. It's the first piece of social networking technology that really does something for me. In addition to keeping tabs on former co-workers and bosses who may be of use to me down the road, I've been getting about 2-4 messages from recruiters a month for about half a year now...even went through two rounds of interviews and got a job offer from a startup all thanks to connections I made through Linkedin. Ended up deciding to stay where I am. And I'm using the free version, by the way.
Right. I'm guessing since you're senior level, you probably have a lot more work experience than me. That follows my point that LinkedIn is probably more useful for those at the mid to senior levels in their career. I have never been contacted on LinkedIn other than someone wanting to be "connected" to me.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:24 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Right. I'm guessing since you're senior level, you probably have a lot more work experience than me. That follows my point that LinkedIn is probably more useful for those at the mid to senior levels in their career. I have never been contacted on LinkedIn other than someone wanting to be "connected" to me.
A senior financial analyst is probably not yet at the mid level of their career. At least not in the places where I have worked. That would only be one spot up from the bottom.

But maybe it is different for other places.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:14 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes, I am saying your posts are invalid. Yes I know what that word means. It's fine to not understand how things work. But to push false information doesn't help anyone.

Let's stay on topic though. LinkedIn sent invitations to the OPs addressbook because the OP wasn't paying attention.
BS. whether i gave LinkedIn access to my contacts or not, i certainly never gave them permission to send out dozens of invites in my name.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
I'd also point out that it's not Linkedin's fault that the OP is unable to properly control his / her computer inputs.
did you even read the OP?

i selected ONE contact to add, yet it sent out 86 invites.

please explain to me how i should have controlled this.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:24 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
did you even read the OP?

i selected ONE contact to add, yet it sent out 86 invites.

please explain to me how i should have controlled this.
Where exactly did it find 86 addresses to email from?

Does 86 happen to match up with the number of contacts in whatever program you use to do email?

Odds are, it does. Else why 86, why didn't it send out 150 or 500? What the poster said about controlling inputs to their computer remains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment