Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 02:15 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times

Advertisements

I had a job offer retracted once and it was kind of funny. I wanted to get a part-time job at Target just while things were a bit tough when I was living in California. They (the Manhattan Beach Target) thought I was "great" because I was "smart" and wanted to put me in the electronics department. The catch was that they wanted me to get a drug test the same day I had the interview, but they wanted me to go to a place that was somewhat far away from where the store was, and because of my other job, I couldn't make it to the facility that day.

Anyway, after NOT being flexible about this and basically treating me like I was trying to hide something (I honestly have not used drugs, EVER), I decided to just not show up at the drug testing place. Target sent me a letter within a few days and rescinded the offer. Anyway, $7/hour part time wasn't worth it to me to bend over backwards to make sure I could rearrange my schedule just to make it to that drug testing facility, so in the end, it didn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 02:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
My daughter's first job offer after college was withdrawn before she started. She got the first call on September 7th, 2001, and was to start on the 12th. Over the weekend we went out and bought a car to commute, but then the day after the tragic event of 9/11 they called and told her they had a retroactive hiring freeze.

Where I work we do the reference checks before making an offer, but people may still have to pass a company driving test and a background check that come after hiring and may take a few weeks. Failure would be grounds for dismissal. We'd also fire someone if we found out about a lie
in an interview or false information on an application or resume, even if the person had been there a year or more when it was discovered.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:33 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
My daughter's first job offer after college was withdrawn before she started. She got the first call on September 7th, 2001, and was to start on the 12th. Over the weekend we went out and bought a car to commute, but then the day after the tragic event of 9/11 they called and told her they had a retroactive hiring freeze.

Where I work we do the reference checks before making an offer, but people may still have to pass a company driving test and a background check that come after hiring and may take a few weeks. Failure would be grounds for dismissal. We'd also fire someone if we found out about a lie
in an interview or false information on an application or resume, even if the person had been there a year or more when it was discovered.

WHY would this be checked ON YEAR LATER? This is what is STUPID about employers. Everything I highlighted right there. I don't want to "hear" the spiel about the employee being inconsistent with their work and management digging up information. This country runs on at-will employment, so management needs no reason to fire. To find out one has fibbed on their resume or application a year later is pathetic, honestly.

So read this everyone. Make sure that you get in writing an offer AND a statement that confirms that your COMPLETE background check has been conducted AND passed. These idiot employers LULL around, you give your current boss your 2 weeks notice, and BAM "Oops, we don't feel like hiring you anymore. Your credit score isn't too grand. Offer rescinded." Wth is the purpose of a background check if these P.O.S. employers don't conduct them BEFOREHAND?

If I was an employer and going to take the time to complete a big ***** background check for some sh*t job, you'd better believe it would be done AFTER my offer was accepted and BEFORE that person actually stepped foot into the company, because --HELLO---don't you want to know who's working for you BEFORE they start working for you? That person could be a convicted rapist and you mean to tell me these idiots take weeks into employment to conduct a background check? This is not just personally to you, but to all employers and those defending them.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:06 PM

98 posts, read 239,244 times
No. But I have withdrawn a job acceptance 1 business day before I was scheduled to start.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muochoir View Post
No. But I have withdrawn a job acceptance 1 business day before I was scheduled to start.
Isn't it great to see SO many employers doing this? There should seriously be a law about this. So many employers pull this crap and the person has already given notice to their other job--so they're basically screwed!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:13 AM

98 posts, read 239,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
Isn't it great to see SO many employers doing this? There should seriously be a law about this. So many employers pull this crap and the person has already given notice to their other job--so they're basically screwed!
Doing what? I think you misunderstood my post. I accepted a job offer then told them I was no longer interested with the job on the last minute.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:16 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Yes. Many times when the employer saw my blind cane, they retracted the job offer. I know, illegal, but since they didn't actually say that was the reason, I had no legal basis to argue with them on. Plus I didn't want to work for someone who was going to constantly question how well I could do every little thing.

Another time I had a job offer retracted because the employer realized I couldn't work the phones since I was deaf. He forgot to mention that in the job description and only realized that after I filled out all my paper work and showed up for the job on the first day.

I almost had other jobs retracted when they found out I was deaf-blind but I managed to convince them to let me do a trial period and after the trial period I kept the job because they realized I could do the same things, just differently.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:22 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
I agree that they shouldn't be allowed to just do that like that. I didn't have a job when I had my job offers retracted many a time, but it would have really been a pain in the neck if I had already given notice to my previous job and then had my job offer retracted.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muochoir View Post
Doing what? I think you misunderstood my post. I accepted a job offer then told them I was no longer interested with the job on the last minute.
Forgive me. The coffee hadn't hit me yet. However, in general, it seems employers offer and rescind pretty easily these days, so my comment still stands.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Yes. Many times when the employer saw my blind cane, they retracted the job offer. I know, illegal, but since they didn't actually say that was the reason, I had no legal basis to argue with them on. Plus I didn't want to work for someone who was going to constantly question how well I could do every little thing.

Another time I had a job offer retracted because the employer realized I couldn't work the phones since I was deaf. He forgot to mention that in the job description and only realized that after I filled out all my paper work and showed up for the job on the first day.

I almost had other jobs retracted when they found out I was deaf-blind but I managed to convince them to let me do a trial period and after the trial period I kept the job because they realized I could do the same things, just differently.
That's sad. However, if you're blind, how do you manage to type on here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search