Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:09 PM

670 posts, read 1,277,823 times

Advertisements

I am currently contracting and have been hoping to land a perm job so I interviewed 7 times w a large auditing firm (yes, I said SEVEN) and was made an offer that was $30,000 less than what I make in my contract job. I, for the first time, tried my hand at negotiating my salary and they rescinded the offer. I have been kind of bummed ever since wondering if I should have just taken their initial offer for the sake of having a perm job w benefits. But then on the other hand, their HR dept left a nasty taste in my mouth with leaving me in the dark for 3 days while they offered the job to someone else and didnt pay me the courtesy of saying "Take it or leave it" . Oh well, cant continue to cry over spilled milk. There must be something better on the horizon for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,915 times
OK SO LISTEN TO THIS SHOCKING INFORMATION

I applied for a position as a counter manager for Blink Brow Bar in Selfridges
I have experience of managing a team of 10-12 individuals as an assistant manager
I used to own my own Beauty salon
I got invited in for an interview
I got invited for a second interview
I got an email and written job offer and told to quit my job to attend training in London in the next few days
Accommodation and travel arranged and I quit my job
Until i went to my store approval at selfridges today ... They never told me i would need a store approval
The store approval went well amazing! Until i started filling in my paper work and i wrote my D.O.B
Next thing the woman doing my store approval completely changed her attitude interrogating me further basically being a B***H !!!
Just heard back from Blink - I have not been approved because i am not ''strong enough ''
AGE DISCRIMINATION!!!!
I AM NOW OUT OF WORK AND POCKET WHAT SHOULD I DO / ANYBODY ELSE BEEN IN THIS SITUATION????

Old 12-15-2012, 06:19 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,208 times
suziejohnson13, I do not know where you live or these company names, but you were definitely wronged by them. You left a job for a job offer that was then taken away due to your age. How awful? I know you get so angry, you would want to take legal recourse, but it is very hard task to take and probably not worth it. I don't know what to tell you other than focus on getting another job as soon as possible as much as you are hurt, you have to move on.

Sharing a story: Within the past year, one of my then unemployed friends had an offer rescinded by a large corporation after she was in the process of relocating across the country (this was for a mid-level non-management position). They really wronged her or anyone by doing that. I have no idea the particulars at the company itself, but I cannot imagine going through the difficulty of moving across the country for a job that is then "rescinded." Companies who would "screw" up people's lives like that are appalling. It is sad to think that this is somewhat a common occurrence.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
suziejohnson13, I do not know where you live or these company names, but you were definitely wronged by them. You left a job for a job offer that was then taken away due to your age. How awful? I know you get so angry, you would want to take legal recourse, but it is very hard task to take and probably not worth it. I don't know what to tell you other than focus on getting another job as soon as possible as much as you are hurt, you have to move on.

Sharing a story: Within the past year, one of my then unemployed friends had an offer rescinded by a large corporation after she was in the process of relocating across the country (this was for a mid-level non-management position). They really wronged her or anyone by doing that. I have no idea the particulars at the company itself, but I cannot imagine going through the difficulty of moving across the country for a job that is then "rescinded." Companies who would "screw" up people's lives like that are appalling. It is sad to think that this is somewhat a common occurrence.

I can understand how anyone can go into rage after having something like that happens

Old 12-19-2012, 09:33 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
Unhappy same here

A few years ago I had a job offered to me after 2 interviews, lab work and physical, background checks, references, and a salary offer and start date set.

On the day I was to give notice to my then current employer, I got a phone call just as I was picking up the phone to call my manager and give notice.

It was the hiring manager telling me they were hiring someone else "from within" who had expressed an interest in the job "at the last minute".

"Last minute" is right...

Old 10-11-2019, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 656 times
I started a new job, worked over 48 hrs, and then they rescinded their offer for employment. Are they still required to pay me for the hours that I worked even though they rescinded instead of "firing" me?

Old 10-13-2019, 01:19 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post

Here's the thing. I'm job hunting and don't want interviewers contacting my current employer. I heard that most understand this, although I'm not sure if that's right. So what if I'm offered a job and everything comes back perfect, I start working and 2 weeks down the line they "retract" it because they called my current company and didn't receive a stellar reference or something of the likes?
Let's not panic here.

First of all, no one is going to contact anyone unless you provide them the contact information to do so such as their name, e-mail address and phone number. If you don't provide that, they aren't contacting anyone.

For a reference, you don't give your current (or even previous) supervisor, just don't do this. I've never given that and I've been in the work force many years. My references are people who have the skill and are willing to speak highly about my work.

This is 2019 they aren't going to call up the company's general number and ask to speak to BingCherry's supervisor and the switchboard will put them through and without any questions. Where BingCherry's supervisor will stay on the phone for 20 minutes answering questions. Unless your job was bagging groceries someplace, no one is going to take the time to do that and even at the grocery stores they likely don't want to be bothered with it.

Background checks are just that. If you provide information that you worked at XYZ with a start and end date, or say you are currently employed there, that's all for the most part that is going to be verified and that isn't even done by HR in most companies. They have a third-party company that does this and there isn't a negative thing for them to say about you, because they don't have any negative or positive information to say. All they have is start date, if you work there currently, job title, full or part-time. If you no longer work there, it will confirm your end date, and if you were separated from on the company voluntarily or involuntarily. Voluntarily means you resigned or retired. Involuntarily means you were either terminated or a layoff. Unless you are working at a Mom and Pop grocery store, no HR wants to waste their time asking questions about current or previous employees.

There is no red flag for these background checks to the employer either, because these services are also used to verify employment for loans such as auto or mortgage, where they just want to know if you work there and have the start date you told them.

As for retracting an offer, it won't happen unless there is a real lie on the background check. Let's say you listed you have a Master's degree from XYZ University. They have access to a service which has most of the colleges online to verify a degree. They look in there and it comes back and says XYZ said no one under your name has attended. That doesn't mean you are automatically fired or dropped from consideration, they come back to you and say they were unable to verify that aspect of your background check. You look it over and tell them, you wrote down XYZ College, not University that they looked in the wrong place. Then they look in the right place and verify the degree. Same sort of thing for employer dates, they come back to ask you to correct things.

As for background checks, there can be mistakes like a criminal history that isn't yours. So you always set your start date to be 2 weeks after the background check and drug testing has been completed to their satisfaction.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:48 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
I know this thread is 8 years old. But my question is.....

I wonder what an employer/HR official would think if the candidate who got a start date offer, even though the background check isn't completed......told the employer: "I still want to start and work for you, but I'll wait until the background check is completed, so the offer is non-conditional.

Now, the unsaid nuance is, "I really don't expect anything at all to be an issue. BUT on the off chance there's a mistake in the report -- and you don't give me a chance to point out to you that you've been given wrong information -- I don't want to be scre wed out of the job I have. While we straighten everything out."

That's just the candidate protecting him or herself. BUT if makes the candidate look like they think there could be an issue. Even though they've said they don't.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:00 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
BUT if makes the candidate look like they think there could be an issue. Even though they've said they don't.
Identity theft happens all the time and people are able to commit crimes and walk free by using others identities. If you and your brother have the same name or your Father they can use your identity quite easily particularly if they know your Social Security number which in many cases they will. This kind of thing has been going on since the 1800's well before computers.

Old 10-24-2019, 03:13 PM

345 posts, read 252,392 times
This happened to me this morning. Two rounds of interviews with 6 people, offer accepted and paperwork filled out last Friday, background check and drug test completed on Tuesday. They wanted me to start next Monday. I was super excited because the culture seemed awesome and so did the hiring manager. I received this email today:

It is with regret that I must inform you that we must rescind our offer of employment at this time. Due to unforeseen changes in our business planning and structure we have decided to reduce our Aftermarket staff. It would not be fair to you as a candidate to onboard you then ask you to leave the business after a short-period of time. We thought it best to make this change now and provide you the opportunity to continue your search for full time employment.

Talk about a kick to the gut. Oh well back to square one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search