Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 07:19 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,773,273 times

Advertisements

Tuesday I interviewed with a local university -- one that I attended and graduated from years ago -- for an administrative position. The interview went well. I was told they received hundreds of applications and that I'm one of a few candidates remaining. I had reached out to my counselor after applying for the position and he told me he happened to sit on the screening committee. (A stroke of luck indeed.) Given that I got called for the interview, it's obvious he must have pulled for me.

There are two open positions, not just one, so they must need a lot of help in this department. I realize how rampant cronyism is in higher education and figure at least one or two of the candidates must already work for the university.

I worked very hard to prepare for the interview, and even harder on the multiple writing exercises I was required to submit yesterday (added pictures, did thorough research, etc.) I really gave it my all. I incorporated the university's mission and vision statements, stressed how passionate I was about education, and mentioned that I've stayed in tune with everything taking place at the institution over the years. I still plan on sending thank you letters to all the interviewers this weekend.

Do I have a fighting chance?

In a perfect world, they might decide to give one position to an internal candidate and the other to someone coming from the outside. I just hope that all my hard work wasn't in vain. The committee seemed friendly and actively involved (e.g. jotting down my responses) but it's hard to gauge whether that really means anything.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Wordsmith12; 06-10-2011 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 07:58 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Tuesday I interviewed with a local university -- one that I attended and graduated from years ago -- for an administrative position. The interview went well. I was told they received hundreds of applications and that I'm one of a few candidates remaining. I had reached out to my counselor after applying for the position and he told me he happened to sit on the screening committee. (A stroke of luck indeed.) Given that I got called for the interview, it's obvious he must have pulled for me.

There are two open positions, not just one, so they must need a lot of help in this department. I realize how rampant cronyism is in higher education and figure at least one or two of the candidates must already work for the university.

I worked very hard to prepare for the interview, and even harder on the multiple writing exercises I was required to submit yesterday (added pictures, did thorough research, etc.) I really gave it my all. I incorporated the university's mission and vision statements, stressed how passionate I was about education, and mentioned that I've stayed in tune with everything taking place at the institution over the years. I still plan on sending thank you letters to all the interviewers this weekend.

Do I have a fighting chance?

In a perfect world, they might decide to give one position to an internal candidate and the other to someone coming from the outside. I just hope that all my hard work wasn't in vain. The committee seemed friendly and actively involved (e.g. jotting down my responses) but it's hard to gauge whether that really means anything.

Thanks for reading.
What do you want us to write?

Old 06-10-2011, 10:02 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,637,069 times
None of us have any idea. They could have people who were more qualified, done the job before, etc.

They may have an internal candidate.

You did your best-- it sounds like you went above and beyond. Be patient.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:38 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,773,273 times
Thanks for the replies so far.
It's obvious no one can be certain. I wanted to see what everyone's gut feeling was based on the information I provided.

My only hope is that:
1) There are few or no internal candidates (wishful thinking)
2) The passion I displayed for the university and its mission will get me over the hump
3) I did very well on the exercises

Old 06-10-2011, 01:17 PM

331 posts, read 956,508 times
Your chances would be one of a few, or 33.3%. If there are two open positions, your chances would be 66.6%. If a few means 4, then your chances are 50%. Of course, in reality, these numbers don't mean anything, but I like to use percentages as a rough guideline since that is the only conclusive information that you have. The rest is all speculation. I hope it works out for you because you have done all that you can do (and that is all you can do).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment