Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 04:21 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,705 times

Advertisements

Hey! I've been fired TWICE...once because of politics, and the second time, because they found out I had gotten fired before!!
I had taken a new job where a very young girl was in charge and one person with about 15 years at the place quit. Then another person was fired. Then it was my turn. This girl bragged about loving the power and said openly she wanted to hire her friends. She protected our supervisor, who took off A LOT OF TIME. She loved assuming the power, and was more than willing to cover for the supervisor.
When I was fired, the two of them were gone for the day. Another manager took me in her office and fired me. There was this letter handed to me, and I looked at it, and I couldn't believe it. A letter of lies, justifying firing me. I said to this manager, "Look, obviously you all have your minds made up, so don't come up with lies to justify doing this. I am not going to agree to your lies about me."
It is amazing in the business world, how some can go around without accountability. I showed up for work ontime, did my job, stayed out of the politics, helped out wherever I could, and I got fired.
Then I found another job, but I did not put on my application that I had worked at the other place because I had only been there 3 weeks. Does a company tell you everything when they hire you, or only the stuff they want you to know? Well, Murphy's Law, I ran into someone from the other place, and they must have told someone, because I got fired. I thought it was odd. I got fired for having been fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 04:25 PM

Default It's not what you know, it's who you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynut View Post
Its funny because my father who has worked for just 2 different companies his working life doesnt get it. Only reason he worked for 2 is the first went out of business. I try to explain to him things arent the way they were back in the day. There is no loyalty no long term employment. If a company can replace you and save money they do. The rules are black and white with no gray areas and I am sorry as human beings we all live in gray areas. Now dont get me wrong consistent lateness, missed days poor work ethic are all good reasons to terminate but it seems like it always the good employees that fall in the cracks and you know the ones I am talking about, the people with family emergencies or problems and it effects their work. Instead of trying to help find a common meeting ground these people are just terminated. Man over the years I have lost some good people
I totally agree...the old rules don't apply anymore. There is no loyalty on either side, and now employees grab the next best thing when they can.
I have a good work ethic, but it has never made me wealthy. I always find myself up against coworkers who don't want any competition, and try to get the new person to leave.
Somehow, these employees find some kind of protection at work, and use bullying tactics to keep themselves in their own castles.
You can see the quality of services and products going way down...good employees don't get promoted or used to both sides' benefits.
But I will always do my job well...I am being paid to do that as a professional, and that is how I feel about myself.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:02 AM

468 posts, read 1,637,232 times
I technically just got fired. Get this...

I just got out of college and was semi-offered my first job. The problem? Ten hour drive to the middle of nowhere. But hey, it was what I wanted to do, so I jumped at the opportunity. I went there for a week, learned the ropes and did a test, which I thought was simply a formality. Got a call this morning saying management didn't like my test at all, and I was told to leave immediately.

They weren't buying my explanations. I went into it thinking I was the only applicant, and they would just 'settle' for me. Boy howdy, I was wrong.

So I was fired from a job I hadn't even worked at. I'm still really pissed off...I drove twenty hours to and from only to get rejected, within a week!

Old 10-13-2007, 09:51 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,105,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Hey! I've been fired TWICE...once because of politics, and the second time, because they found out I had gotten fired before!!
I had taken a new job where a very young girl was in charge and one person with about 15 years at the place quit. Then another person was fired. Then it was my turn. This girl bragged about loving the power and said openly she wanted to hire her friends. She protected our supervisor, who took off A LOT OF TIME. She loved assuming the power, and was more than willing to cover for the supervisor.
When I was fired, the two of them were gone for the day. Another manager took me in her office and fired me. There was this letter handed to me, and I looked at it, and I couldn't believe it. A letter of lies, justifying firing me. I said to this manager, "Look, obviously you all have your minds made up, so don't come up with lies to justify doing this. I am not going to agree to your lies about me."
It is amazing in the business world, how some can go around without accountability. I showed up for work ontime, did my job, stayed out of the politics, helped out wherever I could, and I got fired.
Then I found another job, but I did not put on my application that I had worked at the other place because I had only been there 3 weeks. Does a company tell you everything when they hire you, or only the stuff they want you to know? Well, Murphy's Law, I ran into someone from the other place, and they must have told someone, because I got fired. I thought it was odd. I got fired for having been fired.
NO....I really think you got fired the 2nd time for ommitting the first from your application.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:52 PM

558 posts, read 2,248,605 times
During college, I was fired from a waitress job (what is was called then; I guess now it's a server). The manager was so kind, I felt bad for him. He told me my "talents lie elsewhere". I've used that phrase many times since, as an employer letting someone go. I learned so much from his kindness, that 99% of the people I've fired have left thanking me and promising to stay in touch and let me know how they're doing. I always look at it as not firing the person, but re-directing them toward something where their talents can serve them better.

Unless, of course, they've been caught stealing from me...then I can be a nasty SOB!

Old 10-14-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
NO....I really think you got fired the 2nd time for ommitting the first from your application.
So do companies tell you everything???

Do they tell you why the last person left?

How many companies tell you that they fired the last person who was there, or that the last person(s) left because of a bad work environment?

If you say you were fired because of politics, are they going to take a chance with you?

Is it obligatory to tell them you were fired from a job?

Why should you feel obligated when they don't have to reciprocate?

Old 10-14-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
So do companies tell you everything???

Do they tell you why the last person left?

How many companies tell you that they fired the last person who was there, or that the last person(s) left because of a bad work environment?

If you say you were fired because of politics, are they going to take a chance with you?

Is it obligatory to tell them you were fired from a job?

Why should you feel obligated when they don't have to reciprocate?
Because the company is the one making the offer, based on THEIR criteria.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:46 PM

239 posts, read 799,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Because the company is the one making the offer, based on THEIR criteria.
And we accept based on OUR criteria. It's a two-way street.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:28 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,137,694 times
In 99 I was working for an internet company. My first week after having answered the phone previosuly and signing up a few customers I answered the phone early in the morning after 7 rings. The girl next to me just came in and we both looked at each other and she said I could answer it. So, I answer it and it's a guy wanting service. I signed him up and made no mistakes. Afterwards the ownerr comes tearing out of the room and asked what I did. I explained that no one was around and I was encouraged to answer the phone since I was the only one at the desk. The owner calls me into the office and says, "You just can't answer the phone you'll lose us customers." I explained that I just signed a customer up. She responds that I probably did'nt fill out the right paperwork. I pointed out that I checked the correct box and the customer did not ask any questions. I expalined that if he asked a difficult question I would have put him on hold like I was told to do. But, she says" no you'll lose us money." "Go home for the day and call us back later to see if you have a job." I walked out of there in disbelief and the girl at my station who's name was Tami asked what happened. I told her I was being sent home. Since Tami asked me to answer the phone in the first place she felt bad and went into the office. I heard screaming and hollering. The next thing Tami comes out and says she was fired. Im shaking my head in disbelief and then the owner comes charging out of the office screaming for us to get out! She then reiterates that Im supposed to call her but Tami is fired. I looked back at her and said Im not going to bother!" "As far as Im concerned Im outta here. " Tami and I went to the diner and she told me war stories about the place which made it obvious that this was for the best. I kept in touch with Tami through 2000 but she moved to Pittsburgh after she got married. The whole incident was very bizarre. I've explained it to many people and all have said I did the right thing by not calling back to beg for my job back.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Flanders View Post
And we accept based on OUR criteria. It's a two-way street.
I couldnt agree more.....and if the two criteria match[or at least a close approximation]....you have achieved employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment