U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:43 AM

784 posts, read 3,212,791 times

Advertisements

At the place I work, there are many people who are fired every month. Many are fired without any type of notice or warning of any type. It is a shock to them and many are quite angry because they know it will take them months to find a new job with a termination on their record.

When I worked for a large Fortune 500 Company, the Management were real strict and no one could be fired without due process unless it was a case of gross misconduct.

Have you or a friend been fired. Was it fair? Tell us your stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 03:24 PM

2,522 posts, read 471,507 times
I've been fired or pushed out of every company I worked for. I'm older, wiser, and now I work for myself. I'll never work for another corporation again.

greenmachine

Old 08-06-2007, 05:47 PM

4,088 posts, read 9,627,462 times
I've never been fired but I've had to fire many people over the years and it's very stressful. One job I had to fire five people the first week I was there, so I cried almost everyday because I felt so bad.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:50 PM

2,522 posts, read 471,507 times
Rapture has a good point. These aren't really joyful stories to tell.

green machine

Old 08-06-2007, 08:24 PM

510 posts, read 2,326,920 times
I called in "quit" about 5 times to one job. Granted I did have something I wanted to do on the weekend, so it was sorta justified Go with the goal to make yourself too valuable to fire... granted that doesn't exist in larger companies...

Old 08-08-2007, 07:03 AM

404 posts, read 81,318 times
Yes. But it's not my best story on employment. I had been delivering pizzas at Giordano's for 5 years making 700+ a week. I always made cash deposits into my bank account. Suddenly, a wage garnishment showed up, and the restraunt was unwilling to work with the lawyer to get him 30 bucks a week. Their excuse to me was we can't help you, it costs too much money for the corporation to cut a check.

The best story is when I quit a temp job after working at the same company for 18 months. I was a Kelly Girl. It was right around Christmas, I was general office but main duty was Accounts Payable and Receivable. I wanted the package deal. Job with the company, 401K, health benefits, the works. Including 35K a year.

Since the three owners couldn't come to a unanimous decision, I was told they were not interested, but could stick around for as long as I liked. A few months went by, the looks from the owners become fearing and threatening. It was 2 weeks before Christmas. Since I was or felt like I was the go to guy, I asked for two weeks off between the few days before Christmas and a day or two after New Years. I would have missed 4 day of work in those 2 weeks.

They wouldn't give it to me, and because the office was shorthanded because the other office employee was out, I left. I even passed up $1700.00 in Christmas Bonuses, and was the guy who had the duty of carrying out the board with all the employees names on it during the fire drills, the in/out board.

It was the best decision I ever made. Like 3 days later I got a job delivering pizzas, and my weekly pay was 2x the check I was getting as an overworked office temp. Sure I could have waited and taken the Christmas Bonus, but I didn't want the blood money, I wanted the package.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:43 AM

3,434 posts, read 6,704,272 times
I havent been fired...but the day I had to pass out pink slips to 20 people that worked for me was horrible, its hard to let people that have worked for you for years know they are being laid off. Also had to fire a few employees, companies decision, not mine, and that def sucked, for lack of a better term to describe it.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:09 AM

286 posts, read 1,159,364 times
Default Oh yeah... I've had my unlucky draws....

Been laid off more than anything...

Laid off by a GM supplier right before the start of my shift on what would have been my 90th day. Had I worked that day, I would have had union benefits and 60% of wage layoff pay. Tell me that wasn't planned....

Laid off by my most recent employer... property management, owned many properties throughout the US. They advised in Nov 05 that my portfolio was up for sale. Any person NOT retained upon the sale would get a minimum of 2-8 weeks severence pay depending on years serviced; those retained would get a retention bonus of $1000. For a good 4 months, we were told they had discussions in the works, but no buyers - Michigan properties were holding the whole portfolio down. However, they saw that all regional management members were replaced and changed some major company policies. May of 06, all but 1 property manager in the Michigan region was replaced for poor sales. Found out that week via unemployment office that they HAD sold the company before the end of 05, we were all working for another property management company but still getting our checks and benefits through the original company until they could put the management team they wanted in place without paying out severence, and the sale was finally announced Jun 06. What a crock of ....

The job before that was only a 29 day stretch, and I had only reported about half of those days (~14) as actual work days because I was on 12 hour shifts alternating 3/4 work days per week; 5 of those days I was at a training class taught at a community college with no supervisor to report nor anyone from my agency to verify my habits. So that means maybe 8-9 days I was actually in the office, all of which I showed up 5-20 mins early, usually 15, and we did not have a time clock to punch into. I had never been later than my start time. It was a gov't position, and I received union protection on my 30th day. Upon hire, around my 2nd day, the director asked me some inappropriate questions. Found out the next week that the union attorney had been attempting to raise a case of sexual harrassment against the director for YEARS. Attorney got word of what had happened with me, and on my 27th day, came into our office to request an informal meeting of me, asked me within earshot of the supervisors if I would be willing to discuss the situation with the director. I replied that I was not too keen at rocking any boats and it wouldn't be appropriate for me to stir any pots as my job could be jeapordized. The next day, the director called me in and advised I was released from duty for "habitual tardiness" that would be "verified by his [non-union] supervisory staff." Found out that afternoon by the gal that was training me that this same director had actually let a male employee in training actually be habitually late or not show up until several hours into his shift for about 6 months before he was terminated. I was so furious at him costing me a future in the career I was attempting to establish, and I absolutely cannot get rehired into a similar position with another agency because my employment reference always goes back to this director ... and I know he has been giving off the record bad references for me (I try to keep my employment with that agency as quiet as I can), resulting in my attempts at good employment to go bust. I'm not sure which part is worse.. being terminated for so a a**backwards situation or not being able to move on from that thorn in my side a good 2 years later.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:26 AM

3,080 posts, read 7,161,372 times
I have never been fired. I am glad I don't work in a place that lays off and fires frequently. I need the security of having a secure job.

Dawn

Old 08-12-2007, 09:16 AM

186 posts, read 382,318 times
I put my 2 weeks in. After a week went by I was called in and told my service are no longer needed but the company (which was city government) would pay me for my last week My talked to my buddy about it a month later. He said I wonder if that had to do with the coffee can that went missing with a label on it. "Kens bailout fund for beating up the Supervisor" No one liked that supervisor I left for more money and less headaches. I am not really sure what to make of that one. There was only a few cents in the fund
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment