Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 AM

8 posts, read 9,566 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I am a translator and also worked as an English teacher for several years. Now I work for an institution which is overall a great place to work.

Nevertheless a few things have been bugging me:

1. Right now there are some civil works in the area where the institution is located so we are not getting many customers anymore, and I must add I work on a comission basis so if during the day no papers come in to be translated I don't make a penny the whole day. My income has gone down at least 60%, and this is to continue for a about one more year. I've fallen behind in rent, utilities, schooling (I have 2 daughters - 2 and 5 years old), I have even been borrowing money every month to pay back and borrow money again, and have fallen behind on my bank installments.

2. I feel under valued at work. I have many skills but they don't let me use them.

For example, about a month ago there was a position available in other area, so I asked if I coukld apply for the position and they said "Sure. No problem", so I did.

According to the human resources director I did an excellent job in the interview and tests and from all candidates I was by far the most qualified and fit the profile very well. The IT coordinator, told me the same, he said "The job is yours I think. I heard from Human resources that the other applicants are nowhere near your level, and you have the ideal profile for the posistion and as it involves IT knowledge and I know you're pretty good, I'm backing you up".

To my surprise Human Resources sent me a letter saying "Thanks for trying. But unfortunately, you didn't pass the interview and do not fit the profile according to the tests". Wtf? I found out later that the high management does not want me there because they do not like my personality (I'm very sociable, kind and helpful but also very strict and straightforward to people) which is what they need for this position exactly, but they just gave me a big no. They lied to me. They didn't even have enough courage to step up and say "You did well. But we don't want you there" or "Don't apply. We don't think you're the right person for this job" But this has really disappointed me and have felt upset and uncomfortable ever since.

3. Whenever I step up for my rights as a worker, for example, when they ask me to translate papers for free or at a lower price for other companies that are friends to the management or they just want to have a good image reflected on the other company or person, of course I refuse as I get paid by comissions and not a fixed salary or by hours. Or when they try to give me unfair paycuts I ask for justification and always try to get to amiddle deal. I just don't take BS from nobody.

This has caused that whenever I have an idea, suggestion, comment, etc. it is seen as if I were trying to be against the management, regardless from the idea being great. It's like they tell me with their actions or by ignoring what I say "Shut up and translate. You're not here to think or give your opinion or suggestions (not even for the translation service) that's the management's duties." Even though they do not do anything as other services of the companies provide much greater income. I think they just don't care.

In summary, I've thought about quitting but what I am to do then, I don't have any savings, finding a job is quite hard these days.

I hate to suck it up, I really want to quit but then what about my family, how do I provide for them?

Thanks for any comment and excuse me for such a long thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 09:24 AM

123 posts, read 245,179 times
I have been in situations like yours. Where I was too frank and straightforward for my own good. Burned bridges and all that.

The only thing to do in this situation is to realize that there is no growth for you in this company. You won't be fired, but you won't get promoted either.

So start looking for another job, right NOW! And once you start a job search, the office politics will also not bother you that much, been moi exp :-)

Old 06-14-2011, 09:37 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,963,614 times
Complete your assigned tasks. Embrace the mindset that this company is like a government agency giving you a fat unemployment paycheck without all the gaps in employment. Use your spare time to look for a better job while collecting that fat "employment" check.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:12 AM

Thanks to both of you. What I noticed is that both of you suggest I start looking for another job in the meantime while being careful not to incur in qutting for good without having found a decent job first.

I've been looking up jobs (started only today) on those employment web sites , and guys I've got to say that it is unbelievable what they are paying translators and teachers nowadays. (They ask for English, Spanish, French, Portuguese and 12 hours a day of translation of specialized papers plus other duties). They are paying what I'm making or less and got to work 24/7.

I'll keep looking just the same, or might even try freelancing on-line in my free time.

Thanks again.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translator82 View Post
Thanks to both of you. What I noticed is that both of you suggest I start looking for another job in the meantime while being careful not to incur in qutting for good without having found a decent job first.

I've been looking up jobs (started only today) on those employment web sites , and guys I've got to say that it is unbelievable what they are paying translators and teachers nowadays. (They ask for English, Spanish, French, Portuguese and 12 hours a day of translation of specialized papers plus other duties). They are paying what I'm making or less and got to work 24/7.

I'll keep looking just the same, or might even try freelancing on-line in my free time.

Thanks again.
Is it difficult to get into the UN or some other international agency?

Old 06-14-2011, 10:29 AM

UN? Excuse me for my ignorance, but I'm guessing it is an international agency for translators. Am I right?

I had been thinking about a web site called proz.com, don't know how good it is, though (inregards to work - it is great as a source of information).

Thanks for the clarification.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:32 AM

Or maybe you mean the United Nations? In such case is there any work there? I wonder . I'll look it up.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:51 AM

123 posts, read 245,179 times
If you are already working on commission basis without any benefits then freelancing is a great idea. I have heard of proz.com. Big site for translaters. Other great freelance sites are odesk.com, elance.com and guru.com. odesk is really big for freelancers in all categories.

There are others where you can do lots of projects and get paid peanuts. But the above ones are where you get decent sized projects which you will enjoy doing and utilize your skills more.

btw, which language do you translate for. Spanish to English? Do you live near a college which has an ESL center. (English as Second Language)

Old 06-14-2011, 10:58 AM

Yeah, the United Nations. It seems like they'd definitely have a need for translators. Also, I'd think that the FBI and CIA would need them. I'm not really familiar with the translator profession. Are there a lot of people who do it? Are there professional organizations for translators (like SAE for engineers) that might help you network a bit?

Old 06-14-2011, 11:00 AM

Well, I translate from and to the Spanish and English Languages (My Expertise is legal papers, law suits, contracts, judgements, vital records, etc., but I also translate all kind of papers).

I am in Colombia, South America and work for a BNC (BiNational Center), so they teach English here to adults, teenagers, kids, companies, government offices, etc.

Our main business is the teaching of English as a Foreign language (as we aren't in an English Speaking Country). That's why I said they don't care that much about translations, I guess for them it's just more like a corporate image, sth like we have translations, too; But what they make with translations in 2 years they make it in 1 or 2 mobths with English Teaching.

Thanks for the info on the translation websites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment