Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times

Advertisements

Every business and situation is different and must do what is in it's best interest. If the business had a blow (lost a major client, etc) and asked it's employees to work additional hours for less pay, or no pay, I bet the employee would walk.

The situation is surely horrible, but we as individuals are well prepared for it with savings, alternative insurances, private long term care, disability, etc insurances to cover these kinds of scenarios.

I had one guy who was diagnosed with ALS. I chose to keep him on payroll and insurance and have him work for 1 day a week from the office and 4 days from home. He passed away 2 years down the road (God Bless M.L.T). I had him insured for $4 million (his salary was $176k). I use the $4 million insurance benefit to continue to pay his salary to the family after his passing. Unfortunately, I could not continue to provide the family health insurance :-( for liability reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 12:11 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The situation is surely horrible, but we as individuals are well prepared for it with savings, alternative insurances, private long term care, disability, etc insurances to cover these kinds of scenarios.
That's quite an assumption. Do you know this for a fact? I'm 25, just graduated from college three years ago. I suppose I'm supposed to have a couple hundred thousand saved in case of an emergency like this? Sorry, I don't, because I didn't come from a well-to-do family.

Would this guy have access to some alternative insurance (like COBRA?)? Private long term care (an example?)? Disability? I'm asking, because I don't know.

Just saying something to say it doesn't solve the problem or make it true. Unless you know for a fact that this guy would qualify for something like this, then your point is moot.

P.S. Worker bees work more hours for less pay all the time in this day and age. My father took a 10% pay cut two years ago and works 40-50 hours a week. He's blue collar, so probably a bit beneath you and your world of high paying business ventures and contacts. I'm sure it's difficult to understand nonetheless.

Last edited by Z3N1TH 0N3; 06-17-2011 at 12:28 AM..

Old 06-17-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
That's quite an assumption. Do you know this for a fact? I'm 25, just graduated from college three years ago. I suppose I'm supposed to have a couple hundred thousand saved in case of an emergency like this? Sorry, I don't, because I didn't come from a well-to-do family.

Would this guy have access to some alternative insurance (like COBRA?)? Private long term care (an example?)? Disability? I'm asking, because I don't know.

Just saying something to say it doesn't solve the problem or make it true. Unless you know for a fact that this guy would qualify for something like this, then your point is moot.

P.S. Worker bees work more hours for less pay all the time in this day and age. My father took a 10% pay cut two years ago and works 40-50 hours a week. He's blue collar, so probably a bit beneath you and your world of high paying business ventures and contacts. I'm sure it's difficult to understand nonetheless.
Well the wife has insurance coverage through disability. The article indicated that COBRA was too expensive...

It also said the husband was receiving unemployment insurance. So that's 50% of his weekly income up to $625 week from the state and $500/week from private.... $1125/week is decent. He's not in the worst condition.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Well the wife has insurance coverage through disability. The article indicated that COBRA was too expensive...

It also said the husband was receiving unemployment insurance. So that's 50% of his weekly income up to $625 week from the state and $500/week from private.... $1125/week is decent. He's not in the worst condition.
Where in the article did it say he was making $1125/week? I read it twice and didn't see that. Also, they even claim in the article that they didn't know how they were going to pay her medical expenses. So I'm guessing they have a pretty good idea what they can afford, and this certainly isn't it.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Where in the article did it say he was making $1125/week? I read it twice and didn't see that. Also, they even claim in the article that they didn't know how they were going to pay her medical expenses. So I'm guessing they have a pretty good idea what they can afford, and this certainly isn't it.
The article indicated he was on unemployment. He was a management level accountant in Massachusetts, which more than likely puts his annual salary above $52k or close.... highly unlikely much less if it is less.

Based on Mass unemployment payout (state and private), his benefit would be ~$1125/week. If he was under-insured and didn't have private unemployment insurance, he would be getting only $625/week. But as an educated individual, let's assume he was responsible.

Medical bills should be covered by disability insurance (for her), which his wife is covered by. They did say that they couldn't afford COBRA...

Old 06-17-2011, 05:17 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,637,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
That is a mighty, mighty stretch.

First, he wasn't asking to not work at all. He was asking for an altered schedule.

Second, his wife is dying. To be blunt, that means the accommodation would be temporary, until she passed. The doctors gave her four months to live.

Third, if a business of 50 people will fall apart because one person needs a bit of accommodation while caring for his dying wife, then that is a poorly managed business that is probably on its way out, anyway. I mean, really, NO business save a sole proprietorship depends on the presence of one person at all times.

Fourth, in the highly unlikely event that this company's survival depended on one person, it's going to fall apart now, anyway. Who would want to work for them, knowing what could happen to them when tragedy strikes? In fact, I'll be willing to wager that they see an exodus of current employees.

Death is part of life, and as others have said, this company acted in a grossly inhumane way. If anything causes the demise of this business, it is going to be all the bad publicity this disgusting bit of heartlessness has created. If I were a vendor or business partner to them, I'd pull out.
People wishing for the company to go under, remove all business from them, hoping that they burn to the ground, etc-- basically is asking for the other 49 employees to be put out of work. Plain and simple. It has nothing to do with management, it has nothing to do with the business relying on one person. It has everything to do with because of a seemingly despicable decision made by upper leadership would now people think it is absolutely reasonable to also wish the same unemployment on the remaining employees who had nothing to do with the decision.

So my question is legitimate. What about the other employees--are they not as special? Do they not have just as critical reasons for needing to be employed-- does it even matter that they may not have a wife dying of cancer? I don't think it does-- their livelihoods are just as important to them for whatever reasons. I don't wish the destruction of a company which will then impact other innocent bystanders.

As for the news story- who absolutely knows why the decision was made? We know one news story-- I have no idea why the decision was made-- I have no idea of the man's criticality to be there during the day. NONE of us know. And I am not going to demonize an entire company because I know what a sensational news story sought to provoke.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:38 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
It is all about the culture where you work, and the relationship you have with your boss, and your work performance--what if the guy was a marginal employee prior to his wife's illness? Who knows?

Let this be a lesson to us all...work hard, do your job, but don't forget they will get rid of you any time...no one is irreplacable.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
People wishing for the company to go under, remove all business from them, hoping that they burn to the ground, etc-- basically is asking for the other 49 employees to be put out of work. Plain and simple. It has nothing to do with management, it has nothing to do with the business relying on one person. It has everything to do with because of a seemingly despicable decision made by upper leadership would now people think it is absolutely reasonable to also wish the same unemployment on the remaining employees who had nothing to do with the decision.

So my question is legitimate. What about the other employees--are they not as special? Do they not have just as critical reasons for needing to be employed-- does it even matter that they may not have a wife dying of cancer? I don't think it does-- their livelihoods are just as important to them for whatever reasons. I don't wish the destruction of a company which will then impact other innocent bystanders.

As for the news story- who absolutely knows why the decision was made? We know one news story-- I have no idea why the decision was made-- I have no idea of the man's criticality to be there during the day. NONE of us know. And I am not going to demonize an entire company because I know what a sensational news story sought to provoke.
I guess I'm one of these people who feel that EVERYONE must face repercussions to their actions, no matter who they are or how many jobs they provide. Let me ask this? Should the fact that a company provides jobs put them above the law, so to speak, in terms of them getting away with despicable acts? When this guy told them his wife had cancer, I'm sure they realized that treatment of such a disease is very expensive, and, without health insurance, it would put this man in quite a financial bind. Yet, they followed through with it. Now, not only on this board, but most places where this company/story resides on the Internet, I see the majority of reviews/comments are not in favor of doing business with this company. So, it begs the question, how do you really feel? Say these silly comments were never made and you had no reason to deflect the real issue. Would you respond to the story? What would you say about it?

Look at the bright side. The of dissolution of Haynes Management might force the hand of one or more of the accountants to start up their own accounting firm. The economy grows, a horrible management team goes under, more jobs created. Creative destruction. All is good.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
I guess I'm one of these people who feel that EVERYONE must face repercussions to their actions, no matter who they are or how many jobs they provide. Let me ask this? Should the fact that a company provides jobs put them above the law, so to speak, in terms of them getting away with despicable acts? When this guy told them his wife had cancer, I'm sure they realized that treatment of such a disease is very expensive, and, without health insurance, it would put this man in quite a financial bind. Yet, they followed through with it. Now, not only on this board, but most places where this company/story resides on the Internet, I see the majority of reviews/comments are not in favor of doing business with this company. So, it begs the question, how do you really feel? Say these silly comments were never made and you had no reason to deflect the real issue. Would you respond to the story? What would you say about it?

Look at the bright side. The of dissolution of Haynes Management might force the hand of one or more of the accountants to start up their own accounting firm. The economy grows, a horrible management team goes under, more jobs created. Creative destruction. All is good.
You're making the assumptions that the company is in good financial condition. They could have been in red for all we know... in which case, the company had no choice.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:27 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
So? What is your point? That somebody else couldn't possibly step in for the interim? That's a pretty ridiculous implication. If our operations manager goes on vacation for a couple weeks, our company doesn't fall apart. This guy would at least still be working.
I merely disputed a post someone else made that said since this employee was an accountant so they could do the work at any time. That may not actually be true.

Could someone else step in and do the job? I have no idea. But that has absolutely nothing to do with my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment