U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:17 AM

403 posts, read 510,958 times

Advertisements

I hear Seattle's good. Is this true? If not then what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 07:18 AM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 29 days ago)

31,895 posts, read 37,877,669 times
It depends on what you can do.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:22 AM

403 posts, read 510,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It depends on what you can do.
That's why I said overall.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:22 AM

26,551 posts, read 47,232,923 times
Pittsburgh has weathered the recession rather well.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 29 days ago)

31,895 posts, read 37,877,669 times
Omaha would be a good place to look.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:45 AM

18,717 posts, read 15,638,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Pittsburgh has weathered the recession rather well.
Pittsburgh may have weathered the recession fairly well, but that doesn't mean it has a good job market.

The economic situation was rough in Pittsburgh before the recession, and so they didn't plummet as much as other areas. And things are now looking up. Recently, low rents have attracted a few new businesses, which is excellent news, but the burgh still has a ways to go. IMO it will continue to steadily improve--but, and this is a big but, it's misleading to present Pittsburgh as a city with a strong job market. Someday, maybe even someday soon--but not yet. IMO. I'm a big fan of the city, and I'm glad to see it growing healthier and healthier, but let's be realistic.

For example, a person we both know very well moved to Pittsburgh six months ago. He loves living there--and that's great--but he hasn't had the best luck finding a job using his college degree, even though it's in accounting, a practical field that should have job openings in a city with a hot job market. Yes, he found a job--but it was as a delivery driver. He's been complaining for months about being underemployed, and continues to actively search for a job that will actually use his degree. I'm sure he'll find a great job soon, but before bragging about Pittsburgh's job market it should be noted that so far that hasn't happened.

Nothing wrong with that, the same story is playing out for young professionals all around the country. The point is it shows that Pittsburgh is not what I'd call a strong job market (unless you want to work in fast food or some other job like that). Sadly, not too many cities are these days.

Last edited by Caladium; 06-17-2011 at 08:01 AM..

Old 06-17-2011, 10:56 AM

7,483 posts, read 8,496,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
I hear Seattle's good. Is this true? If not then what?
This is too broad a question to the point where the answer has little value. People who are actually looking for jobs will be more concerned with which cities has the best job market for their specialty.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:25 PM

18,717 posts, read 15,638,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
This is too broad a question to the point where the answer has little value. People who are actually looking for jobs will be more concerned with which cities has the best job market for their specialty.
Exactly. Some people think DC is a great job market. However, most jobs here require at least one degree (several degrees is preferable) and they often need people who already have security clearances. It's not such a good job market for those seeking regular jobs, though.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:41 PM

96 posts, read 178,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Exactly. Some people think DC is a great job market. However, most jobs here require at least one degree (several degrees is preferable) and they often need people who already have security clearances. It's not such a good job market for those seeking regular jobs, though.
I think DC (and certain other cities) get this reputation as being great job markets because of all of these news articles that come out, ranking job markets by looking at the number of unemployed job seekers vs. number of advertised openings. I personally think this methodology is questionable for many reasons - and for DC, if they're counting the number of postings the federal government puts out in that calculation, well, we all know that a good number of those jobs have already been filled and the posting is just to comply with policy/regulations.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:04 AM

3,166 posts, read 4,281,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
If a company wants you, most often they will take care of getting you the clearance. I know that's been the case with both my kids. DC does have the lowest unemployment rate in the country. If that matters to those looking for a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment