Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:05 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times

Advertisements

Politics aside, I'd like to address the issue of employers vs employees, and the cause of our chronically high unemployment.

It's become quite clear to me that corporations no longer care about their employees on a massive, pervasive scale - shipping jobs overseas and trimming pay and benefits just to save a few pennies to the ever-so-important "shareholders". Do these greedy corporations not understand the meaning of "treason"? For that's exactly what it is - harming the social fabric of this country just to save a buck or two.

In my world, all corporations would have to operate as giant charities, with the overriding goal of promoting full employment at high pay and great benefits, as opposed to making "profit", which only enriches the few. I'd guarantee a job (a good job, not some min wage crap at the burger hut) for every American that wishes to work and earn a living. People generally do NOT want a hand-out, they want a JOB. Preferably one that pays the bills.

But what angers me the most is all the horror stories I read in this forum of how employers treat their employees - it's like they think of the lowly employee as a piece of chattel, rather than a real, live human being. The can fire people at the drop of a hat, for no reason whatsoever, and yet they make it damn near impossible to get a job - what with credit checks, past 10 years of work history, and don't forget to mention that "gap", or you'll be fired on your first day of work should they find out. Ugh, this makes me so mad and upset.

It's beyond clear that capitalism is an utter, complete failure, and it's time to do something drastically different in my beloved United States. It's time to give all the rights to the employees and strip the corporations of all the rights they clearly don't deserve. We need to impose high tariffs on ALL imports, to spur domestic production, we need to make ALL natural resources part of the "commons", which means all proceeds from the harvesting of natural resources go to benefit the public, rather than the elite few. In short, we need a leader like this dude: Huey Long - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If he had made it to President as opposed to being gunned down, I honestly believe we would be living in an age of peace and prosperity beyond our wildest dreams.

Today, employers have all the chips, and the employees have none. All of us need to band together and take back what's rightfully ours, the right to have a GOOD job, at GOOD pay, with GOOD benefits. Nothing less is acceptable. And I mean that, 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 07:08 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
How many jobs have you created? Has your not-for-profit, create high-paying jobs philosophy worked for you?

Old 06-20-2011, 07:12 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
It's become quite clear to me that corporations no longer care about their employees on a massive
Corporations maximizing profit at the expense of employees is not a new phenomenon, this offshoring you are noting is because there wasn't as much overseas production/service capacity to utilize in the past

Quote:
It's beyond clear that capitalism is an utter, complete failure
As evidenced by the living standard of the people in the United States versus Cuba or North Korea, or by the swelling middle class in China.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:30 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Politics aside, I'd like to address the issue of employers vs employees, and the cause of our chronically high unemployment.

It's become quite clear to me that corporations no longer care about their employees on a massive, pervasive scale - shipping jobs overseas and trimming pay and benefits just to save a few pennies to the ever-so-important "shareholders". Do these greedy corporations not understand the meaning of "treason"? For that's exactly what it is - harming the social fabric of this country just to save a buck or two.

In my world, all corporations would have to operate as giant charities, with the overriding goal of promoting full employment at high pay and great benefits, as opposed to making "profit", which only enriches the few. I'd guarantee a job (a good job, not some min wage crap at the burger hut) for every American that wishes to work and earn a living. People generally do NOT want a hand-out, they want a JOB. Preferably one that pays the bills.

But what angers me the most is all the horror stories I read in this forum of how employers treat their employees - it's like they think of the lowly employee as a piece of chattel, rather than a real, live human being. The can fire people at the drop of a hat, for no reason whatsoever, and yet they make it damn near impossible to get a job - what with credit checks, past 10 years of work history, and don't forget to mention that "gap", or you'll be fired on your first day of work should they find out. Ugh, this makes me so mad and upset.

It's beyond clear that capitalism is an utter, complete failure, and it's time to do something drastically different in my beloved United States. It's time to give all the rights to the employees and strip the corporations of all the rights they clearly don't deserve. We need to impose high tariffs on ALL imports, to spur domestic production, we need to make ALL natural resources part of the "commons", which means all proceeds from the harvesting of natural resources go to benefit the public, rather than the elite few. In short, we need a leader like this dude: Huey Long - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If he had made it to President as opposed to being gunned down, I honestly believe we would be living in an age of peace and prosperity beyond our wildest dreams.

Today, employers have all the chips, and the employees have none. All of us need to band together and take back what's rightfully ours, the right to have a GOOD job, at GOOD pay, with GOOD benefits. Nothing less is acceptable. And I mean that, 100%.
I think it is beyond clear that the typical American household has been living dramatically beyond their means for years and it is finally catching up with them. You claim that you "don't want a handout, you want a job", but yet you created a post doing nothing but whine about employers not just giving you a job with great benefits.

Here is a hint about how management thinks: If you add value to the business, if you add to the goal of the business (adding value to shareholder's wealth), then you will NEVER be fired. If you want a job with good benefits, stop complaining and prove to your boss that you deserve it.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:35 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
At the end of the day aren't the bosses, hr, the CEO and all of the execs employees too?

Old 06-20-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
At the end of the day aren't the bosses, hr, the CEO and all of the execs employees too?
Yes. In a public company, everyone works for the shareholders in order to make them more money. That is the sole point of a public company.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:40 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Yes. In a public company, everyone works for the shareholders in order to make them more money. That is the sole point of a public company.
Actually, in business 101, you are taught that a business has two purposes. First one is profit for stakeholders. Second is to provide society with a product or service that gives value to society.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:43 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I dunno--I'm generally a business-minded person who doesn't expect anything more than a fair paycheck from my employer. But corporations don't play fair. If I screw up, I face the consequences. Corporations screw up, they get a handout. So, yeah, that disconnect between corporate behavior in the market place and monetary reward does make all the arguments for employers a bit hollow. At this point, I do often feel that it is employee versus employer.

It would definitely be in the employer's best interest to care about their employees or at least take some type of personal interest. Case in point: My employer is sitting on a gold mine of underutilized skill sets. The bottom line is this: If I didn't have to work so hard to protect my job; I would definitely DO a better job.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Actually, in business 101, you are taught that a business has two purposes. First one is profit for stakeholders. Second is to provide society with a product or service that gives value to society.
Giving society a valuable product doesn't matter if shareholders are making money.

What business 101 class ever taught that the product/service must give value to society? That is a means to the end goal of increasing shareholder wealth. It is not a goal in and of itself. If you want to benefit society, take your personal money and give it back.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:48 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
And who are the shareholders? Everyday people who invest in the market with their 401K's and their mutual funds. Employees are shareholders. Collectively, we have created the system we have demanded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment