Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 03:02 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times

Advertisements

1. Bring a justification why you are worth more money than others, for example, advanced degree, additional certifications.
2. Bring a copy of your current checkstub, this is verification if they are offering you less, usually HR wants a hard copy of your current earnings, and they will go above that depending on the job.
3. Discuss your qualifications, and what makes you worth x amount..you are job ready, you know the job, can hit the ground with your feet running, blah, blah...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 04:31 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,872,491 times
If I were the employer, my immediate response would be that we offered you what you asked for, why is that not satisfactory? And then I would want a response from you as to why. I'm not saying you shouldn't negotiate. I'm just pointing out what the employer's viewpoint is. IMO, explaining that you are an above-average applicant, etc, would not be a justifiable reason, as that should have been taken into consideration when you offered them your salary range in the first place. At this point, as a hiring manager, I would be expecting the response to be something more like the benefits aren't as rich or the responsibilities are greater than you first understood them to be.

Now, whether or not it's worth negotiating is another question. IMO, it depends on how much the salary is to begin with. No, I'm not asking you to post that here. I'm just saying you should think about it. If 2k on a 40k salary is probably worth haggling for. 2k on a 200k salary is pennies and really not worth quibbling over.

You should also take into consideration what their salary range is. If their salary range was slightly lower than what your range was, and they offered you near the top end of their budget is, then it's probably not likely that you will get them to go higher. And even if you do, you'll probably just see next year's raise to be less than it would have been otherwise because you've already pushed them to the ceiling.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:41 PM

994 posts, read 1,825,642 times
Thanks for all the advice but I think I will just take it. I really need to be grateful for it. I mean since December I have been searching for a job, was hired in one part-time job with crappy pay left that to go to the current job where the pay was better than the part-time but my boss is incompetent, no benefits, no salary and no potential to grow (about to right my resignation letter, thank God!).

So yeah I think this has everything I was looking for and I also think this will only make me work that much harder and motivate me more so that I can get a raise eventually and hopefully move up in the ranks.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:50 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,060,080 times
Personally I have always thought it worthwhile to say something if I feel the offer was less than I hoped for. I've had times where I got an increase and other where I didn't. I never had it be a negative though. I don't really think it is that shocking to companies if the employee asks for more. Maybe I have just been lucky.

I have been on the other end plenty of times as well from the hiring side. I don't ever remember a time where the company was "upset" about a request.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Personally I have always thought it worthwhile to say something if I feel the offer was less than I hoped for. I've had times where I got an increase and other where I didn't. I never had it be a negative though. I don't really think it is that shocking to companies if the employee asks for more. Maybe I have just been lucky.

I have been on the other end plenty of times as well from the hiring side. I don't ever remember a time where the company was "upset" about a request.
Yeah now I am reconsidering and I spoke to my mother and she said I should ask. She said it wouldn't hurt and it wouldn't be looked down upon.

The position required that the person have either an associates or bachelors. I have a bachelors, with 1.5 years in a Master's program but left my program halfway. I think I might use that as my main reason as my Master's was related to a certain extent to the industry that I will be working for in this position.

So I was basically afraid that it might look bad on my part, but it seems the advice has been that it won't hurt to ask. So I think I will give it a shot. Either way I am taking the job.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:38 AM

So I decided to take it as is. At this point I am just very happy to have recieved this job and don't want to risk anything that might make me look bad or be risky. I did some research on salary negotiations, and this is an entry level position, and from what I have gathered, usually there is not much room for negotiation when it comes to entry level.

Main reason I did it was because I will be reviewed after six months with a raise in consideration after those six months. So this will only motivate me more to prove myself and really standout as an employee. I am just happy that I got a job like I did and that it is a career path type of job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment