Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:11 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,956 times

Advertisements

Okay, so as some of you know I was offered a job last week. Today I officially received the offer letter, that included salary, benefits, paid holidays, paycheck schedule, etc. HR told me they would contact me tomorrow to go over everything in the letter.

So I am content with the salary I am being given, and it falls in the range that I gave them. However, I was hoping that it would 2k higher than it is. Is it worth negotiating or will it make me look bad? I am leaning in keeping it as is because it's a step up from where I am now and it's in the range I gave them.

Also, they do employee reviews every six months, in which possibly that is where raises take place. So there is also that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 02:05 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
You can ask, they will probably say no...no harm in asking though...
Salary negotiation is a whole different animal now...even for high paying jobs, there used to be alot of latitude, and discussion about perks, added vacation, moving expenses...forget it. Now, they tell you what they will pay, take it or leave it. Because if you don't want it...they have ten other people just as well qualified who will take it in a heartbeat.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:13 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
You can ask, they will probably say no...no harm in asking though...
Salary negotiation is a whole different animal now...even for high paying jobs, there used to be alot of latitude, and discussion about perks, added vacation, moving expenses...forget it. Now, they tell you what they will pay, take it or leave it. Because if you don't want it...they have ten other people just as well qualified who will take it in a heartbeat.
I don't necessarily agree with this in all cases, though I figure there is some truth to it.

I have an interview tomorrow, and if I am offered a position, I would like to hear some pointers on how to successfully negotiate for more money.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:55 PM

Well I am considering just taking it as is. For the following reason:

1) I really really am excited to work for this company and really see a possible career coming out of this. I don't want to do anything that might blow it.

2) I will be paid 3k more than I am now.

3) It comes with benefits, paid time off, paid holidays, etc., something that I don't have now at all. I have no benefits what so ever at my current job.

4) The potential to grow in this company is really really big and this is a lucrative field. So possibly now I am not getting paid what I want, but it is possible in the near future that things will go well.

So I just don't want to "blow it" by negotiating salary. I am afraid they might see it as a turn off and start to think that maybe I would start looking for a new job because the salary wasn't enough, which is not true.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I don't necessarily agree with this in all cases, though I figure there is some truth to it.

I have an interview tomorrow, and if I am offered a position, I would like to hear some pointers on how to successfully negotiate for more money.
BTW good luck on your interview. I will be typing up my resignation letter tonight for my current job and if I remember correctly you and I both had incompetent bosses, so can't wait to hand it to him. Can't wait to get out of here! Hopefully you will be getting a new job soon too!

Old 06-20-2011, 02:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,578 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I can speak about my employer. When I hire a new person I am allowed to offer any amount from starting to midpoint for the range. I give the amount to HR and when they make the offer, can negotiate up to that point based on what I tell them. If, for example, one candidate is clearly
well suited, and the rest are not even close, I might offer the top amount (midpoint) which means no negotiation. If there are 3-4 candidates all closely qualified, I might hold firm on a lower number knowing that if 1st
choice bails I have others to pick from. I don't do it so much to save money though it does come out of my budget. I do it to pay more for someone with better education/experience that doesn't require as much training.

My suggestion is that the OP ask the HR person if there is any room for negotiation.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Well I am considering just taking it as is. For the following reason:

1) I really really am excited to work for this company and really see a possible career coming out of this. I don't want to do anything that might blow it.

2) I will be paid 3k more than I am now.

3) It comes with benefits, paid time off, paid holidays, etc., something that I don't have now at all. I have no benefits what so ever at my current job.

4) The potential to grow in this company is really really big and this is a lucrative field. So possibly now I am not getting paid what I want, but it is possible in the near future that things will go well.

So I just don't want to "blow it" by negotiating salary. I am afraid they might see it as a turn off and start to think that maybe I would start looking for a new job because the salary wasn't enough, which is not true.
Good points. I will be in a similar situation if I am offered a position with this company I'm interviewing with tomorrow. Sometimes it's wiser to make small sacrifices now in order to get more out of it later. Like you, I'd probably just accept the salary they offer as long as it's close to what I'm making now.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
I can speak about my employer. When I hire a new person I am allowed to offer any amount from starting to midpoint for the range. I give the amount to HR and when they make the offer, can negotiate up to that point based on what I tell them. If, for example, one candidate is clearly
well suited, and the rest are not even close, I might offer the top amount (midpoint) which means no negotiation. If there are 3-4 candidates all closely qualified, I might hold firm on a lower number knowing that if 1st
choice bails I have others to pick from. I don't do it so much to save money though it does come out of my budget. I do it to pay more for someone with better education/experience that doesn't require as much training.

My suggestion is that the OP ask the HR person if there is any room for negotiation.
Thanks for the advice!

Old 06-20-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
BTW good luck on your interview. I will be typing up my resignation letter tonight for my current job and if I remember correctly you and I both had incompetent bosses, so can't wait to hand it to him. Can't wait to get out of here! Hopefully you will be getting a new job soon too!
Thanks, buddy!

PS, I couldn't rep you

Old 06-20-2011, 03:01 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
Anytime you want to negotiate for more money, you have to provide more justification than "would prefer to have more." Unless you already agreed to take the offer, you can always indicate that you have other offers you are considering, that you are on the fence but they could really seal the deal if they just upped the offer by 2k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment