Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 10:56 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,167,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I love plumbers and electricians. I was just at the home depot tonight to figure out how to fix my leaky bath faucet. I went down there with my iphone, a wonderful employee showed me the parts I needed, how they go together (with an actual demo) and I recorded the whole thing on my phone. Leaky faucet is gone!

I would not listen to the employees in regards to electrical work. My husband has heard them (employees of the home improvement stores) give people incorrect information about a problem/fix/redo in regards to electrical many times. ..to the point if they had done what the employee said they were at great risk of being electrocuted or catching something on fire...or both. When it comes to electricity it really is best to call someone who knows what they are doing vs possibly seriously injuring/killing yourself or damaging/destroying your home/business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I don't care if they do. A rocket scientist could did ditches for his job. In the end it still doesn't take any skill and anyone could do it.

As I said please be sure to relay your thoughts about these guys/girls next time you have to call one to your home/business. I am positive they will give a excellent deal for your attitude...plus a service call charge

Old 08-11-2011, 06:58 AM

19,045 posts, read 25,122,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I would not listen to the employees in regards to electrical work. My husband has heard them (employees of the home improvement stores) give people incorrect information about a problem/fix/redo in regards to electrical many times. ..to the point if they had done what the employee said they were at great risk of being electrocuted or catching something on fire...or both. When it comes to electricity it really is best to call someone who knows what they are doing vs possibly seriously injuring/killing yourself or damaging/destroying your home/business.
For the light electrical work I do, like installing fixtures, I find the fixture instructions and youtube to be more helpful. Electricians are expensive to hire. The stuff I do is pretty straight forward, tho. I've replaced three outdoor sconces so far and it wasn't a big deal. I have a ceiling fan for my bedroom, and that will be more of challenge. I might call someone for that, but it will depend on what I find in the ceiling.

But, the guy I talked to last night about the leaky faucet was just great. The whole thing took me about 15 minutes. All I needed to do was replace a spindle. I'm glad I did it because anything involving the plumbing has always freaked me out. So, I feel a bit better about it.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
For the light electrical work I do, like installing fixtures, I find the fixture instructions and youtube to be more helpful. Electricians are expensive to hire. The stuff I do is pretty straight forward, tho. I've replaced three outdoor sconces so far and it wasn't a big deal. I have a ceiling fan for my bedroom, and that will be more of challenge. I might call someone for that, but it will depend on what I find in the ceiling.

But, the guy I talked to last night about the leaky faucet was just great. The whole thing took me about 15 minutes. All I needed to do was replace a spindle. I'm glad I did it because anything involving the plumbing has always freaked me out. So, I feel a bit better about it.
Yes electricians are expensive to hire but better to hire one than to cause yourself harm or cause damage to your home.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
As I said please be sure to relay your thoughts about these guys/girls next time you have to call one to your home/business. I am positive they will give a excellent deal for your attitude...plus a service call charge
Doing electrical work is a skilled trade. It requires knowledge and training (practice). Even tho those in the skilled trades may contend with manual labor at times, they probably don't require any in depth training to dig the actual hole or whatever. That's how I understand his point at least.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Yes electricians are expensive to hire but better to hire one than to cause yourself harm or cause damage to your home.
Well, for the stuff I do it does't seem necessary. When I'm unsure about something I definitely seek out help.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:01 PM

29,645 posts, read 24,674,261 times
Quote:
I don't care if they do. A rocket scientist could did ditches for his job. In the end it still doesn't take any skill and anyone could do it.
What difference does it make, it's a job, and one that pays well. You ever try to get a contractor to come out and dig a hole in your yard??? It ain't cheap! And since nobody want's to dig holes for a living, they don't have to follow this country in the race to the bottom because of less competition. If you ask me, they are the smart ones

Old 08-11-2011, 05:49 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,486,199 times
Quote:
Doing electrical work is a skilled trade. It requires knowledge and training (practice). Even tho those in the skilled trades may contend with manual labor at times, they probably don't require any in depth training to dig the actual hole or whatever. That's how I understand his point at least.
Exactly. I never brought up people that might dig a hole as a small part of their job. It's the typical start another debate when you realize your initial comment didn't make much sense.

Anyone can be a garbage man. No skill is required. Why the reality of that is insulting is beyond me.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:41 PM

12,101 posts, read 16,994,987 times
Quote:

Anyone can be a garbage man. No skill is required. Why the reality of that is insulting is beyond me.
That is many jobs, white collar jobs included.

To get my job, the minimum is a bachelors in hard sciences. But anybody could do it. That goes for many of the jobs that I've had. For any intelligent, semi-educated person, I could take them and train them to do my job in a week flat. Some of the other jobs I've had, it would take a little longer, but no more than a few weeks. It helps to have some knowledge of chemistry, including pH, and chemical reactions, but it's nothing a semi-intelligent person couldn't learn over Wikipedia in a few days. Nothing I learned in Organic Chemistry is ever used at my job. Big surprise...

I've had this discussion with friends of mine who work on Wall Street, as lawyers, as pharmacists, and as bankers. We all make varying degrees of $, and basically agreed that we could all do each others' jobs given some minimum training. It's just they way most conventional jobs are.

On the other hand, consider...

I've been playing the guitar for over 15 years. It would take anybody who has no musical training MANY years of dedicated training to be even close to my level. I couldn't even come close to making any kind of a living doing that. I could maybe clear $20K a year. Yet, somebody is willing to pay me almost three times that amount for a job where I could take somebody off the street and teach them to do it by next Wednesday.

Wacky...

Old 08-12-2011, 09:26 AM

87 posts, read 136,025 times
B.A. - Economics
M.B.A.

Currently the CFO for an e-commerce business. Prior to that, Director of Finance for a division in the field of Psychological Research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment