Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 11:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret4777 View Post
Your friend has a JD/MBA from an Ivy League university and only makes $42,000 a year?!??!?! That must be a typo.
Unfortunately it's far more of a reality than many would like to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I once had a supervisor who worked her way up, she did not have a college degree. She preferred people around her who also did not have college degrees. She promoted people, to supervisory positions, who were only HS graduates, if that. I saw the "trend", and left. Never looked back, best move I ever made. She viewed all people with a college degree as coming from rich families, who paid for their kids college. I worked thru college, and had tuition reimbursement, plus a grant.
That's pretty narrow minded. I hire the best person for the job, regardless of their educational background, unless the job requires a certain educational background--a CPA for example. I think it's equally short-sighted to discount anyone with a degree as it is to think that anyone without a degree isn't qualified to do anything more than work at McDonalds.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:23 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Raw employment and salary data don't tell the whole story. Especially when you're lumping those who graduated high school but chose to work as a school bus driver so they could be home with their kids over school vacations in with those who graduated high school and went on to executive careers.
You have an excuse for everything but no data to back it up. There are plenty that go to college and stay home with kids for a while.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:23 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I once had a supervisor who worked her way up, she did not have a college degree. She preferred people around her who also did not have college degrees. She promoted people, to supervisory positions, who were only HS graduates, if that. I saw the "trend", and left. Never looked back, best move I ever made. She viewed all people with a college degree as coming from rich families, who paid for their kids college. I worked thru college, and had tuition reimbursement, plus a grant.

I think the snobbery comes from both sides. A lot of people with college degrees think they are too good to work physical, manual labor (not all but a lot) and that anyone without a college degree is stupid. While people without a college degree often think those with are uppity, spoiled, entitled etc (not all but a lot).

I myself would have to say I try my best to look at the person and their drive and work ethic. I have found in the people that I hire the ones with an hs diploma have drive. I have found that the people I have hired with college degrees seem to think they should be entitled to special treatment due to having an expensive piece of paper. There are obviously always exceptions to this.

IMO college doesn't make you smarter or a better person...it means you went to school and usually paid a lot of money and got a degree in whatever and that's it. It means you have book smarts (and hopefully common sense to go with but not always) No more no less.

IMO not going to college doesn't make you stupid, nor does it make you worthless, lazy etc. (Again hopefully the persn has common sense)

I have always remembered what my father taught me in terms of looking at education. My father had a third grade education, he did/does not have "book smarts" but he went to work (at age 5...yes for real) and worked his rear off for 43 yrs. He is positively one of the smartest men most people will ever meet.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:25 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I think the snobbery comes from both sides. A lot of people with college degrees think they are too good to work physical, manual labor (not all but a lot) and that anyone without a college degree is stupid. While people without a college degree often think those with are uppity, spoiled, entitled etc (not all but a lot).

I myself would have to say I try my best to look at the person and their drive. I have found in the people that I hire that the ones with an hs diploma have drive. I have found that the people I have hired with college degrees seem to think they should be entitled to special treatment due to having an expensive piece of paper. There are obviously always exceptions to this.

IMO college doesn't make you smarter or a better person...it means you went to school and usually paid a lot of money and got a degree in whatever and that's it. It means you have book smarts (and hopefully common sense to go with but not always) No more no less.

IMO not going to college doesn't make you stupid, nor does it make you worthless, lazy etc. (Again hopefully the persn has common sense)

I have always remembered what my father taught me in terms of looking at education. My father had a third grade education, he did/does not have book smarts but he went to work (at age 5...yes for real) and worked his rear off for 43 yrs. He is positively one of the smartest men most people will ever meet. Now most people especially in this day and age would see someone with a third grade education and think that person is stupid, instead of taking a moment to get past what's on paper and get to know them and their work ethic.

You know that is kind of the idea of getting a degree and working in a job that requires one. That doesn't mean you haven't interviewed people who are average workers who went to college and shouldn't have.

Who said not going to college means you are stupid. It apparently does mean based on this thread that you can't differentiate between specific examples and large groups of data.

The employment FACTS are simple. On AVERAGE if you go to college you will be more successful and make more money.

Just in case since it's lost on some of you.
Quote:
a single value (as a mean, mode, or median) that summarizes or represents the general significance of a set of unequal values

Old 08-08-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You know that is kind of the idea of getting a degree and working in a job that requires one.
If you can find a job in your field and pay off those student loans. Many recent college grads are whining they can't get jobs, but refuse to do manual labor because they're above it.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:46 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,851 times
Quote:
If you can find a job in your field and pay off those student loans. Many recent college grads are whining they can't get jobs, but refuse to do manual labor because they're above it.

Very true. The last person I hired with a college degree had this attitude and what we do here isn't even manual labor...this person was not someone fresh out of college either (the preson was in their 50's) Needless to say this person didn't last long.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:39 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
The employment FACTS are simple. On AVERAGE if you go to college you will be more successful and make more money.
But we've had this discussion before. Is it because the paper makes them better off, or is it because, on average, college graduates are smart even without the degree? Everyone with a brain goes to college now, of course their going to be more successful as a group.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:08 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
But we've had this discussion before. Is it because the paper makes them better off, or is it because, on average, college graduates are smart even without the degree? Everyone with a brain goes to college now, of course their going to be more successful as a group.
I don't think graduation rates have changed much. Everyone with a brain might enter college, but not everybody graduates. I think graduation rates for undergrad is around 60-65%. Roughly 30% of the population has an undergrad. Based on what I'm reading here, that number has gone down a bit (27.5%). "This 27 percent puts people at a disadvantage compared to other industrialized countries, such as Netherlands and Finland, where the percentage of people who have a degree is much higher--34 and 40 percent, respectively."

e
ta: for my own personal anecdote, I'm simply smarter (analytical skills, level of knowledge, discipline, etc) for having obtained an education. But, I was very uneducated to begin with. I'm sure my background isn't common.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:28 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Unfortunately it's far more of a reality than many would like to think.
The undergrad degree is from an Ivy League. The JD/MBA is from somewhere else, but still a decent school.

He will eventually make good $, but for now, good law jobs are hard to find.

Yea. If he had the JD/MBA from Harvard, he'd be rolling in dough. That is a reality times ten.

I don't disagree with everything Gatornation implies. Education to an extent can earn one a lot more income.

I just think the extent to which he takes it is exaggerated. A bachelors degree from a Top 50 school is not that much of an accomplishment and won't get you that far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment