U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 02:59 PM

5,431 posts, read 8,145,995 times

Advertisements

My friend doesn't have a college degree, so I'm trying to think of something she can get into that pays pretty well, but you're not in college/training for long. The thought of a mailman came to mind a while back.

How hard is the exam & what things do you have to do exactly? From start to finish, how long would it take comeone to become one?

(BTW, no one say real estate. That's not my friend's thing.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 03:50 PM

4,891 posts, read 9,299,374 times
I don't think the USPS is taking on new employees.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:00 PM

15,726 posts, read 26,757,800 times
It is a dying industry as far as I can see. In our area they are consolidating offices.

Another company that has consolidated offices is Southern California Gas Company. They used to have a big payment office in Oxnard, CA. Now they have a 2 person office with a 24 hour computer station that you can pay at.

I would say that with more and more people doing things online the need for some jobs is diminishing.

Why not look at other kind of companies that work online. Affiliate marketing is one that doesn't take a lot of education and you can be up and running in a short time.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:31 PM

13,980 posts, read 10,920,048 times
With the massive state and federal budget cuts that are coming now and the already dismally eroded state of the postal service in the face of private competition and internet usage, I'd say this is about the worst time anyone could consider getting into this line of work.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,762 posts, read 54,408,375 times
I agree with the others, they are talking about eliminating Saturday service so many more would be losing their jobs, and they have already gone to
gang boxes and car routes to reduce the number of carriers. They usually hire only temporary relief carriers, and only a few of those.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:57 AM

12,291 posts, read 15,187,836 times
It is like the toll collectors on turnpikes. Their numbers are steadily decreasing but they will hire temporaries from time to time to relieve shortages.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:51 AM

12,265 posts, read 18,397,848 times
The government exams are very easy, have to be an idiot to fail. But that's not the issue. The issue is that
1.) Priority is given to veterans, etc. Have you ever seen a kid out of high school or college as a mailman?
2.) As pointed out, it's a dying industry. They aren't immune to layoffs.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:56 AM

123 posts, read 220,448 times
USPS may not be hiring, but what about UPS and FedEx. But I think that the latter two require their mailmen/women to be able to lift heavy objects. Can your friend do it?

Old 06-23-2011, 11:50 AM

4,345 posts, read 7,420,095 times
I was curious, so I just went to the USPS website, clicked on the "careers" tab, and did a search for mail delivery jobs in California. Every single position (and there weren't very many, when you consider how huge CA is) said "temporary relief" for its status. IOW, no permanent, full-time mail carrier positions are open in CA right now, based on what it says on the USPS website.

I think your friend will probably have to find something else. A PP mentioned UPS or FedEx. I worked at UPS when I was in college, and unless things have changed, almost all of their positions were part-time casual, with no benefits. I was working 15 hrs./week as a sorter in one of their distribution centers. I'm not sure how to get into management there.

You mentioned that your friend is a female, so this may not be her thing either, but getting a commercial drivers license doesn't take all that much training, and truck drivers can make pretty good money for not having to go to college.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:14 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,378,459 times
That has been the norm for the USPS for several years, the only new hiring done is for the temporary "casual" employee. People generally don't get hired as full-time regular employees in the Post Office [at least, not as carriers or clerks.] In the old days, they'd start out as a casual, then become a part-time flexible if they were lucky, and then if they were extremely lucky and had been around long enough, they'd make full time regular and have the typical 40 hour week with good pay and benefits. This process usually took years unless you had an unusual situation.

The issue these days is that generally people are not going to ever attain full time regular status or probably even part time flexible status. It is still a good option for people who want to make extra money and are willing to work varying hours and shifts, but the odds of making it a "real" career are pretty much non-existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment