Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:05 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
Hello,

I was wondering if there are any IT people out there who have an opinion on this. What city do you think is best for IT jobs? I am in the Cleveland area and it is really, really bad for IT jobs. I am thinking about relocating and I have been looking at many rankings but it is so difficult to rely on those. Hope to hear from people soon!!
What specific area of IT are you in? I would do a search on Indeed.com and see which cities come up with the most jobs that match your search criteria. Also keep in mind that many of the cities that are good for IT (DC, New York, San Jose, Seattle, etc.) have a high cost of living and the salaries don't always make up for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 08:36 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,998 times
Also try Dice.com.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:52 PM

753 posts, read 1,482,611 times
Default Definitely Dallas!

We just moved to Dallas (from Houston) for my husband's IT jobs. He still gets lots of offers here all the time, too. Explore the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Great place to live also.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:49 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Kuwait, Muscat, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Doha, Riyadh - those cities are hiring a good number of MIS professionals.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 06-29-2011 at 09:06 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Kuwait, Muscat, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Doha, Riyadh - those cities are hiring a good number of MIS professionals.
Why would you go there for MIS? The US has an MIS shortage...

Old 06-29-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Why would you go there for MIS? The US has an MIS shortage...
They pay first world wages, expat housing, club membership and private school (for kids) benefits. Not a lot of history of layoffs. Work hours are also less.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
They pay first world wages, expat housing, club membership and private school (for kids) benefits. Not a lot of history of layoffs. Work hours are also less.
In MIS you can have all that here (except private school)... and not have to live in a muslim country.... I think that benefit trumps it all.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:42 AM

/\/\

Even the paid housing, chauffeur, nannies for the kids, hiring of mid-career/middle aged workers? I haven't seen that in my industry. Private school is a big thing as well. There is still talk about layoffs and jobs to be outsourced to Perot and Wipro, and people currently work 80+ hours per week, which drives down the effective wage. Even if what you say about current MIS demand in the US is true, it's still very cyclical (as are most US jobs). In the places I mentioned, demand has been pretty stable over decades and there is almost no history of mass layoffs and MIS workers being displaced. Maybe it's just anecdotal but I'm not the only one who's seeing it happen. I don't see anything wrong with working in a Muslim country, if the price is right given the alternatives.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
/\/\

Even the paid housing, chauffeur, nannies for the kids, hiring of mid-career/middle aged workers? I haven't seen that in my industry. Private school is a big thing as well. There is still talk about layoffs and jobs to be outsourced to Perot and Wipro, and people currently work 80+ hours per week, which drives down the effective wage. Even if what you say about current MIS demand in the US is true, it's still very cyclical (as are most US jobs). In the places I mentioned, demand has been pretty stable over decades and there is almost no history of mass layoffs and MIS workers being displaced. Maybe it's just anecdotal but I'm not the only one who's seeing it happen. I don't see anything wrong with working in a Muslim country, if the price is right given the alternatives.
MIS being outsourced? There's no threat of MIS being outsourced. Its IT and IS that are being outsourced. MIS market is very healthy in the US and the pay is excellent ($140k), which is enough to live a good enough life to where living in a Muslim country would be silly. And I'm not knocking on the religion, but these countries cannot match in the level of freedom here in America.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
MIS being outsourced? There's no threat of MIS being outsourced. Its IT and IS that are being outsourced. MIS market is very healthy in the US and the pay is excellent ($140k), which is enough to live a good enough life to where living in a Muslim country would be silly. And I'm not knocking on the religion, but these countries cannot match in the level of freedom here in America.
MIS is being outsourced. In our company of 40K employees, only the CIO and 10 VPs/AVPs are internal employees. Everyone else works for Perot or Accenture and they work onsite as contractors doing ERP, business process analysis, database management and so on. It's not just the systems programmers and it's still tough for mid-age/career people out of work to break into. MIS outsourcing does happen.

Now we are talking about different things. You are referring to what is supposedly a "strong job market". I am talking about people who either cannot find work or are not satisfied with how much they are being compensated, as well as the cyclicality of jobs in the US. Anywhere they go, they are only as free as far as they are able to earn a paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment