Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:27 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,214 times

Advertisements

I just saw the "do looks matter in sales?" thread, which inspired me to post this one. I have always had a bit of a weight fluctuation problem, partly due to medications I've been on. I've been as little as 120 pounds back in high school, all the way to 200 pounds in college. Right now I am a size 16 and although I'm planning on starting a weight-loss regimen pretty soon, I am currently pretty content with my body.

I just graduated college and am in the process of applying for my first "real" writing-related job. My parents are convinced that being this weight will make it VERY hard, if not impossible to secure any professional-level job and I think they are being slightly ridiculous. I know how to do my hair and makeup and present myself professionally and I really don't think the first thing the interviewer is going to think is "WOW, that girl's fat."

They are hard-bent on this and have talked to me about it several times. They tell me that they don't understand how I'm not concerned. I know I need to lose some weight to be healthy, but I really don't think this issue (at my current weight) is a job deal breaker. Since I will be applying to writing jobs, I would think the most significant thing would be whether or not I can write. They also don't understand that constantly telling me that an interviewer is going to find me too fat to hire could really affect my confidence once I actually start having interviews.

So, my question to all of you is do you think weight plays an important role in whether or not someone is hired?

Last edited by CoolSocks; 06-28-2011 at 10:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 10:39 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
Well there are some statistics that indicate that appearance is a factor in hiring. But weight is only one of those factors. Beauty, confidence, body language, dress, etc. are all part of the influence of appearance. Appearance, in turn, is only one factor in the hiring decision. Intelligence, wit, experience, etc., all play a part as well (and statistically, these are a greater part).

Also, statistically the average woman is a size 14 (I'm assuming you are a woman, based on the size numbers you are using). So that puts you only slightly above average in the total population. You shouldnt' assume that you will be the only fat applicant, let alone the fattest. Or that the interviewer won't be fat as well. Obviously fat people have jobs, many of them good jobs. Therefore it clearly isn't such an overwhelming factor as to exclude all fat applicants.

Tell your parents to shut the **** up. Parents are supposed to be supportive, not destructive.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:39 PM

84 posts, read 175,674 times
I wouldn't say it plays an important role really, but it could play a small role if a lot of people are as well qualified as you are. Everyone likes to say looks don't matter, but we're living in reality here and it can be harsh sometimes.

I've worked for a few smaller companies in the past (15 or less employees) and the people doing the hiring could be pretty crass and unprofessional at times regarding looks of the candidates, especially women. I wasn't a fan of it, but it is a reality. I even had one of the women tell me when I got a job once (I'm a guy) "I'm surprised (insert sexist company CEO here) actually hired you since you aren't a cute blonde that wore a miniskirt to the interview". Needless to say I wasn't around there long, as that kind of unprofessional attitude seeped into many other aspects of the company culture as well.

I'd say you wouldn't want to work for a company that takes looks into account though, and eventually you will find a job that's right for you no matter how you look as long as you present yourself well and are qualified. Don't stress about it.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:52 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille1984 View Post
I wouldn't say it plays an important role really, but it could play a small role if a lot of people are as well qualified as you are. Everyone likes to say looks don't matter, but we're living in reality here and it can be harsh sometimes.

I've worked for a few smaller companies in the past (15 or less employees) and the people doing the hiring could be pretty crass and unprofessional at times regarding looks of the candidates, especially women. I wasn't a fan of it, but it is a reality. I even had one of the women tell me when I got a job once (I'm a guy) "I'm surprised (insert sexist company CEO here) actually hired you since you aren't a cute blonde that wore a miniskirt to the interview". Needless to say I wasn't around there long, as that kind of unprofessional attitude seeped into many other aspects of the company culture as well.

I'd say you wouldn't want to work for a company that takes looks into account though, and eventually you will find a job that's right for you no matter how you look as long as you present yourself well and are qualified. Don't stress about it.
I agree that the average woman walking on the sidewalk may be a size 14. However, there are extremely few size 14 woman in a professional capacity working in my company, a 4000 person tech firm. I have yet to meet a size 14 woman in a tech sales capacity sent out to sell, or to present her company's products. If you go to a professional trade show, you will note there are no size 14 women representing their company's products at booths.
It appears that looks count, and being overweight these days is like being a smoker or drunk driver. Goes against the corporate etiquette, and does not represent the company well.

So, as always, it comes down to a sampling issue. If you want to be integrated into a professional environment, it is a hard fit if you are the only heavy woman. It makes people downright uncomfortable. If you want to be right at home among the people walking around on the sidewalk, not so much. But that's not your objective: your objective is to land, and keep, a job.

I've found that it is a slippery slope when you start hiding under the umbrella of other people's stats. As in, "Rosie is always half an hour late. I think I'm safe in coming in 15 minutes late". Or, in this case, "The average woman is heavy. Therefore, I am justified in being heavy." Over time, this habit of mind leads you into bad choices that have bad outcomes.

So, I will agree with your parents. Particularly in this economy, when it is incredibly difficult to land those first jobs. Don't give "them" an excuse to throw you into the 'reject' bin. It's hard enough without shooting your own self in the foot.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:04 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,337 times
The skinnier you are, the harder it is.

My neighbor has a little bit on his bones and gets jobs much faster.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:02 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I am a woman, size 18. I have had many professional jobs, and most of my interviews have been phone interviews, no problem. As for in person, I have plenty of confidence in my skills, that I am the best person to hire, and that comes through, so I havenot had problems with obtaining employment.

However, I do believe on the job, wieght is an issue, I believe I am percieved as a person who does excellent work, but not one to be promoted based on my work. I know I have been discriminated against because of my wieght.

We did have an intern who was not only fat, but also unattractive, her hair was not done professionally, she had uni-brow, she needed major face waxing, make-up, her clothes were from K-Mart...she was not hired primarily becasue of her image.

I may be size 18, but I look good. Well groomed, expensive suits, make-up, jewelry. I project a very competent image.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:04 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
So, my question to all of you is do you think weight plays an important role in whether or not someone is hired?
You tell me what "important" means, and I'll tell you whether I think it plays a role.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:06 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I am a woman, size 18. I have had many professional jobs, and most of my interviews have been phone interviews, no problem. As for in person, I have plenty of confidence in my skills, that I am the best person to hire, and that comes through, so I havenot had problems with obtaining employment.

However, I do believe on the job, wieght is an issue, I believe I am percieved as a person who does excellent work, but not one to be promoted based on my work. I know I have been discriminated against because of my wieght.

We did have an intern who was not only fat, but also unattractive, her hair was not done professionally, she had uni-brow, she needed major face waxing, make-up, her clothes were from K-Mart...she was not hired primarily becasue of her image.

I may be size 18, but I look good. Well groomed, expensive suits, make-up, jewelry. I project a very competent image.

So an intern with no stipend can be judged on that?

Wow.

I guess interns need to have a Macy's level salary.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:06 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
Yes, I think it does, though the extent to which it plays a role can vary depending on your field and how much appearance is a function of your job. I work in IT so I don't have to worry too much about how I look since I don't have to deal with customers. But try to look at it from the hiring manager's perspective. He has a ton of applicants and has probably interviewed more people than he can remember. When he thinks back to you, do you really want him to remember you as "the fat girl"? No, because fat in our culture is a negative term so now he's going to associate you with something negative, even though it has nothing to do with your qualifications. It's like if I showed up with bad acne. My skin has nothing to do with my job, but because the manager who interviewed me is going to remember me more for my bad skin, that'll make him less inclined to want to hire me. I don't think it's fair to penalize people for their looks. But in today's market where you could be competing with hundreds, even thousands of other people, you have to be aware of the potential that looks can play. First impressions are a big deal and you want yours to be the best you can make it. The reality is that a lot of managers are quick to make assumptions about a person based just on their appearance. As a culture, when we see someone who's overweight, we think the person is lazy. So if you're giving a potential employer the impression that you're lazy (even if it's completely opposite to the truth), that's not a good thing.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:11 AM

21,872 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Depends on the writing job. In something like PR or journalism, I think you'd find it difficult. When was the last time you saw a fat female journalist? It's not as bad as the TV side (ask Candy Crawford about whether weight matters) but its still there. For technical publications or copy editor, I doubt it would matter any more than any other job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment