Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe there are a lot of nursing jobs?
No 80 71.43%
Yes 32 28.57%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 04:11 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times

Advertisements

This thread could be for ANY profession now, jobs are not easy to find. And the demands are greater. I used to teach school, and LOVED my job, never had a problem finding employment, always made good money, with excellent benefits. People are always putting down teaching as a career, stating the pay is low, with crap benefits. And that it is hard to find a job teaching...

Nope. That was not my experience at all. And I would not discourage anyone who really wants to teach from getting a degree in teaching. But, as with any career, the cream will rise to the top, and there will always be people who see things as half full, and those who see it as half empty.

Some people who get a degree in nursing will find great jobs, and enjoy their work. They will never have a problem finding employment, and have excellent pay, with good benefits. And some people with a degree in nursing, will only be able to find low paying jobs, if any jobs at all, and will work with others who hate their jobs, because they did not get the job they wanted.

I worked with a nurse, who had a negative attitude about the low paying jobs, and that it was hard for her to get a job..well, MAYBE if she did not have to go to a drug diversion program, it would have been better for her!!! The fact that I found a job for her at all was amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 07:48 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This thread could be for ANY profession now, jobs are not easy to find. And the demands are greater. I used to teach school, and LOVED my job, never had a problem finding employment, always made good money, with excellent benefits. People are always putting down teaching as a career, stating the pay is low, with crap benefits. And that it is hard to find a job teaching...

Nope. That was not my experience at all. And I would not discourage anyone who really wants to teach from getting a degree in teaching. But, as with any career, the cream will rise to the top, and there will always be people who see things as half full, and those who see it as half empty.

Some people who get a degree in nursing will find great jobs, and enjoy their work. They will never have a problem finding employment, and have excellent pay, with good benefits. And some people with a degree in nursing, will only be able to find low paying jobs, if any jobs at all, and will work with others who hate their jobs, because they did not get the job they wanted.

I worked with a nurse, who had a negative attitude about the low paying jobs, and that it was hard for her to get a job..well, MAYBE if she did not have to go to a drug diversion program, it would have been better for her!!! The fact that I found a job for her at all was amazing.
Well said. Successful and talented people will succeed in most fields they enter. It seems like nursing used to be a field in such demand that a lot of people could get in as one.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:01 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
With the hundreds of billions of dollars of Medicare and Medicaid cuts on the table during these debt ceiling negotiations, I don't think the job climate for any health care worker will be particularly good, especially those staffed by hospitals. The struggling hospitals will simply close and others will renegotiate union contracts and conduct layoffs if necessary.

People tend to have this fantasy that we can control costs by the billions without any layoffs. Non-physician labor is still the most expensive part of health care. A surgeon gets only $1000 in a $30,000 surgery reimbursed by Medicare.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
With the hundreds of billions of dollars of Medicare and Medicaid cuts on the table during these debt ceiling negotiations, I don't think the job climate for any health care worker will be particularly good, especially those staffed by hospitals. The struggling hospitals will simply close and others will renegotiate union contracts and conduct layoffs if necessary.

People tend to have this fantasy that we can control costs by the billions without any layoffs. Non-physician labor is still the most expensive part of health care. A surgeon gets only $1000 in a $30,000 surgery reimbursed by Medicare.
People aren't just going to be left to die. Sure there will be cuts but family members of baby boomers will just have to keep working to pay for costs.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I work in healthcare, and don't feel like my job is going away any time. I don't do nursing, I provide education on how to use medical equipment, which is more complicated, and computerized. Staff needs training on new devices, and patients need education on devices prescribed, with follow up care in their home. Home health care is booming. Especially with hospitals cutting costs, they send patients home sooner, with advanced medical devices to monitor their status, using tele-health.

Believe me, if you know nursing, and are good with electronics and computers, name your price!

Old 07-24-2011, 05:56 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
People aren't just going to be left to die. Sure there will be cuts but family members of baby boomers will just have to keep working to pay for costs.
Wanna bet? What happens when the family is struggling to pay their own bills? What happens when most jobs that would allow them to contribute to the expenses don't exist?

When looking at government programs, remember one thing... 50% of American's don't earn enough to pay federal taxes. Yea, I think some elders are going to be left to die because there may not be any viable alternative.

I have already seen some drastic cuts made towards the funding of community health and other programs. Once more boomers hit the system, I think some nasty cuts are going to be in order there as well. I wouldn't look to the government to extend your life during times like these, or as long as the debt situation is spiraling out of control. Like it or not, a human life is an expendable commodity, and a potentially burdensome one in the eyes of a broke government.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Wanna bet? What happens when the family is struggling to pay their own bills? What happens when most jobs that would allow them to contribute to the expenses don't exist?

When looking at government programs, remember one thing... 50% of American's don't earn enough to pay federal taxes. Yea, I think some elders are going to be left to die because there may not be any viable alternative.

I have already seen some drastic cuts made towards the funding of community health and other programs. Once more boomers hit the system, I think some nasty cuts are going to be in order there as well. I wouldn't look to the government to extend your life during times like these, or as long as the debt situation is spiraling out of control. Like it or not, a human life is an expendable commodity, and a potentially burdensome one in the eyes of a broke government.
Not happening to the point healthcare jobs are going away anytime soon.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:37 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Not happening to the point healthcare jobs are going away anytime soon.
Plenty of nurses have been laid off. Aside from that, everyone says that nursing will be in demand once the boomers are enrolled in medicare... I hope they are properly cared for, and our system doesn't turn to the Canadian, hurry up and die system. I just don't think our model will be sustainable. Of course, not having the money has never stopped this country from destructive spending, so we'll see.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:29 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
I've been a nurse for 7 years. The reason I think a lot of new nurses(and old ones too) are having trouble finding jobs is because you have to look elsewhere besides the hospitals. The biggest need for nurses are in ltc but guess what? Nobody really wants to work there.

Also,I'm really sick of this mentality"don't do nursing for the money,do it because its in your heart" crap. Pure utter crap I may add. Does anyone EVER question other professions about the reason they are there? Has anyone ever asked the janitor if cleaning is in his heart?Would you still be a nurse if it paid minimun wage? Hmm,I think most would not. We nurses have financial obligations like everyone else. So what if it isn't in the heart,as long as you do your job as best you can,and you went into nursing for the money,who cares? If you guys didn't know,money is a great motivator for doing a good job. There would be more crappy nurses if we made 8 dollars an hour,know why? As much as its in our hearts to be caring,we still got to pay bills.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:38 AM

364 posts, read 1,080,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I've been a nurse for 7 years. The reason I think a lot of new nurses(and old ones too) are having trouble finding jobs is because you have to look elsewhere besides the hospitals. The biggest need for nurses are in ltc but guess what? Nobody really wants to work there.

Also,I'm really sick of this mentality"don't do nursing for the money,do it because its in your heart" crap. Pure utter crap I may add. Does anyone EVER question other professions about the reason they are there? Has anyone ever asked the janitor if cleaning is in his heart?Would you still be a nurse if it paid minimun wage? Hmm,I think most would not. We nurses have financial obligations like everyone else. So what if it isn't in the heart,as long as you do your job as best you can,and you went into nursing for the money,who cares? If you guys didn't know,money is a great motivator for doing a good job. There would be more crappy nurses if we made 8 dollars an hour,know why? As much as its in our hearts to be caring,we still got to pay bills.
Agreed. It's bad enough people make crap pay in this country. Sometimes you have to become a nurse to make enough money to survive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment