U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 10:41 PM

6,252 posts, read 15,670,392 times

Advertisements

This is a situation that a friend of mine is in here in California. An "outside consultant" has been hired to look at various ways to save money at the company.

All of a sudden, a bunch of new people are being hired at half the wages and no benefits. Management seems to be expecting the existing employees to happily cross train these people, even though it's obvious to anyone with eyes that once the new employees are in place the old employees will be booted out. This is a non-union company.

Does anyone here know anything about employee rights, i.e. is it possible for an employee to refuse to train someone else? If they do refuse, and end up being fired, would they have a viable lawsuit against the former employer?

I think my friend should consult with a labor attorney, but I just wondered if anyone here had any generic info, or if you've gone through the same thing, etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 11:51 PM

24,497 posts, read 36,152,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Does anyone here know anything about employee rights, i.e. is it possible for an employee to refuse to train someone else?
Yes its possible. Don't expect a good outcome.
Quote:

If they do refuse, and end up being fired, would they have a viable lawsuit against the former employer?
No. Employer requested an employee to do a task and employee refused. That is as legitimate as you can get for termination.
Quote:

I think my friend should consult with a labor attorney, but I just wondered if anyone here had any generic info, or if you've gone through the same thing, etc.
Based on your post, you should not be giving advice.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:54 AM

861 posts, read 2,433,908 times
While a person is employed by a company they are expected to perform all reasonable duties assigned by the employer. Refusing to perform an assigned task is grounds for termination plan and simple.

And no... There will no grounds for a lawsuit. No one can force you to train your replacement but don't expect to continue working there if you start saying no to your boss.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:03 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,302,776 times
It's so low that employees are asked to train their replacements. I've never had to go through that and hopefully won't, but I surely wouldn't be giving the trainee any of my personal tips and tricks, nor any shortcuts I learned myself to become efficient on the job. I'd never just fork over my skill set to anyone. Just the bare bones.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:29 AM

3,974 posts, read 9,551,509 times
Sadly, I've been in that situation. I can't even begin to explain how demoralizing and depressing it is when you realize what is happening. I did just enough to keep my job and devoted most of my energy to looking for another job. I left as soon as I could and without thought as to whether or not my replacements were trained. As far as I know, there isn't any legal recourse.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:07 PM

6,285 posts, read 19,323,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
It's so low that employees are asked to train their replacements. I've never had to go through that and hopefully won't, but I surely wouldn't be giving the trainee any of my personal tips and tricks, nor any shortcuts I learned myself to become efficient on the job. I'd never just fork over my skill set to anyone. Just the bare bones.
This is the way to be professional about the situation. I've trained many people but because I was on the way out on my own terms.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:20 PM

17,199 posts, read 21,264,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
And this is exactly how you do it.

You can't refuse but sure don't have to go out of your way and be helpful, just the bare bones and if you can make it as confusing as possible without making it too obvious.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:09 PM

735 posts, read 938,341 times
Well, at least it seems like they are being open about what they are doing. But that is probably only attributable to the the scale of the hiring and training going on. In many cases, management will attempt to conceal their objectives under the guise of cross-training. The subject that is slated to be discharged may be assigned to train their replacement and never know what's coming. Then suddently and unexpectedly - BANG!

Old 07-01-2011, 09:35 PM

6,252 posts, read 15,670,392 times
Thank you, everyone. This is no more than what I expected to hear, of course.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:52 PM

13,983 posts, read 14,630,987 times
I have trained replacements before. I just can't compete with someone willing to work for 9 bucks an hour, so I was happy to earn my wage for another month. It also gave me time to do some job searching
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment