U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:59 AM

43 posts, read 203,048 times
Default How does the background check work?

Hi everyone,

I was hired by a company and they will be doing a background and employment check on my first day. I have nothing to hide, but it's never a very pleasant feeling.

How do employment checks work? Will they ask me for the exact dates of employment and company on an application and check everything themselves?
If they use a private background search company, will they still ask me to fill out an application. I haven't filled one out yet.

I'm a little worried because I worked for a F500 company, but they provide employment verification records through a contractor for my position. If the company calls my ex employer, they might not be able to verify my employment whereas if they call the contractor who handles that they'll verify my employment at the F500 company.

I've also worked abroad in a company that has gone through many mergers and partnerships. Will it sound weird for them.

What's my best option to make sure nothing goes wrong (everything I stated on my resume is correct)? Should I give them the phone numbers of people to call directly (make my own job application)?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 02:25 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,550,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchargers View Post
Hi everyone,

I was hired by a company and they will be doing a background and employment check on my first day. I have nothing to hide, but it's never a very pleasant feeling.

How do employment checks work? Will they ask me for the exact dates of employment and company on an application and check everything themselves?
If they use a private background search company, will they still ask me to fill out an application. I haven't filled one out yet.

I'm a little worried because I worked for a F500 company, but they provide employment verification records through a contractor for my position. If the company calls my ex employer, they might not be able to verify my employment whereas if they call the contractor who handles that they'll verify my employment at the F500 company.

I've also worked abroad in a company that has gone through many mergers and partnerships. Will it sound weird for them.

What's my best option to make sure nothing goes wrong (everything I stated on my resume is correct)? Should I give them the phone numbers of people to call directly (make my own job application)?

Thanks
I feel the same way and don't understand why they can't just complete the process beforehand. It's nervewracking...I think it's mostly this way because we have all been looking for gainful employment for so long and the recession has just made it hard on everyone.

I'm in a different situation. Temping and a company may be interested in bringing me on permanently. I have to wait a few weeks to find out..but it's nervewracking to say the least.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:50 PM

43 posts, read 203,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
I feel the same way and don't understand why they can't just complete the process beforehand. It's nervewracking...I think it's mostly this way because we have all been looking for gainful employment for so long and the recession has just made it hard on everyone.

I'm in a different situation. Temping and a company may be interested in bringing me on permanently. I have to wait a few weeks to find out..but it's nervewracking to say the least.

Good luck and I look forward to a post of yours indicating that you are starting permanently!

What does everyone think of my situation? Should I ask my employers for employment verification letters?

Old 07-02-2011, 06:24 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,550,840 times
Just explain to them what you just explained to us. They will understand. This way, there are no surprises when they run your background. What your ex-company does is not uncommon, so they won't be surprised.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:34 AM

Location: If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
12,345 posts, read 4,845,343 times
It's unusual to do the background check after you're already hired. Typically, yes, you'd have to fill out an application that includes:

Company name
Company location
Dates of employment
Job title
Employment verification phone number

Sometimes they also want:
Salary
Supervisor name & title

You should contact your previous employers now and confirm what number prospective employers should call for employment verification. Don't leave it up to the new company to find a phone number - you need to provide the correct number.

Nothing you described about your situation is unusual so there's nothing to explain. Just give them the information they request and they'll do the rest. They should be very familiar with employment verification companies and companies that have merged/changed names. This is new for you but not for them.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:40 AM

756 posts, read 1,091,579 times
If in doubt, give them direct numbers...

Bit of advice for job seekers: Do a background check on yourself. I was applying for a job and everything went great and they said that all that was left was the background check - I never heard from the company again. They wouldn't even return my calls. I called a local detective agency and paid them $35.00 for a background check. I have a very unusual name (or so I thought). The detective agency's first step was to put my name in the criminal background data base and WOW!! Someone with my exact name was listed all over with drug bust, losing their children to DHR, police evasion etc. The thing was that they didn't have her social listed. I had a moving traffic violation for an expired tag that did show up under MY social. I asked the agency if the hiring company would look at the fact that the other person's social was not on there records and that it possibly wasn't me - would they investigate further. He said that unfortunately most companies will go no further and when in doubt, go to the next candidate.

This person has since died. How do I know? The police showed up at my house trying to report me dead (in a fatal car accident while running from the police no less) to my husband. ha ha... Actually the second time that happened to me - Again, because of the unusual name, even officers of the law assume they have the right one....

Long story longer - I now tell all perspective employers to please use my birthdate and social security number when investigating.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:51 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,575,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
If in doubt, give them direct numbers...

Bit of advice for job seekers: Do a background check on yourself. I was applying for a job and everything went great and they said that all that was left was the background check - I never heard from the company again. They wouldn't even return my calls. I called a local detective agency and paid them $35.00 for a background check. I have a very unusual name (or so I thought). The detective agency's first step was to put my name in the criminal background data base and WOW!! Someone with my exact name was listed all over with drug bust, losing their children to DHR, police evasion etc. The thing was that they didn't have her social listed. I had a moving traffic violation for an expired tag that did show up under MY social. I asked the agency if the hiring company would look at the fact that the other person's social was not on there records and that it possibly wasn't me - would they investigate further. He said that unfortunately most companies will go no further and when in doubt, go to the next candidate.

This person has since died. How do I know? The police showed up at my house trying to report me dead (in a fatal car accident while running from the police no less) to my husband. ha ha... Actually the second time that happened to me - Again, because of the unusual name, even officers of the law assume they have the right one....

Long story longer - I now tell all perspective employers to please use my birthdate and social security number when investigating.

Wow, thanks for the tip.

Strangely enough, the military never makes this mistake with me.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:55 AM

12,684 posts, read 13,951,216 times
A background check depends on the employer and kind of work you are doing. In my case at a public agency there was no credit check, but they went through the FBI to check for any criminal activity, criminal friends or relatives, terrorist lists etc. A friend who was going to be hired as a court judge had the same plus credit check, and long detailed written questionaires
that friends had to fill out (including me).

Most normal jobs are done by using a company that specializes in research online and in person or phone based on your supplied data, and may include social media and online forums, verifying previous employment and education. Doing that there are likely to be errors based on misidentification with people having the same name.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:47 PM

76 posts, read 136,710 times
Hello. I have a couple questions that've been eating at my grey matter:

- Would an arrest warrant for a traffic violation show up on a normal background check (haven't currently been able to pay for the ticket, and it's a Wal-Mart background check for instance, not a security clearance type job, or government, police, etc)?

- Will having bad credit turn employers away from me (AAFES, Wal-Mart, etc)?

Old 03-26-2012, 03:08 PM

2,285 posts, read 2,978,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Star View Post
Hello. I have a couple questions that've been eating at my grey matter:

- Would an arrest warrant for a traffic violation show up on a normal background check (haven't currently been able to pay for the ticket, and it's a Wal-Mart background check for instance, not a security clearance type job, or government, police, etc)?

- Will having bad credit turn employers away from me (AAFES, Wal-Mart, etc)?

Yes, the warrant if still active will show up, especially if the employer is doing a detailed search and what you put on your application. Poice, government and other jobs that require a clearance most definitely.

In this day and age depending on the type of job you will be filling, probably. They are aware people make mistakes and fall on hard times.

I can say without a doubt that if your credit is in the gutter and you are applying to work at a bank or other job where you will be handling cash, you can more or less kiss that goodbye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment