U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 05:09 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,781,771 times

Advertisements

One trait I have noticed in many workplaces.

Is the sheer amount of people who outwardly appear the friendly, decent colleagues but inwardly are withholding information, playing dumb, and looking to gain any minimal advantage.

For example - A software programme which tool which relatively straightforward to use, but might be a little clunky to use - Colleagues will give you no hints, tips pointers, overview.

They won't give you the real knowledge to get the job done well - its bare minimal information

Colleagues work in isolation, and don't speak often, therefore may present conflictiing reports.

A team of people may be doing the same job, but doing the job differently, no one has made any best practises, systems or procedures.

Poor channels of communication, decisions are made that effect your job - and you hear about it through the grapevine or informally, other colleagues will know about it but sometimes won't tell you.

People who have been working in a dept for a long time - but when pushed for any further knowledge than the basics, just have not got it - they just do the minimum. There always trying to appear intelligent and knowledgable but when asked simple questions they struggle.

Management who are in the background going to all the meetings, and are hearing about everything that is happening, but won't share, motivate or manage their team.

Managers who simply won't give there team members any expectations, coaching, training, help or management.

My Point is this - What many people call hard work is often just down the fact they are simply not getting the information to perform their job - New people are brought in and left to re invent the wheel everytime and struggle.

With a little team work, and decent management - the average job could be so much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 06:48 AM

756 posts, read 1,714,531 times
Wow, where to start.

Some of this is due to job security, "If I am the only one that knows about this report, short-cut, program, etc I will be perceived as better and have more knowledge and an edge".

Some of it is due to Company Management. When I hear of situations like this, it comes from the top down so I figure there is some insecure person holding senior level position.

I am experiencing all of this right now and have actually found myself participating. I do share when asked directly but, I don't volunteer - I use to be the consummate team player. Due to a controlling new boss, that has created an atomosphere of distrust and competition amongst employees, I am not so much anymore and kind of dissappointed in myself as I usually don't allow other peoples actions to drive my own.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:12 AM

Yes of course people are expected to work in their own self interest and try to secure their job.

But surely thats where the management should be enforcing people to share information, and and build teams.

Its weak management not standing up to self serving subordinates that is the problem.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:34 PM

12,673 posts, read 14,005,324 times
If someone does not know something they should, at some point it becomes their responsibility to ask. For those who want to advance their careers, they should be making it their missions to learning something new at least every week. Even if a question sounds stupid, my saying is, it's better to ask a stupid question than to make a stupid mistake.

Depending on management to solve ones shortcomings in knowledge and skills is a loosing strategy. They are probably dealing with bigger issues, since they have to manage so many people. If your new on a job, than much of your time is expected to be spent learning how things operate in the workplace, and preparing to be efficient at your assigned role.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:14 PM

Yes of course its their responsibility to ask if they don't know something specifically.

What happens so many times in a workplace is - A person takes over a job with minimal handover - it takes them 2 or 3 months to figure out all the things they don't know, and what they need to know, and what to improve. The people doing the job previously have faced the same issues.

But often what is required is coaching, training. A decent amount of proper training - could eliminate all of this. With what requires to be improved, and what are the past problems, what are the goals of the job.

There told to be "proactive" - which is all well and good - but often happens is they focus on low value work, run around doing work which is outside their job specification in order to look busy and efficent.

I believe that the corporate workplace - most people are always working in their own self interest, there is no real team work, and people are effectively left to make mistakes by the managers and colleagues - its all about job survival - Am I being too cynical?

Old 07-02-2011, 03:24 PM

15,726 posts, read 26,753,064 times
Sounds archaic to me. I am teaching my jobs to others. My director is teaching me his job. Their needs to be that kind of interaction in order for a smooth transition when a movement occurs. I have seen in the past where plenty of people became the gatekeeprs for processes that they were over. It is time consuming to draw their knowledge base out of them. These kinds of people need to realize that they don't own their jobs or their positions. Many companies were there long before the employee got there and they will be their long after the employee walks away.

I will mention that for the first year an employee cost an employer money. It can take that long to learn what is needed to get the job done correctly.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:58 PM

12,673 posts, read 14,005,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
I believe that the corporate workplace - most people are always working in their own self interest, there is no real team work, and people are effectively left to make mistakes by the managers and colleagues - its all about job survival - Am I being too cynical?
Yes, but don't forget, sometimes mistakes can be the best teachers of all. I could tell you something and you might remember it for a bit. After a few weeks of not encountering the problem, most will forget what I said. When you make a mistake though, that tends to stick in ones brain for quite some time, perhaps till the end of their careers.

When training new staff, I will let them make small mistakes that won't cause any harm. If they learn from it, then I know there is potential in them, and I will focus my efforts on passing down my tips, tricks, knowledge and skills, ect. If they don't learn... Well, I'm not going to waste my time trying to teach them because they obviously can't learn. I do it as a gauge of potential, not because I'm mean or I get my kicks out of it.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:06 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,698,893 times
I work with a mean, old B****! She has done nothing but make my work harder. I don't know what her problem is...she does not know the concept of the word "team".

So, you just work with others...and leave mean people to deal with their own issues...eventually people catch on who the mean ones are...

I would not Pi$$ on this woman if she was on fire.

Last edited by jasper12; 07-02-2011 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 07-02-2011, 05:17 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,970,721 times
We used to call that type of info "temple secrets" and you had to work there long enough for us to trust you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:57 PM

298 posts, read 336,574 times
I had an office job like that one time. It was terrible! When I started, I received no training whatsoever. None! I had to either figure it out or ask someone.It took me six months to learn what could have been taught to me in a week. I do not understand how that company manages to stay in business. Like many other people there, I quit after just a year, so most of my pay was wasted on working very inefficiently. Would you be surprised to learn that we had terrible customer service? My boss constantly set up traps and loved to point out when I failed one of her traps. I filed compalints against her with her boss and with HR but to no avail. The whole thing was like some kind of game to them, with their foolish clients footing the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment