Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:14 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,546,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadwood86 View Post
well, we know that there are actually plenty of jobs out there, ready for takers at pretty much any time.

but then again, many people prefer unemployment to taking these jobs, which they consider to be beneath them.

i write this as i read an article about how despite California's ridiculously high unemployment rate, San Diego manufacturers just can't find any workers

Are the manufacturers advertising their location or positions? Are they paying a wage that supports California rents?

That kind of reminds me how South GA farmers claim they can't find anyone or anyone good enough to work their fields. In the article they are attributed as random farmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 03:23 PM

15 posts, read 37,481 times
Don't know if this is the article referenced by tomadwood86, but it might be:

While unemployment is high some San Diego manufacturers can’t find workers

Old 07-07-2011, 03:25 PM

15 posts, read 37,481 times

Old 07-07-2011, 04:02 PM

29,702 posts, read 24,784,687 times
Quote:
well, we know that there are actually plenty of jobs out there, ready for takers at pretty much any time.

but then again, many people prefer unemployment to taking these jobs, which they consider to be beneath them.

i write this as i read an article about how despite California's ridiculously high unemployment rate, San Diego manufacturers just can't find any workers
These types of manufacturing jobs require thinkers... Last I checked, those people were all working on their finance degrees...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music1812 View Post

After reading the article, I was surprised to read their estimate that 40% of manufacturing jobs will require post-secondary education. How can anyone say that when many people go to college so they don't have to work in a factory? These places are often hot, noisy, sometimes dirty... Is that any place anyone want's to hang their degree?

No doubt about it, if this country is still going to be a leader in manufacturing (number #1 still today), there will be a critical shortage of workers. Nearly 60% of the current workforce is going to be retiring in the next decade. These companies are either going to have to up the entry level wages, or bring back the apprenticeship programs like the old days. Work 8 hours a day and attend classes at night.

These jobs available are not just repetitive, brainless work anymore. You can't just take a highschool kid and plop him in front of a half a million dollar machine, or three at the same time for that matter, and expect to make some money. With unemployment so high in this country, it's ironic that the sector that made this country rich can't seem to find workers with mechanical aptitude and/or brains...

Old 07-07-2011, 04:27 PM

398 posts, read 1,364,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music1812 View Post

That article says that those manufacturers are having a hard time finding employees with the "required skill sets" they are looking for... not that there aren't many people who want those jobs.

So that article is not about people who "prefer to be unemployed" as tomadwoods suggests.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:09 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,651,651 times
Quote:

You obviously haven't been out of work in the last 2 years.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:15 PM

8,598 posts, read 9,095,508 times
Having been in manufacturing over 30+ years, plants who constantly complain they can not find decent workers is because they do not pay a decent wage and most likely do not provide benefits of any sort.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:57 AM

165 posts, read 304,130 times
can someone pay me to go around D.C. punching politicians in the face? because I'll do it.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:40 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,565,348 times
"Krauthammer usually takes the right wing view. Now even he says the GOP has no plan."

I really suggest you read some of his bio. Charles Krauthammer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He is an M.D. in Psychiatry. He is a paraplegic from a diving accident his first year of med school. Spent a year in hospital while continuing his medical studies. Some of his political views are conservative but is mostly liberal on social issues.

He is one of the few commentators I listen to.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:16 PM

165 posts, read 304,130 times
He seems like a cool guy

I've been looked at as liberal from my extreme neo-conservative peers (I live in Florida) but how else couldn't I with them being so entrenched to one side? haha

But I've learned I am very conservative in a lot of areas like belief in small government, states rights, freedom of business practices, right of arms etc. The reason these things fell to the waste side is people just abused the hell out of them and totally threw morals out the window business wise (neo-cons. in big business) just look at how big the Bush gov't was. Obama is obviously all for huge gov't so nothing to say there, we already know. Liberals tend to believe in the babysitter ideology which is just asking for financial problems like we see ourselves in right now. ala "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

I like the conservative view on a strong family unit. Which is totally lost these days.

I just don't get into politics because It is such a worthless/unworthy game IMO. There's always going to be chaos and with such extreme oppositions the only ways people will work together is in times of serious crisis. Which is pitiful but reality here. I do like to discuss it with people though (which being in Florida, NO ONE likes to talk politics, HUGE taboo. They blindly participate but don't discuss it which is hilarious to me.)

But yeah, thanks for pointing this guy out, smart dude, although I disagree with his foreign policy some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment