U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-10-2011, 03:54 PM

233 posts, read 76,774 times
Question Being hired when over 55 years old

I know there are laws against age discrimination, but what is the reality for gaining employment when you are over 55? Are companies resistant to hire?

Clinical Research field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 10:08 PM

4,806 posts, read 10,883,273 times
You are asking a yes/no question that cannot be answered with a yes/no answer.

There are plenty of people over 55 who are dedicated workers with strong work ethic and leadership skills. There are also plenty of people over 55 who have let their qualifications atrophy and are really just coasting toward retirement. It's no different than applicants of any other age: just as many middle-aged workers who are focused on building their families, as there are middle-aged workers who are not interested in a family; just as many entry-level workers who are enthusiastic and ingenious workers as there are 20-somethings with entitlement attitudes. There is no one description for an entire age bracket.

The truth is, companies want to hire good, qualified people who will work hard. What an applicant might plan to do in ten years usually isn't at the top of an employer's mind when they are making a hiring decision. Nearly every other variable is more important than age.

But if you want to make your age an issue, then it certainly will be one.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:07 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,991,173 times
I believe age is an issue.

I have applied for multiple jobs where I met/exceeded every requirement listed and heard nothing. Jobs in my exact field that would have required no training.

Employers will hire younger workers when they can. Insurance is also an issue because it's more expensive for older workers.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:05 AM

12,684 posts, read 13,951,216 times
I was hired in my current job at over 55, have had a promotion since and recently hired two new people, one 28 and the other 54. Many companies simply hire the best qualified person regardless of age.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:01 AM

20,524 posts, read 22,551,554 times
Kodaka is right in that there is no answer to the question posed.

At 65 years old I'm closing the restaurant I've had for the last 15 years at the end of this month and selling off everything down to the last ceiling fan blade! I can't afford to retire (SS hardly makes a dent here where COL is concerned) but once I've got myself settled in and have had a month or so off (what a fantastic prospect that is!) then I'll start looking into and deciding what I want to be when I grow up.

I have a couple of little irons in the fire which could well spark a big furnace blow but, interestingly enough, I've actually received two genuine offers of employment from two corporate CEOs here. I worked corporate for many, many years and have absolutely no desire to get back into that routine. At this point an old tee shirt, worn baggy pants and a spade in my hand are way more comfortable than a tailored shirt and skirt and REAL SHOES and MANICURES!!!!

I've hired and fired many people of many different ages in many different arenas over many years. There have been some seasoned older workers who've been fantastic and an equal number who sounded good but couldn't walk and chew gum to save their lives. Likewise younger ones. You just never know.

I know it's not that simple but I'm just stating basics from my perspective. If two people are even interested in hiring a feisty old broad like me then surely there must be hope for everyone. But I AM good at what I set my mind to and always have been, have always had a good work ethic whether working as an employee or running my own businesses. I've always given 100%.

Excellent point, bisjoe!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment