Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times

Advertisements

I'm a mechanical engineer who graduated two years ago. I worked my first job for 1 year and quit due to terrible pay and ridiculous hours. I've been at my current (second) job for just over a year. Pay is on the lower end of the middle of the road for entry level but I enjoy the work and the people. My biggest focus is my future.

Seeing as how I'm only 24, I'm really starting to look forward. I want to set myself up to go as far as I can. A huge paycheck would be great, but I'm more concerned about keeping up my professional momentum. As soon as I get my student loans under control I'm going to take advantage of my employer's tuition reimbursement to go back to school and further my education. Here are some questions I have about reaching my full potential professionally:

-Which track has the most potential: MSME, Masters in engineering management, or MBA? I have a strong interest in all three tracks.

-What sorts of certifications can I actively pursue?

-How can I maximize my earning potential? I've read many who think that I would work for several years and leverage my experience either within the company or elsewhere to obtain a higher position. Thoughts?

-Are there any skills that are/will be highly in demand that I can start developing now in my early career?

My goal isn't vast wealth, but earning potential is important to me because I will have a family one day. I'm interested in opinions and advice from all walks of life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 07:36 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
There is no one answer to these questions. It really all depends on individual factors.

For example, just because you are interested in all three does not mean you have the same aptitude for all three. And even if one track has more advancement potential, if it doesn't advance you toward the type of work you want to do, then it doesn't matter. Only you can answer these questions. Look inside you. Use the force.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Look inside you. Use the force.
I try to use the force sparingly. I've heard it's highly addictive and can often lead to Intergalactic unrest.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:26 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I try to use the force sparingly. I've heard it's highly addictive and can often lead to Intergalactic unrest.
Great wisdom of the force you possess, young one.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:50 AM

123 posts, read 245,560 times
What qualifications do the upper-management folks in your company/ industry possess? If you don't know ask around and try to get a mentor.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:09 PM

550 posts, read 1,355,358 times
Getting a mentor within the company or within the industry is very important. Someone that is successful would be the key. They can help you become successful because of their wisdom and experience.

I know in engineering you can either go the technical route, sales route, or management route. All three requires different sets of skills. The best advice I can give is to work hard at obtaining and mastering those skills for the above and a few years down the line you'll realize where your calling is. Get some experience in these areas and you will find out if being a technical expert or project manager is better for you.

I'm an engineer as well and would like to become a project manager in the future. I know that I do not want to be a technical expert but project management is a beast in itself. You won't know until you tried them.

As far as schooling goes:

Masters in Engineering - can't hurt to get but will help if you are going the technical route
Masters in Engineering Management - May help with engineering projects but not sure outside of it (i have no idea)
MBA - Most MBA programs I've seen are finance and management related. All about the bottom line, which is very important at some companies. You can go into more corporate positions with this.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tban View Post
As far as schooling goes:

Masters in Engineering - can't hurt to get but will help if you are going the technical route
Masters in Engineering Management - May help with engineering projects but not sure outside of it (i have no idea)
MBA - Most MBA programs I've seen are finance and management related. All about the bottom line, which is very important at some companies. You can go into more corporate positions with this.

Some people have said that the Engineering/MBA combo is a power combo. I think there are even some schools that offer a specialized MBA for engineers that are considering taking a shot at the business side of things. From what I've heard, engineering/MBA can be hit or miss. Many companies have CEOs that have an engineering degree. I would think that this is the way it would go for the engineering/MBA track if successful.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:52 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Get your PE and go work overseas for a while. Save up a bucketload of money because of the tax advantages. Learn about other cultures and experience everything possible. After you do this for a while, re-evaluate.

Overseas employment is a good thing to put on a resume and once you have completed overseas assignments, it will almost always be possible to get another one. And if you really want that MBA, do it online while working wherever. Americans usually live in compounds with great satellite and net access.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:42 PM

29,803 posts, read 24,880,628 times
So much of your success is dependent on things that are largely out of your control. Landing a good job where the employer is interested in developing talent... That is huge, but it takes luck these days.

What you should be doing at any job is learning from those older and wiser, who have been doing your job for years. These might be the grumpiest, most easily irritated people at your work, but try to break the ice with them! If you can show a genuine desire to follow in their footsteps, they will go out of their way to help you develop the skills truly pertinent to your job. You will learn more form these people than you every will in a classroom. These are the guys who have survived recessionary layoffs throughout many decades, and they are still working now for a good reason. I cannot stress this enough, respect and learn from your elders.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:55 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
How much did you make and what did you design at your 1st company?

What do you design at your 2nd company?

What are your mech eng skill sets? Like sheet metal, plastic design, castings, etc?

I'd say only big companies want someone with a Master's. Many companies are happy with hiring BSME's as they are cheaper. If they want cheap they'll hire someone with an Associate's. And some schools that train for Associates seem to have better technical courses than what you get at a 4 year college. Like they don't teach Hydraulics, Pneumatics, *** & Fixture design, and PLCs at 4 year colleges.

What school did you graduate from? Your lucky to get a job in this bad economy!

Last edited by Jesse69; 07-18-2011 at 03:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment