Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 03:03 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,434,914 times

Advertisements

I'm 20 and I've been in college for 2 years and I've never had a job. I may be young, but even at my age, it appears employers expect you to have some type of experience. If I can't get hired at the simplest of jobs now, how am I supposed to get hired at a "real" job after college?

I learn stuff from my classes, so it's not like my college experience is totally useless.

But my mom says if I don't get a job during college, I won't be able to get a job after college. But sometimes she tells me how important it is to work after college. Talk about contradictory. She tells me I won't be able to get a job, but then she says I should.

My mom says I'm desperate for experience. But if someone's not willing to hire me, there's not much I can do about that.

And frankly, there are more people than there are jobs. There's no way to employ everyone. That's why there's always an unemployment rate (even during good economic times).

If there are so many people that are more qualified than me, how am I supposed to get a job?

And yes, I'd be willing to move (not just anywhere, but I'd be willing to move to some other places). However, it takes money to move and employers prefer local candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 03:11 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,333,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post

I learn stuff from my classes, so it's not like my college experience is totally useless.

But my mom says if I don't get a job during college, I won't be able to get a job after college.

And yes, I'd be willing to move (not just anywhere, but I'd be willing to move to some other places). However, it takes money to move and employers prefer local candidates.
What is your major? It doesn't matter if you are learning stuff. It matters if you are learning marketable skills. I'd focus on a degree that gets you that ie computer science, engineering, economics, accounting/finance, or nursing.

You should definitely get an internship for experience. That is much more valuable than working retail or fast food.

Being willing to move is not enough. Most companies will just toss the resumes of entry level candidates that are not local. You need to have a plan or friends to stay with and use that address when you apply.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
What is your major? It doesn't matter if you are learning stuff. It matters if you are learning marketable skills. I'd focus on a degree that gets you that ie computer science, engineering, economics, accounting/finance, or nursing.

You should definitely get an internship for experience. That is much more valuable than working retail or fast food.

Being willing to move is not enough. Most companies will just toss the resumes of entry level candidates that are not local. You need to have a plan or friends to stay with and use that address when you apply.
My major is Geography. And even though I've only been in college for 2 years, I'm ahead in terms of progress in my major. I have 76 credits. I'm set to graduate a semester early. What I'm trying to say is changing majors is not an option at this point.

But my degree is an emphasis in GIS, which is a skill.

And when I said jobs on my OP, that includes internships. But in a way, internships are like jobs in the sense that it helps to be a local candidate. In theory, you can do an internship anywhere. But in reality, it can be hard to make things work out if the internship is far away.

My parents live 2,000 miles away and they would let me move in after college. But other than that and Las Cruces, there are no other places where I could be considered a "local" candidate.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:32 PM

994 posts, read 1,820,589 times
Geography is a good strong degree, especially if you are concentrating in GIS. GIS is a very strong field to get into. I would advise in volunteering your time or doing an internship, even if it's unpaid for experience. In this day in age, in this economy, in this dog eat dog world, graduating college with no experience will really hurt you when looking for a job. You still have time, but really try hard now to find that internship. Just don't get any job. Working at Subway just so you can gain experience will not help you.

My undergraduate was in Geography as well. While in college I spent the first two years working at a gym which was solely for money reasons. My junior and senior year I had a two year internship while in school for a real estate magazine that disected neighborhoods, trends, urban life, etc, in which my studying Geography came in really handy.

Upon graduation from college with my B.A. in Geography, I got a job for a publishing company that publishes zoning GIS maps. My internship working with a magazine and in the publishing industry really gave me a leg up in getting that job. Now I work in a consulting firm. Get as much experience as you can while in college. It will only help you.

Again GIS is a real good field to get into. I got out of it because I just did not like GIS all that much.

On a side note, I had a friend who graduate from a Masters (went straight from a Masters to a Bachelors) with absolutely no experience and is now working at a restaurant/bar getting paid minimum wage. Degrees are valuable, but really only valuable with relevant/work skill experience.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:48 PM

50 posts, read 197,178 times
I agree with chikid. And if you cannot get a proper internship contact professors you know in your department that might need assistance in projects that they might be working on, and gain some experience doing that.

Additionally I think BAE Systems has an office in Las Cruces who sometimes have GIS positions open, as well as GeoStat which I believe provides planning and GIS services.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARparty View Post
I agree with chikid. And if you cannot get a proper internship contact professors you know in your department that might need assistance in projects that they might be working on, and gain some experience doing that.

Additionally I think BAE Systems has an office in Las Cruces who sometimes have GIS positions open, as well as GeoStat which I believe provides planning and GIS services.
I see your location is Philadelphia. Do you know of any GIS employers in Philadelphia? Because my parents might be living in Philadelphia when I graduate.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:48 PM

83 posts, read 246,461 times
You should try to apply for internships in the fall since most students apply for summer internships there's more competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment