Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 05:40 PM

433 posts, read 1,365,492 times

Advertisements

So I'm going through my 3-month probation period at work and I'll have 1 month down at the end of this week. As some of you may know, I'm working as a cashier-stocker at the dollar store. So far, working at the cash is going okay. I got the hang of it and I'm used to it now. (If anyone read my previous post, nothing resulted from the condom-to-child incident).

The problem I'm currently going through is the stocking. I have to have things stocked properly and now they're evaluating me for time. After I make a mistake and the managers come and see what I did, I realize the mistake could have been avoided if I just used logic and common sense. Like, stock one product at a time, or don't stock something on the shelf that has a different price listed for another product, which happened today.

I don't know why I did those things I mentioned. Maybe because I'm being evaluated for time and I get nervous? I have 2 months of probation left and I really hope I can fix this problem and be more alert.

Any other advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 10:21 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,822,384 times
Does it matter?

It's a minimum wage job. If you don't pass the probationary period and get fired, just get another minimum wage job. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:44 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,473,018 times
I know I already commented on this in a similar thread of yours, but you do work at a dollar store. It seems like you're taking your job a little too seriously. I know 16 year old kids who work at dollar stores with their normal 8 hour school day and they don't think anything of it.

If you spend less time over-analyzing your job, I think you'll find it will go a lot easier for you.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:38 AM

433 posts, read 1,365,492 times
Are you guys serious? I'm near 20 years old and I can't keep mooching off my parents forever. Minimum-wage job or not, do you guys think it was easy to find it? It's hard to find a job that I'm qualified for even if it's minimum wage.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:00 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,386,600 times
Thumbs up I hear ya...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
Are you guys serious? I'm near 20 years old and I can't keep mooching off my parents forever. Minimum-wage job or not, do you guys think it was easy to find it? It's hard to find a job that I'm qualified for even if it's minimum wage.
And I think that your concerns of doing a better job are to be applauded.
I know how easy it is to make 'avoidable' mistakes if the process had been thought out abit longer at first. I'm sure your disappointment in yourself must have been obvious to whoever is evaluating you. At least you know that these particular issues won't happen again. I'm dismayed at how light-hearted other replies have been to you. You may be just starting out right now...but then again...you may own a few dozen 'Dollar Stores' in the future. Who knows what good fortunes will come to you. As far as how to pass your probationary period, I would say to be sure to be early to work and near the end of your shift always ask if you are needed to stay over to help complete anything that may be unfinished and always make yourself available to co-workers needing help or advise. Don't call in sick even if you are barfing your guts out and prior to finishing any task take a moment or two and review it before the job's evaluated. However, if you are being evaluated before the job is complete be sure to tell them so. Sounds like you're doing fine. It's ok to worry and 'over analyze' your job.
Koale

Old 07-15-2011, 12:40 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,224,712 times
Always look good, be on time for work, have a neat clean hairstyle. Don't talk on your cell except on breaks, don't check you e mail or text messages unless you are on break. Be quiet, do your job. Never show you are smarter or more liked than the person who hired you.

And it goes without saying, never call in sick. Say yes to work if they call you to cover a shift.

Last edited by jasper12; 07-15-2011 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 07-15-2011, 08:28 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,920,277 times
Id say stay on your toes, get enough sleep and be early when you come in. Always be polite to your coworkers and especially your boss. And do the job right, dont leave problems behind for others to fix.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:45 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,132,175 times
What I'd like to know is, if it's a non-union job, then chances are that it's 'at will' employment, which means that they can boot you at any time (and that includes after the probationary period), then why are probationary periods even mentioned? Are you being promised a raise at the end of that time, or eligible for benefits then?

Old 07-15-2011, 10:09 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,910,762 times
Be humble and apologetic when your errors are pointed out to you. Getting 'fast' will come with practice, so work at a pace that you can maintain accuracy for now. Express your concerns with your supervisor and ask if they have any helpful tips.

Just because it's a job at a dollar store, doesn't mean you shouldn't do your best. If you don't have integrity and a good work ethic while making $8/hr, you won't have it when presented with an opportunity to make more.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:17 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,847,095 times
I have to agree with coolsocks. It sounds like you are micro-analyzing your job to such a degree that you are getting distracted from actually doing your job, with all the psycho-analysis.

Don't start thinking about what they are going to write or say in your performance review, or what someone else said about the last time you made a mistake, or anything like that. Just think about what you are assigned to do. Practice slow breathing if it helps. Check your own work before you let your manager review it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment