U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 10:22 PM

999 posts, read 447,282 times

Advertisements

While this isn't my first salaried position that I currently have out of college, merely the second, I am realizing that this new company that I work, I absolutely love. Love the coworkers, the actual job, what the company does, the potential, the perks, etc. I am fairly new but out of the 8 people that work there, 5 of them have been there 15+ years and they all started out straight from college. The other 3 (including myself) are fairly new. Also, they are all under 45. So more or less they have all been there since they were about 23 or so. Meaning the retention rate is really strong.

So my question is how common is it for someone about my age (25) to start a life long career at one company? Its seems like most people move around a lot. I almost feel with the perks, potential and atmosphere that I kind of want to be there forever. I know, I am young an naive, but I am just curious if anyone (and I'd like to hear from older folk) that have stuck with one company for all, if not most, of their career?

What are the pros and cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 11:52 PM

8,525 posts, read 8,180,109 times
Those days are over. Not even for the so called safe gvmnt jobs.

Not to mention why would you want to spend your entire career at one place. Do you have a desire to see other places?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
While this isn't my first salaried position that I currently have out of college, merely the second, I am realizing that this new company that I work, I absolutely love. Love the coworkers, the actual job, what the company does, the potential, the perks, etc. I am fairly new but out of the 8 people that work there, 5 of them have been there 15+ years and they all started out straight from college. The other 3 (including myself) are fairly new. Also, they are all under 45. So more or less they have all been there since they were about 23 or so. Meaning the retention rate is really strong.

So my question is how common is it for someone about my age (25) to start a life long career at one company? Its seems like most people move around a lot. I almost feel with the perks, potential and atmosphere that I kind of want to be there forever. I know, I am young an naive, but I am just curious if anyone (and I'd like to hear from older folk) that have stuck with one company for all, if not most, of their career?

What are the pros and cons?

Old 07-15-2011, 06:25 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,631,400 times
It's not very common any more, but if you like the job and they like you, stay as long as you want. There's nothing wrong with it.

But you're waaaaaaaay ahead of yourself.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:46 AM

1,365 posts, read 508,116 times
I am fairly new but out of the 8 people that work there, 5 of them have been there 15+ years and they all started out straight from college.

Have those 5 people ever being promoted or are they doing the same thing since college???? If the pay is good, job advancement is possible and the work environment is tolerable then i would stay with a company for my entire career but it has not been that way.

Job hopping or job rotation is a better way to become a dynamic business person since you gain more skills and experience.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:15 AM

999 posts, read 447,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klato View Post
I am fairly new but out of the 8 people that work there, 5 of them have been there 15+ years and they all started out straight from college.

Have those 5 people ever being promoted or are they doing the same thing since college???? If the pay is good, job advancement is possible and the work environment is tolerable then i would stay with a company for my entire career but it has not been that way.

Job hopping or job rotation is a better way to become a dynamic business person since you gain more skills and experience.
Yes all five have been promoted. The person who is VP right now started in my position 15 years ago, which is just a step above an administrative assistant.

I definitely know I am getting ahead of myself. It's just in this company, there is really a freedom to do your own thing, get your own clients. So for instance the VP has his own clients doing his own thing. I think I am just in a honeymoon phase with the job, but I love it, and I tend to get way ahead of myself, so I am sure in 15 years from now there is a high chance I moved on.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:27 AM

3,534 posts, read 1,903,448 times
I don't know about everyone else, but I can't imagine the idea of working at one place for 30 years. I don't know how the workers of yesteryear did it, but I certainly couldn't.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:33 AM

1,688 posts, read 2,143,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I don't know about everyone else, but I can't imagine the idea of working at one place for 30 years. I don't know how the workers of yesteryear did it, but I certainly couldn't.
Yeah, this. I've left a few jobs that I could have stayed at for the rest of my working life, but just got antsy for various reasons. It looks like I'm about to get another relatively secure job that could offer me long-term stability, and my age plus the current job market is going to make me lean towards sticking around a while and making much more carefully planned moves if I do at all.

To answer the OP's question, I'd imagine it's almost unheard of. But I agree with the poster that said as long as you love it, your career/financial needs are being met, and they'll have you, stay there.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:43 AM

408 posts, read 443,422 times
When you are young like your self, work there few years say three to five years. Then you need to move to another job, first you want to increase your salary. You need goal in life, you don't want to work rest of your life. Make a goal for your self and say you will retire by age 55. In order to get that, you need to do Job hopping

I am sure other companies might have perks, you can always compare and choose the best one.

I never did job hopping, now I have kids so many other things, it's very hard for me to pack up and leave. My salary is O.K but I don't think I can retire in age 55.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:25 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,084,047 times
Maybe this will sound cliche, but I'd say do what you want. Obviously, since you just started, a lot may change over the course of your employment. In a few years, you may get bored. It's hard to say this early on.

If you remain happy with the pay, the bennies, the work environment, your co-workers, etc., over the course of 30 years, I see nothing wrong with staying there. When people say that it's not common, it's because they are referring to the fact that many companies have cut back significantly. They don't offer good pay, they don't offer good bennies, and they certainly do not offer growth potential over the long run. If you found one that does, then cheers to you.

I'm in a similar situation, but I haven't even started with the new company yet. From what I've learned through the interview process and my own research, it seems like a company I could work at for a very long time. Only time will tell though. Perhaps later on I will want to switch careers.

Congrats on this gig and hopefully it works out for you for a very long time.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:32 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,451,037 times
I don't know anyone who's worked at just 1 place their entire life (from graduating from college to retirement age). That's probably rarer than someone hitting the Lotto or being struck by lightening. I remember reading somewhere about a decade or so ago now that the average person has 7 jobs/careers in his/her lifetime...& I'm assuming they weren't even counting all the little fast food, retail jobs one does in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment